To Earn The Title of Comedian

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope that my writing goes on to be at least partially well known. And since comedy requires writing, I believe this is the appropriate forum for this thread.

As Daniel Sloss once said, comedians are no different from actors. We just write, rehearse and perform our own scripts to an audience in order to gain their ever shortening attention span.

The reactions of my audience, whether it's at an open mic, or it's my customers in line at Target, or it's people that were unfortunate enough to be stuck in the same confined space with me, is a reflection on my ability to craft and deliver a joke, or a series of jokes.

My goal is to one day go from the two to five minute sets one can expect in an open mic to a full half hour. If I get paid for the gig, great. But really my biggest goal is to be recognized for doing something that I love to do.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck courting your comic muse and the audiences who'll appreciate your work!

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Every comedian has a Shtick. What is yours?

I don't know. Lately I think I just do what a lot of comics do and tell people stories about my life. I've been focusing on shortening a lot of jokes so I can get to the punch lines quicker. If I open with one or two one liners, I can get away with jokes that require more set up.

When I'm ringing customers up at Target, sometimes I'll make a quip or two about purchases. Always professionally and tactfully, of course. It's like a nonstop improvisational exercise for me.

One example is whenever a customer is buying The Hunger Games, either the book or the movie, I'll say something like: "I love that book. I always like reading about kids who had a better high school experience than me."

Some customers get it, others stare blankly or think I'm being serious. For the most part, customers appreciate having a cashier who is friendly and chatty. Although I'll get one or two who look down their noses at me.

Yes. People who shop in a discount retail chain look down their noses. Think about that one for a second.

I always feel like if I could have a camera focused on me when I'm running a register, I could have a really successful Youtube series that features me chatting with customers and getting them to laugh.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I just became a volunteer for the Salem Film Festival. It will mostly be a great chance to participate in one of the landmark events that take place in what was once the richest city in America. (Little known fact about Salem. One of the first millionaires in the United States made his fortune here)

The networking opportunities here can not be understated. But my biggest and best chance for success beyond that that week is to keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.