• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta for Rock & Roll Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
My 120,000-word novel 'The Upsetter Blog' is 20,000 words too long. If there's a ruthless beta out there who'd like to point out the flab on it, I'm game.

The novel follows a has-been writer who gets roped into blogging the tour of an up-and-coming rock band. He becomes fascinated with the band's lead singer, while also growing attracted to the kid's girlfriend. Meanwhile, he has to contend with the death of his father and the life of his disabled son back home.

Check out some of my work, either in the link below or on the SYW board. I'm a competent writer, and I've already edited this thing to death, so there shouldn't be too much little stuff. I just need to know where I'm drifting off-topic. Any help is appreciated!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little busy to take it on, but I just wanted to say that's an intriguing premise.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Have you read The Ten Per Cent Solution by Ken Rand? It's a great little book that has a lot of ideas about how to pare down your work to its best level.

PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can give you an example if you send me a few pages.

RAL

Registered
Reaction score
Two very heavy issues he's dealing with there. My first thought would be if you need to eliminate 1/6th of the novel it may be worth eliminating discussing one of them.

not sure how dedicated i'll be able to be but i'll try to give it a go. i'll send you a PM with my email.

Status
Not open for further replies.