• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

wanted: critique partner for contemporary women fiction with romance & 'philosophical' aspirations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
wanted: critique partner for contemporary women fiction with romance & 'philosophical' aspirations.

Hello everyone reading this, thank you for doing so in the first place.

I am looking for someone who is also writing contemporary fiction aimed at women and may have the same stylistic issues as mine, or even better, the opposite, so that we may work together at making our writing the best it can be. I guess that would mean exchanging scenes/ chapters and beta reading for each other, commenting on what works and what doesn't, or particularly focusing on a weakness and working towards solutions as a creative team.

My work is a 450 page novel that has been beta read by five people who have really liked it and related strongly with the characters and plot lines. So these are not my issues.

My problems were highlighted when two beta readers from this site couldn't go past the first pages. I think that a lot of it was due to the fact that they are both readers of fantasy and because my style, I now realise, can come across as amateurish.

Following feedback from a posting here and from studying 'Self-Editing for the Fiction Writer', my main needs are:
- eradicating filter words.
- better and more useful dialogue tags.
- injecting discreet description (there might be a fair bit of talking heads in there, as my work is very weighed in favour of dialogues)
- eradicating head hopping, which I am currently really working hard on.

It might be worth mentioning that I live in the UK, so write in UK English, which is my second language (I am French). I have studied to become a primary school teacher in the UK, and my work has been beta read by both English and American ladies.

I hope someone will have read this and think 'Yep, that's exactly what I am looking for!'

Message me!

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
139 views and no takers... Makes me wonder what is putting people off?

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much Cathy,

I am feeling humble and a little daunted, but I shall overcome that!

The first chapter is the one that needed the most work. I shall consecrate my Wednesday off to it and finalise the latest edits that I have worked on it. Then, I'll send it to you by Wednesday eve latest (UK time).

Do not hold punches, I can take them, though I love nice comments too.

Lise

Status
Not open for further replies.