PDA

View Full Version : To nudge or not to nudge?

HoldinHolden
02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm going bananas over here. I have no idea what to do!

I started querying my MS back in September (non-fic parenting humor). I got some great responses, and there are currently 5 agents with my proposal. I haven't heard from some of them since.

2 agents received my proposal in early September, one in October, 1 requested a revision, which I completed and sent late November, and another just received the revised proposal 2/3.

I know that with works of fiction, the general wait before considering nudging is 6 months, but I'm not sure of the protocol for non-fiction proposals. I'm trying to be patient and keeping myself busy with other projects, but I'm going nuts! I guess it makes it worse than many were VERY quick to respond at first (including the agent who asked for the revision).

Of course I've looked up how/when to nudge, but the responses are all over the nap on when and whether or not you should even do it.

Do I just need to simmer? Or should I nudge?

Old Hack
02-24-2014, 09:53 PM
I'd probably nudge them.

Have you continued to submit the book? If not, then you might like to start sending it out again.

Debbie V
02-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Do any of them list response times on their websites? I usually allow some time after those and then nudge. Does query tracker list times for them? That may give you an idea of where you stand.

Keep in mind that no news is not bad news even if it isn't really good news.

HoldinHolden
02-25-2014, 12:28 AM
No concrete response times on the ones with revisions. I will have to check on the others. There was one agent who said they would respond within 6 weeks, and it's well past that. I read on QT someone else has been waiting past the 6 weeks as well.

I only stopped resubmitting because I revised the entire book and had to revise the proposal as well. I JUST completed that (time consuming and exhausting, but I'm proud of the result) earlier this month. I have been considering revising my query to match the revised MS and beginning submissions again. Just hard to feel like you're essentially starting over!

Debbie V
03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Double the six weeks and then nudge. For the others, verify that they respond to requested material before you nudge. For response times, you can check in Bewares on AW along with the two places I mentioned before.

Start sending out the new proposals too. Starting fresh can be a good thing. The more you have out, the more hope there is for getting good news back.