PDA

View Full Version : Need a co-writer

blipsycat
02-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Hi, I need a co-writer for a realistic drama novel about a woman in prison. PLEASE help me.

Chase
02-25-2014, 02:32 AM
:welcome:, Blipsy.

This thread's for introduction, so hang on to your back pockets, 'cause a friendly moderator will whisk you to Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies or some such place where there are folks you want.

Be sure to come back here and tell us a little about yourself. :D

regdog
02-25-2014, 03:02 AM
I'll port this to the appropriate forum. blipsycat, you may want to become a part of the community before you ask someone to write with you.

caose
02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
Mods, and everyone, be warned:
this person Blipsycat has been repeatedly posting the same thread asking for co-writer over and over in Critique Circle. Even the CC mods have taken to lock all her threads because she practically never contributes to the site aside from asking for co-writers.

blipsycat
02-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Will somebody please help me?

Arcadia Divine
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Will somebody please help me?

I don't like being this kind of person here, but if you want us to help you with something like this then you need to give us a reason for us to help. Based off of the information you gave, I really doubt you will find anybody to help you out with this book.

Also, don't ask anybody what information to provide because that won't win anyone over either. This is where you show us just how serious and committed you really are to this story.

Fruitbat
02-28-2014, 10:40 AM
Honestly, blipsycat, getting the wrong co-writer can be SO much worse than not getting one at all. I would not go about it this way because if someone responds, you won't know anything about their writing style and ability. Nor if they are likely to do what they say they're going to do, play fair, or if anyone can even get along with them.

Once you go down that road with them a ways, it's not so easy to just break it off if it doesn't work out. They may take the work that's done and finish it their own way, cutting you out. Or they may say you have no right to finish it yourself when part of that work is theirs. I wouldn't want any part of all those problems, which of course are most likely when you don't know who you're dealing with. Co-writing is a complicated and involved relationship. Imo, you don't want to get someone by "cold calling."

If it was me, I'd join an online group like this one, or in-person group. Get and give critiques. Talk to people and take the time to get to know who's who. Then you'll be in a better position to decide who to ask and who to pass on. Good luck.

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 02:40 AM
Honestly, blipsycat, getting the wrong co-writer can be SO much worse than not getting one at all. I would not go about it this way because if someone responds, you won't know anything about their writing style and ability. Nor if they are likely to do what they say they're going to do, play fair, or if anyone can even get along with them.

Once you go down that road with them a ways, it's not so easy to just break it off if it doesn't work out. They may take the work that's done and finish it their own way, cutting you out. Or they may say you have no right to finish it yourself when part of that work is theirs. I wouldn't want any part of all those problems, which of course are most likely when you don't know who you're dealing with. Co-writing is a complicated and involved relationship. Imo, you don't want to get someone by "cold calling."

If it was me, I'd join an online group like this one, or in-person group. Get and give critiques. Talk to people and take the time to get to know who's who. Then you'll be in a better position to decide who to ask and who to pass on. Good luck.

I'm not worried about any of that. I've had probably over 500 people claim to be my co-writer at some point, and I've never had ANY of them try to steal my story or anything like that. The biggest problem I've had, by far, is them just straight-up abandoning me, not wanting to spend MORE time on the story. :(

Arcadia Divine
03-01-2014, 02:48 AM
I'm not worried about any of that. I've had probably over 500 people claim to be my co-writer at some point, and I've never had ANY of them try to steal my story or anything like that. The biggest problem I've had, by far, is them just straight-up abandoning me, not wanting to spend MORE time on the story. :(

This one is tough for me to respond to because while that's actually a legitimate concern, we're only getting one side of the story. People have lives of there own outside of writing. In the end, we have to pay the bills somehow and sometimes people have to prioritize things. It sucks because non-paid work ends up suffering and it sucks even more if you're the one that suffers. In the end, keep your chin up and don't let things like that ruin you.

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 02:50 AM
This one is tough for me to respond to because while that's actually a legitimate concern, we're only getting one side of the story. People have lives of there own outside of writing. In the end, we have to pay the bills somehow and sometimes people have to prioritize things. It sucks because non-paid work ends up suffering and it sucks even more if you're the one that suffers. In the end, keep your chin up and don't let things like that ruin you.

Too late, I'm already ruined. I have severe depression, and the fact that nobody will ever help me write this story is a big reason why.

Gravity
03-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Why do you feel you need a co-writer?

Maryn
03-01-2014, 03:02 AM
Please, don't blame your illness on the unwillingness of people to invest huge amounts of their time and effort into your project rather than working on their own.

Depression is a huge challenge, and many writers here at AW fight it every day. I'm sorry you're among them. I'm also certain getting a co-writer won't fix it.

I hope you'll seek the professional help that actually makes a difference.

Maryn, speaking as a private citizen, not a mod, since this is not her board

cornflake
03-01-2014, 03:02 AM
Too late, I'm already ruined. I have severe depression, and the fact that nobody will ever help me write this story is a big reason why.

If you've had 500 people involved, and what sounds like a lot of time devoted to a story you're clearly passionate about, is there a reason you don't just put that time and passion into writing it yourself instead of spending the energy looking for someone else?

Arcadia Divine
03-01-2014, 03:09 AM

I have schizoaffective disorder so I know how you feel sometimes. Don't let your disabilities run your life. You will only rip yourself apart and go backwards.

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 03:50 AM
If you've had 500 people involved, and what sounds like a lot of time devoted to a story you're clearly passionate about, is there a reason you don't just put that time and passion into writing it yourself instead of spending the energy looking for someone else?

Because one aspect of my depression is that I despise everything I write. I tried to write something on my own a few months ago, and it made me very depressed. All I had to focus on was my own writing, which I hated, so there was nothing to think about besides what a worthless failure I am. When I have a co-writer, I can focus on what they're doing instead, so I'll be less depressed. Plus the story will automatically be better the less input I have in it.

Gravity
03-01-2014, 03:59 AM
This may sound harsh, Blipsy, but if you despise what you write, then why write at all? Why not try something you might enjoy better?

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 04:08 AM
This may sound harsh, Blipsy, but if you despise what you write, then why write at all? Why not try something you might enjoy better?

Because I'm very passionate about this story and want it to be written. I just want it to be written WELL.

Gravity
03-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Plus the story will automatically be better the less input I have in it.

Based on the above, I guess I'm still not understanding what you're saying.

Let's say you're a painter, and you ask another painter to help you with a canvas. If over the course of six weeks they do ninety-nine per cent of the painting of the scene, and at the end your input is painting a cloud in the corner, will you feel satisfied this is your painting?

Do you get the analogy, or have I messed it up?

SadieStoltzfus
03-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Because one aspect of my depression is that I despise everything I write. I tried to write something on my own a few months ago, and it made me very depressed. All I had to focus on was my own writing, which I hated, so there was nothing to think about besides what a worthless failure I am. When I have a co-writer, I can focus on what they're doing instead, so I'll be less depressed. Plus the story will automatically be better the less input I have in it.
It seems to me that you need to find a solution to your depression. While often muses speak to us during times of turmoil, I've found that I can only produce quality material when I am calm and collected without distractions. If you've been struggling like this through 500 people, there is something more serious than merely busy people. Can you look inside yourself to determine what is driving you like this?

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Based on the above, I guess I'm still not understanding what you're saying.

Let's say you're a painter, and you ask another painter to help you with a canvas. If over the course of six weeks they do ninety-nine per cent of the painting of the scene, and at the end your input is painting a cloud in the corner, will you feel satisfied this is your painting?

Do you get the analogy, or have I messed it up?

I get what you're saying. But in my case, if I was the painter, I'd have a very specific vision for my painting. But I lack the skills necessary to bring that vision to life. If I try to do it myself, it will just look like complete crap. So I look for somebody else to do most of the painting, and that person has actual skills to make it look good. So I don't care if it's "mine" or not, I'm just glad that it looks good.

cbenoi1
03-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Because I'm very passionate about this story and want it to be written. I just want it to be written WELL.
What you are looking for is a ghostwriter, someone who will write your book for a fee.

-cb

Kylabelle
03-01-2014, 04:38 AM
ETA: Cross posted. :D

So basically what you're looking for is a ghostwriter, not a co-writer. Ghostwriters can be hired. Good ones are expensive though. I honestly don't see -- and I truly mean no offense by this -- why a writer would do this for you, without pay. Most writers have their own inspiration and their own projects. There has to be some compensation for taking this on. IMO. Perhaps those who've left your project simply felt the compensation was not adequate to the task. It does sound that you would be a fairly exacting taskmaster. For that, you'll probably have to pay.

I am sorry you have such emotional turmoil around this project. It does sound to me also like maybe you'd be better off letting it go, if you can. Not all important, great, true stories get written and shared. That's just a sad fact. Without resources, we often can't make things happen no matter how important we feel those things are.

I hope you find some way to come to terms with this situation that gives you some peace.

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 04:46 AM
ETA: Cross posted. :D

So basically what you're looking for is a ghostwriter, not a co-writer. Ghostwriters can be hired. Good ones are expensive though. I honestly don't see -- and I truly mean no offense by this -- why a writer would do this for you, without pay. Most writers have their own inspiration and their own projects. There has to be some compensation for taking this on. IMO. Perhaps those who've left your project simply felt the compensation was not adequate to the task. It does sound that you would be a fairly exacting taskmaster. For that, you'll probably have to pay.

I am sorry you have such emotional turmoil around this project. It does sound to me also like maybe you'd be better off letting it go, if you can. Not all important, great, true stories get written and shared. That's just a sad fact. Without resources, we often can't make things happen no matter how important we feel those things are.

I hope you find some way to come to terms with this situation that gives you some peace.

Then I have nothing to live for. My entire life revolves around this story.

Unimportant
03-01-2014, 04:56 AM
I have severe depression, and the fact that nobody will ever help me write this story is a big reason why.

I'm sorry, but. No. Just, no.

If you have severe depression, it is due to a physiological imbalance in your body. It is likely, though not guaranteed, to be treatable with anti-depressant medication and/or therapy.

Blaming other writers is like saying that you have severe acne, and the reason is because total strangers have not sent you plane tickets to Hawaii and Florida and Bora-Bora, and you want to travel, so you have zits because you're stuck at home and it's all the fault of people who don't give you the money to allow you to travel.

No one is born a brilliant writer. Most writers go through periods of hating every word they write. Some writers spend their entire careers in that stage. Some writers give up writing altogether because they know it takes years or decades to learn to write well enough to be "good" and they don't want to put the hard yards in.

If you want to learn to write well, you have to write. As they say, write your million words of crap, and after that you'll probably be writing decent quality prose. If you don't want to learn to write well, then don't. There's no onus on you or anyone to do so. If you have a story you want to write, write it. If you want someone else to write it for you, hire a ghostwriter. Be aware that it takes hundreds, often thousands, of hours of work to write and edit a full-length novel, and a ghostwriter will run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If you want someone to donate thousands of hours of their time to you, be prepared to give in return something that is of equal value to that person -- whatever it may be.

Editing to add: Please be aware that your depression will not be cured when this story is written. Depression doesn't work that way. Likewise, having a hundred thousand words written on a computer somewhere about your story isn't magically going to make you happy, or rich, or free, or beautiful, or anything else. Even if it were to get published -- which is by no means a given, considering the ratio of manuscripts submitted:manuscripts published -- there's no guarantee that it would have any effect on your happiness. Please look into medical help for your condition.

blipsycat
03-01-2014, 04:58 AM
I'm sorry, but. No. Just, no.

If you have severe depression, it is due to a physiological imbalance in your body. It is likely, though not guaranteed, to be treatable with anti-depressant medication and/or therapy.

Blaming other writers is like saying that you have severe acne, and the reason is because total strangers have not sent you plane tickets to Hawaii and Florida and Bora-Bora, and you want to travel, so you have zits because you're stuck at home and it's all the fault of people who don't give you the money to allow you to travel.

No one is born a brilliant writer. Most writers go through periods of hating every word they write. Some writers spend their entire careers in that stage. Some writers give up writing altogether because they know it takes years or decades to learn to write well enough to be "good" and they don't want to put the hard yards in.

If you want to learn to write well, you have to write. As they say, write your million words of crap, and after that you'll probably be writing decent quality prose. If you don't want to learn to write well, then don't. There's no onus on you or anyone to do so. If you have a story you want to write, write it. If you want someone else to write it for you, hire a ghostwriter. Be aware that it takes hundreds, often thousands, of hours of work to write and edit a full-length novel, and a ghostwriter will run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If you want someone to donate thousands of hours of their time to you, be prepared to give in return something that is of equal value to that person -- whatever it may be.

I still have nothing to live for.

Marian Perera
03-01-2014, 05:01 AM
I still have nothing to live for.

That's not a problem this board can help you with, and it's not fair of you to lay it on other people.

AW Admin
03-01-2014, 05:30 AM
Then I have nothing to live for. My entire life revolves around this story.

In that case I suggest you need to consult a therapist. We can't help you with that.

I'm about to sound rather harsh, and I'll apologize in advance for that -- but I'm going to give you the only advice anyone on a message board has any business giving ANYONE expressing suicidal ideation:

Get help. In the U.S., you can call 1-800-273-8255 or find a local crisis hotline in your own area.

This is an internet message board. It is not an appropriate place to turn when you're suicidal or fixated on self-harm/cutting/purging. We cannot help you with something this serious and grave, and it's terribly unfair to try to make the people here responsible in any way for your well-being and mental health.