PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite moisturizer?

rhymegirl
03-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I think the thing that works best is baby oil. And it smells good, too!

William Haskins
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
a woman's tears.

tiny
03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
a woman's tears.

Do they cry when they just see you or do you have to talk to them?

I just can't help myself.

(Dove Nourishing.)

rtilryarms
03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
A woman's love, although I just took mine off the shelf and noticed that the born-on date may have exceeded it's freshness.

I may need a new supply.

rtilryarms
a woman's tears.

Can't you be serious just for once?

William Haskins
Do they cry when they just see you or do you have to talk to them?

it's an either/or, really

tiny
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
it's an either/or, really

Are you sure you aren't just causing their eyes to water? (smell of brimstone and all)

Shadow_Ferret
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I find baby oil is so hard to apply. You really have to rub them against your skin and they're so squirmy.

I use some kind of white goopy stuff my wife got from Avon. Lot less hastle involved.

William Haskins
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Can't you be serious just for once?

i'm always serious.

Sarita
03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Freaks.

I use Aveda (http://www.aveda.com/) Hydrating Lotion.

brokenfingers
03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
WD-40

tiny
03-07-2006, 07:54 PM
WD-40

Problem with a squeak? Hinges perhaps?

Jeneral
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. That, or William Haskins's tears.

aadams73
03-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I love Olay's Regenerist Perfecting Cream

brokenfingers
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Problem with a squeak? Hinges perhaps?My machine. She screams...

NeuroFizz
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Herradura Anejo Tequila. A couple of shots and I'm well-oiled.

Jaycinth
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Suave skin firming cream with Alpha and Beta hydroxy moisturizers. Combined with a several glasses of water a day.

EVEN THOUGH someone tells me I'll get the same result with warm vasoline

Jaycinth
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
WD-40

Hey, sweetheart, isn't that , uh..... FLAMABLE?????:D

(Ok, who hid the HNO3)

Maryn
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I've used L'Oreal's Future-e (formerly called Plenitude) on my face for about ten years now. Absorbs real fast. Contains SPF15 sunscreen. Doesn't seem to irritate or worsen the occasional blemish. (Me, flawed? I know, I was surprised, too!)

I got carded buying alcohol on our daughter's 20th birthday. I was in my 30s when she was born, so I think the stuff works pretty well.

Maryn, who dips herself in Curel everywhere else

rhymegirl
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
I've used L'Oreal's Future-e (formerly called Plenitude) on my face for about ten years now. Absorbs real fast. Contains SPF15 sunscreen. Doesn't seem to irritate or worsen the occasional blemish. (Me, flawed? I know, I was surprised, too!)
Maryn, who dips herself in Curel everywhere else

Just to clarify....I meant baby oil as a body moisturizer.
For a nice complexion, I swear by Pond's.

Stew21
03-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Aveeno has an after-shower oil that is awesome, if you like oils, otherwise, Aveda for me!

WerenCole
03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Herradura Anejo Tequila. A couple of shots and I'm well-oiled.

I second the motion. . .

eldragon
03-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I like Oriflame products ......available in the UK but sometimes you can find it on ebay.

September skies
03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Oil of Olay moisturizer - smells so good and goes on so smooth
or Neutragena - good stuff and reasonable

September skies
03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I find baby oil is so hard to apply. You really have to rub them against your skin and they're so squirmy.
Plus there is always the chance that you'll squeeze too tight and they'll poop

Unique
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Bacon grease.

The cats love it:e2cat: and they are excellent at exfoliating those pesky dead skin cells. :e2faint:

BlackCrowesChick
03-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I use Cetaphil and aloe.

rhymegirl
03-08-2006, 12:50 AM
a woman's tears.

Is there a hidden meaning there?

rtilryarms
03-08-2006, 12:56 AM
I swear by Pond's.

I curse in the vicinity of a beach and the bank of a creek. My expletives are particularly bold in the shallows of a slough.

William Haskins
03-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Is there a hidden meaning there?

no, the meaning should be apparent.

trumancoyote
03-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Jojoba oil is fanforkingtastic.

'specially for sensitive skin.

Sarita
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh, I love my jojoba bath wash from Crabtree. It smells really nice, too.

Annabella
03-08-2006, 02:11 AM
I love Burt's Bees Milk and Honey. It smells wonderful.

Carole
03-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Right now - L'Oreal visible results for eyes
Clean & Clear dual action for my face.
Some sorta seaweed body butter (gift from Christmas) for the rest of me.
I like the body butter bar (say that 3 times fast) that I made for moisturizing my legs, but I used a bit too much patchouli oil - REALLY strong!

Of all time and if I could afford it:
Shiseido Bio Performance (it retailed $60 a jar ten years ago - when I got it for free - no idea how high-dollar it is now) ETA: Holy COW! It's $95 now!!

Christian Dior used to make this FAB anti-puffy eye serum, but I think it's discontinued

Shiseido Benefiance Energizing Essence is fabulous, too. But...can't afford it.

rhymegirl
03-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Some sorta seaweed body butter for the rest of me.

Seaweed body butter. Hmm...now that sounds interesting. But how does it smell?

Carole
03-08-2006, 03:19 AM
It's actually a very sharp, green scent. A bit much to use in the morning unless you wanna smell like cut grass mixed with a forest.

September skies
03-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Right now - L'Oreal visible results for eyes...
Christian Dior used to make this FAB anti-puffy eye serum, but I think it's discontinued

I don't know, Carole. By the looks of your eyes on your avatar, I'd have to say those creams ain't working!

Carole
03-08-2006, 05:33 AM
*sigh* I know. Not quite Bette Davis, huh?

scfirenice
03-08-2006, 05:47 AM
I'd like to add that that seaweed stuff is turning your skin kinda.....green. Sorry honey. : )

I use dramatically different on my face and karite shea butter from body shop on everything else. I didn't get a single stretch mark with kiddo numero uno.

P.H.Delarran
03-08-2006, 05:49 AM
I liked ponds too Rhymegirl, until they changed the formula..or at least I could no longer find the plain and simple one I had been using.
I now use plain ole pure aloe vera gel right out of the shower while my skin is damp..all over, including my face. Once it dries and I'm nice and tight..I use just a generic lotion, aloe with cucumber extract, on my body, and oil of olay active hydrating cream on my face. I just finished the first jar and think I may buy it again. It's real hard to find facial moisturizer's without sunscreen anymore..but my foundation has it and I don't like doubling up.

rhymegirl
03-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I'd like to add that that seaweed stuff is turning your skin kinda.....green. Sorry honey. : )

I use dramatically different on my face and karite shea butter from body shop on everything else. I didn't get a single stretch mark with kiddo numero uno.

Oh man, sc, I wish I had known about that product when I was having my kids. Baby oil is also supposed to prevent stretch marks. But unfortunately I didn't know that at the time. Damn little buggers!

rhymegirl
03-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I liked ponds too Rhymegirl, until they changed the formula..or at least I could no longer find the plain and simple one I had been using.
I now use plain ole pure aloe vera gel right out of the shower while my skin is damp..all over, including my face. Once it dries and I'm nice and tight..I use just a generic lotion, aloe with cucumber extract, on my body, and oil of olay active hydrating cream on my face. I just finished the first jar and think I may buy it again. It's real hard to find facial moisturizer's without sunscreen anymore..but my foundation has it and I don't like doubling up.

They changed the formula in Pond's? You mean the cold cream in the green and white jar? Hmm...I use that kind and the moisturizer in the blue and white jar.
Also good is Cocoa Butter with vitamin E.

threedogpeople
03-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I use Vaseline Problem Skin Therapy. It's hypo-allergenic and unscented. Like many redheads, my skin is very sensitive to just about everything. On my heals and elbows I use Lac-Hydrin Lotion, it helps dissolve rough skin.

I use Waterbabies sun screen (SPF 45). My skin reacts to it, turning red by the end of the day, but after a shower and a couple of hours it clears with no after effects.

robeiae
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Jennifer Tilly.

Celia Cyanide
03-08-2006, 10:56 PM
What a great thread! Lantern Jack saw this and was shocked I hadn't posted yet. I'm obsessed with moisturizer, and I can't really pick a favorite, but I'll list a few.

When I'm in the mood for scented, I like bath and body works. And, a couple different kinds of scented body butter. I have sugar pear and almond with shea butter. But those are more for aroma therapy, rather than skin conditioning.

I love Dove anything. The bar, and the body wash always make my skin feel so soft. I like their spf 15 moisturizer. Olay also has an spf 15 for the face. That's the main reason I don't use baby oil. My skin is so sensitive to sunlight, and baby oil reflects it. People who tan will tan darker with it, but people like me, who burn, will burn brighter. But sunscreen usually clogs pores, so olay or Dove spf 15 moisturizer is perfect.

I also love Eucerin for dry skin. I live in snowy Minnesota, and during the cold months, I really need it. I got a big, big tube of Eucerin calming creme after my tattoo, and I still use it.

What else? I love St Ives. I got a small tube of their lotion in a free sample offer. It came with 2 small tubes of their apricot scrub. I'm always on the lookout for free moisturizer samples, because I love to try new kinds!

PattiTheWicked
03-09-2006, 02:42 AM
I think there's something seriously wrong with me. It was bad enough when y'all discussed what was in your makeup bags, and not only did I not have one, but all I owned in the way of cosmetics was a three-year-old tube of Chapstick....

NOW you're telling me I'm supposed to moisturize? I've got really great skin -- if I put goop on it, will it be even better?

Next you'll ask me what color my nail polish is.

:::shudder:::

Annabella
03-09-2006, 03:07 AM
What else? I love St Ives. I got a small tube of their lotion in a free sample offer. It came with 2 small tubes of their apricot scrub. I'm always on the lookout for free moisturizer samples, because I love to try new kinds!

I love the apricot scrub. My skin has never looked better!

P.H.Delarran
03-09-2006, 03:20 AM
They changed the formula in Pond's? You mean the cold cream in the green and white jar? Hmm...I use that kind and the moisturizer in the blue and white jar.

I used a moisturizer in a white jar with black lid..(i think anyway, hmmm..maybe it was a blue lid) it was pretty simple, light-weight and had no sunscreen, no alpha-hydroxy or anything, and now I can't find it. i think maybe it was called Daycream? It's been over a year, I skim for it when I'm on that aisle but pretty much gave up.

P.H.Delarran
03-09-2006, 03:26 AM
NOW you're telling me I'm supposed to moisturize? I've got really great skin -- if I put goop on it, will it be even better?

Not better necessarily, but you can maintain that greatness for much longer and keep aging at a minimum with just a little moisturizer. In addition to moisturizing properties (and sunscreen as well if you use one), just the act of rubbing the lotion into the skin (ok no silence of the lambs jokes LOL) improves circulation, whcih is also beneficial for healthy skin.

rhymegirl
03-09-2006, 04:45 AM

Next you'll ask me what color my nail polish is.

:::shudder:::

Well, Patti, it depends on how old you are. For some of us older gals, we need all the help we can get. Maybe you don't need moisturizer at this point.

BTW, what color is your nail polish?

Serenity
03-09-2006, 04:59 AM
I like Bath and Body Works intensive healing lotion. I work in Child Care and have to wash my hands after *everything*. If I didn't have a good lotion, I'd shed my skin more often than a snake.

PattiTheWicked
03-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Well, Patti, it depends on how old you are. For some of us older gals, we need all the help we can get. Maybe you don't need moisturizer at this point.

I don't know, I'm 37 but I have good genes. My mom is 70 and looks twenty years younger. Her skin is amazing. We both drink a ton of water, which probably helps.

My beauty regimen is pretty basic -- lather, rinse, repeat.

:::bangs head on desk:::

September skies
03-09-2006, 06:03 AM

If we strangle her a little, it will be a nice blue shade

(I'm not saying we should, I just said "if")

rhymegirl
03-09-2006, 06:25 AM
I don't know, I'm 37 but I have good genes. My mom is 70 and looks twenty years younger. Her skin is amazing. We both drink a ton of water, which probably helps.

My beauty regimen is pretty basic -- lather, rinse, repeat.

Drinking a ton of water is very helpful for great skin!

I can't use soap on my face because it's too drying and irritating. I have ultra-sensitive skin so I have to use something moisturizing like cold cream.

Carole
03-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Patti, we do hate you - I hope you know this :D

Not really

I have had the WORST skin all my life. It doesn't really look it (no one believes me), but to me...well, I look in the mirror, right? Mine is ULTRA sensitive, so anything out of the ordinary just sends in all the wrong directions. Dry and breaking out all at the same time. (The Proactiv I was using ran out, but I think I am going to order more. It did wonders for my skin. It never looked better) My legs and arms are so dry that sometimes it feels like my bones are itching! My face is oily, which is actually a blessing after all. Mom told me it would be one day.

I'm also 37...and I smoke. But I regularly get mistaken for 10 years younger. I imagine if I didn't smoke, my skin wouldn't even have the teeny little *first signs of aging* around my eyes. I got good genes, so I can't lay claim to any of it. Mom and dad don't look anywhere near their real ages either.

And RG, you KNOW you are the envy of everyone here. You look absolutely amazing!

One thing I do is religiously avoid the sun when possible and religiously use sunscreen every day, even in the winter.

rhymegirl
03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Well, I am totally blushing now. Thank you, Carole. That's very nice of you. I don't think Patti knows how old I am. And I'm not gonna tell!

Celia Cyanide
03-09-2006, 07:08 AM
I think there's something seriously wrong with me. It was bad enough when y'all discussed what was in your makeup bags, and not only did I not have one, but all I owned in the way of cosmetics was a three-year-old tube of Chapstick....

well, maybe not better, but it will be more fun! I love putting lotion on, and I don't care if it helps me that much. And when you use it regularly, when you touch your face, you go, "oooh!" cuz it's so soft. It doesn't need to be that soft, but it's never a bad thing, either. And if you use it on your feet, you won't have callouses.

I wear a light foundation with spf 15, and my idea of getting made up is a thin trace of liquid eyeliner, so I can get with you on that. I think I just wore way too much of it when I was a goth, and now I'm over makeup. But moisturizer is something I couldn't live without! It gives your skin elasticity, which keeps it young. I use Olay firming cream, too. I am pretty young, but I don't want to wait to find out if I need it! :)

Carole
03-09-2006, 07:47 AM
When I worked for Shiseido, I really learned a lot about skin. A lot of people think that "moisturizer" means oil. That's not true. The moisture your skin loses is water. The oils simply help your skin hold the water in. (now, this is totally gross, but it was a test we performed. Take two slivers of thickened skin like from around a cuticle. Place one in a dish of oil and another in a dish of water. The oil will have almost no effect but the water will make the skin supple again.)

Patti, if you are drinking you 8+ glasses a day , it's entirely possible that you really do have zero need for a cream or lotion to help your skin do its job. If your skin is functioning properly, there will be enough of a lipid film on it naturally for you to just glow perfectly without anything from a bottle or jar :) Skin is designed to care for itself if you only keep it clean, but you have to take care of yourself first. I envy those with skin like yours. If I ate properly and drank enough water, (and didn't smoke) I imagine I'd see a vastly different face in the mirror.

But I do agree that smelly-good creams are fun! I have way too many bottles and jars taking up shelf space!

September skies
03-09-2006, 07:56 AM
water is so good - does wonders for the skin - you're very fortunate, but you must take care of it. I don't think a moisturizer would hurt. With the sun rays and all - it can only help. My mother in law was so beautiful. She died at 82 but didn't look a day over 60. She applied that moisturizer faithfully daily. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif <sigh> I miss her so much.

As for me -- I had great skin in high school. While all my friends were going crazy over their breakouts, I had the smoothest, most beautiful skin. That all changed a few years ago. It's crazy! I'm 46 years old, I shouldn't be breaking out like a teenager! Though, on the bright side, not one gray hair whatsoever! Can't say that for my classmates - more than half are totally gray! Some even bald!

DamaNegra
03-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Heheh right now I'm the envy of my classmates because I have skin as smooth as a baby's. I don't apply any moisturizer at all, nor do anything special to it.

writerterri
03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Baby drool, from a toothless smile.

rhymegirl
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
As for me -- I had great skin in high school. While all my friends were going crazy over their breakouts, I had the smoothest, most beautiful skin. That all changed a few years ago. It's crazy! I'm 46 years old, I shouldn't be breaking out like a teenager! Though, on the bright side, not one gray hair whatsoever! Can't say that for my classmates - more than half are totally gray! Some even bald!

Let me tell you what a doctor once told me, ss. When I took my son to a dermatologist because of his acne and we were talking about how some teens have perfect skin, he said, "They might have perfect skin now, but down the road they will end up with some skin troubles." It's like you're either gonna get pimples when you're young or when you're older.

I had skin problems in high school but it cleared up when I went to college. It was like becoming a whole new person.