PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Israeli term of endearment for a girl

afarnam
02-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyone out there with experience in modern or 1990s Israel? I'm looking for a term of endearment that a man who was brought up in Israel uses out of nostalgia as a term of endearment to a girl he meets and MIGHT be falling in love with although this isn't clear at the outset. The thing is that he is speaking English but uses the foreign language term within English, as many people do, but usually this happens to somewhat shorter terms. So, I ran across the term "Yakirati" but it is a bit long and I haven't been able to confirm in research if it is actually used. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

WeaselFire
02-26-2014, 02:21 AM
Babushka. Technically Yiddish and Eastern European, but Israelis who have been in families with European history use it. Neshama is probably more used between couples as a general term of endearment, sort of like "honey", "Sweet Pea", etc. as would be Yakiri. Chamudi or Bubile are common too.

Google will find a ton of these for you as well, or any English-Hebrew dictionary or translator.

Jeff

breaking_burgundy
02-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Anyone out there with experience in modern or 1990s Israel? I'm looking for a term of endearment that a man who was brought up in Israel uses out of nostalgia as a term of endearment to a girl he meets and MIGHT be falling in love with although this isn't clear at the outset. The thing is that he is speaking English but uses the foreign language term within English, as many people do, but usually this happens to somewhat shorter terms. So, I ran across the term "Yakirati" but it is a bit long and I haven't been able to confirm in research if it is actually used. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

"Yakirati" is way too intimate for someone he only just met. (It translates to "my precious.")

What about "metuka"? It basically means "sweetheart."

I wish I could be more help, but I never actually lived in Israel (learned Hebrew from parents), and my relatives rarely use terms of endearment towards anyone other than children and pets.

afarnam
02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
WeaselFire, Yakiri is for men, right? That was the term I originally latched onto. Works great in English. Any exceptions allowed??

Clarification: He didn't just meet her. He has known her for a few months in a pretty intense context but isn't consciously falling in love yet. That's why I'm looking for a term that could be used both ways.

Linguistically I observe that people carry over short terms of endearment into other languages (such as this guy is doing bringing the term in to English conversation) but not those with a lot of syllables. That is the other reason I'm not thrilled with Yakirati.

Thanks. Anyone else?

GradyHendrix
02-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Would you be willing to use Yiddish terms? One of my faves is "shayna maidel" but there's a big list here:

http://www.oychicago.com/blog.aspx?id=8562&blogid=142

afarnam
02-27-2014, 09:56 AM
After some other research I'm leaning toward the term "neshama". My character isn't awfully religious, so I wonder if that is an issue but he heard this as a child again and brings it back nostalgically more than anything, so I think I can get away with it. Anyone know if "neshama" is only used betwen lovers or also to children?