PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy

J.S.F.
02-23-2014, 11:55 AM
I just saw the trailer for it, and to me it's either going to be the funniest thing around or the worst piece of drek. An angry racoon, a homicidal tree, a green-skinned alien girl--gee, I wonder where Marvel stole that idea from--a pro wrestler who looks like a pro wrestler (i.e. freak and I mean that in a good way) and a sorta dorky guy whose nom de guerre simply doesn't work...mainly because no one takes him seriously.

I'm in for this.

Thuro
02-23-2014, 12:04 PM
You know I was actually thinking about making this thread yesterday.

I don't know. Its sales are probably going to bomb because Starlord is a pretty popular comic and it doesn't stay faithful to it. And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

J.S.F.
02-23-2014, 12:16 PM
See, this is what happens when a person stays away from the comic book world for, say, forty years.

Seriously, I think the last time I ever read a comic book was when I was twelve. (I'm fifty-two now--ya, really!) I'm not hip as to who's hot or offbeat or whatever. I grew up with the DC Big Three (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman--in Justice League, I mean) and all the other big names (Green Arrow, Flash, et.al.) and the main Marvel Guys, but know less than zero about the recent comics i.e. Starlord.

If this is supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek production for the unititiated, then the producers and director might just get away with it. The comic book faithful will carp, though, if it deviates from the material. (I'll take your word for it)

Zoombie
02-23-2014, 12:34 PM
It reminds me of Farscape.

This pleases mighty Caesar.

Thuro
02-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Ha guess what I was watching an two hours ago.

You're right though. Cool. Now if only they'll slip Ben Browder in.

Zoombie
02-23-2014, 12:49 PM
And Claudia Blacke!

And, hey, just put the entire cast there.

RichardGarfinkle
02-24-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't like this version of Drax (one of my favorite characters from many years ago). But they do have Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Dr. Who) as Nebula (an extremely tough space pirate).
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2014/02/watch-karen-gillan-guardians-galaxy-trailers/

Opty
02-24-2014, 05:27 AM
And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

Yeah, he actually kind of is. Drax is a pretty big, muscular dude in the comics. Ya gotta be big to thrown down with Thanos. He's been drawn as a rather hulking character for at least the past decade. Granted, I could never really get into GotG (I'm more of a DC fan) so I haven't thumbed through any of them in a while. They might've changed him recently, but I don't think they have.

CrastersBabies
02-24-2014, 07:51 AM
I know nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy and it looks awesome to me. :)

MttStrn
02-24-2014, 08:36 AM
And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

I believe you might be thinking of Terrax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrax)

They pretty much have Drax perfect.

Maggie Maxwell
02-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't think I could have put it better than Chuck Wendig, who tweeted: "Seriously, that GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY trailer looks like FIREFLY had a baby with GALAXY QUEST. Which, you know: awesome."

I can't wait for August now. :D I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about GotG beyond Rocket, but they certainly made it look like lots of fun and is spectacularly cast.

Cyia
02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
I love the Tweet that's been circling for the last week or so:

DC: Superheroes in space is serious business. Frowny faces. Taiko drums.

Marvel: *runs by with lampshade on head*

^ That's about as perfect as you can put it. GotG looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like the kind of movie that would have never seen the light of day if not for the extra green generated by the Avengers and all its arms.

(I'm also looking forward to seeing Karen Gillan in something again.)

Myrealana
02-24-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm a fan of Marvel movies. A big fan.

But I just can't get into this. The trailer is kind of... meh.

Lissibith
02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
As someone who actually quite likes the Guardians but vastly prefers their more modern incarnations, I don't actually have much of an issue with Star Lord as he seems here (other than him not looking like I envisioned, heh). Heck, I can totally see this Peter turning into the sort of person he becomes in, say, Annihilation. I absolutely love the way Drax looks and can't wait to actually hear more of him. Actually, just in general I love the looks. <3

This has been my most anticipated movie of 2014 (Sorry, Cap) and the trailer and poster just cemented it. Not to mention all the potential galactic movie hooks. Planet Hulk? Rich Rider's Nova? Yes please!

nighttimer
02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I wasn't wowed by the trailer, but I'll tell you this for free: if Marvel can make a hit out a movie with no stars and a talking raccoon, they should go to Las Vegas with the winning streak they are on.

And I'd still go see a talking raccoon before The Amazing Spider-Man 2 because that movie looks like absolute ASS.

Maggie Maxwell
02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
No stars? There are a bunch of big or rising names here: Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel (doing voices for Rocket and Groot respectively), Zoe Saldana, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close... among others.

Cyia
02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
I wasn't wowed by the trailer, but I'll tell you this for free: if Marvel can make a hit out a movie with no stars and a talking raccoon, they should go to Las Vegas with the winning streak they are on.

This is one of those films that will either sweep the box-office or fail mightily. Its quirkiness and humor will be its biggest strength, but this movie doesn't come out until August, so I'm a little antsy that they're already hyping it up.

Tentpole movies get the year-long publicity blitzes, as there's a reasonable expectation of return on that investment. A movie where the biggest stars are "The guy from..." and "Wasn't she the one who played..." (and where the recognizable names are either minor roles or CGI) doesn't usually get that kind of push.

I'm hoping it will be awesome blowy-uppy fun time in space (Please be like Firefly. Please be like Firefly. Please be like firefly.), but we'll see.

Pterofan
02-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Vin Diesel as Groot? I'm there, dude.

nighttimer
02-27-2014, 12:45 PM
No stars? There are a bunch of big or rising names here: Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel (doing voices for Rocket and Groot respectively), Zoe Saldana, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close... among others.

You just made my point.

Cooper and Diesel are the biggest "names" here and they're only lending their voices, not their faces, to the proceedings. Saldana, Del Toro and Close can't open a movie and the "stars" of the flick are Chris Pratt and Karen Gillian

Not exactly anyone that's going to make Tom Cruise tremble, but then again, Marvel's had some success with actors named "Chris" lately.

J.S.F.
02-27-2014, 02:45 PM
FWIW, this movie will succeed or fail on the script. The special effects--which means a lot of shit blowing up and being blown up--will be good. If Batista can get in one 'bomb' then his presence in the movie will be justified. Gunn is a quirky director and has a rather rancid rep with feminists, but I think he's smart enough to respect his source material and try and be as faithful to it as possible.

As for Pratt and his costar (and I confess that I haven't heard of either of them mainly because I don't follow the TV scene in the West) they'll probably do just fine because they're surrounded by decent actors (yes, the voices are what a lot of patrons come for as much as their physical presence) and if all things click, you'll have a good, fun flick.

Some fans and critics were a little hesitant when Batman Begins cast Bale in the lead role. However, the producers were smart enough to surround him with excellent backups like Oldman, Freeman, Hauer, Neeson, and Michael Caine. How could they go wrong? They didn't. Granted, GOTG doesn't have the same kind of heavyweight backup that BB had, but if the script is there, then the laughs and action and butts in the seats will also be there.

richcapo
02-28-2014, 03:14 AM
Looks goofy and snarky to me, which is not my cup of tea; so I'll have to pass. At least until my kids beg me to put it in the Netflix queue, I will.

Cyia
05-16-2014, 08:45 PM
A new poster's been making the rounds on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/totalfilm/status/467343638671159296/photo/1

It's worth noting that - for once - "the girl" isn't resigned to an over-the-shoulder butt shot pose.

Zoombie
05-17-2014, 02:14 AM
A new poster's been making the rounds on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/totalfilm/status/467343638671159296/photo/1

It's worth noting that - for once - "the girl" isn't resigned to an over-the-shoulder butt shot pose.

Very star warsy!

Diana Hignutt
07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Bought my tickets for the first Saturday matinee (I'm cheap) 3D show! Woot! Woot!

Looks awesome!

Marvel has been on quite the roll...

mirandashell
07-29-2014, 03:19 PM
But they do have Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Dr. Who) as Nebula (an extremely tough space pirate).

Ok.... that's me not watching it ever!

ETA: And I love Farscape.

richcapo
07-29-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm in for this.
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.

J.S.F.
07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made for kids and childish adults.

---

Then you're gonna miss out on a fun flick.

Looks are deceiving, and I'm gonna bet right now GOTG runs away with not only high ratings, but the box office as well.

richcapo
07-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah, he actually kind of is. Drax is a pretty big, muscular dude in the comics. Ya gotta be big to thrown down with Thanos. He's been drawn as a rather hulking character for at least the past decade. Granted, I could never really get into GotG (I'm more of a DC fan) so I haven't thumbed through any of them in a while. They might've changed him recently, but I don't think they have.
Last I saw of Drax he was turned into a relatively slim, double knife-wielding Riddik (http://img.moviepilot.com/assets/tarantulaV2/article_images/1363347454_batisda-turns-green.jpg)type. He's not the hulk of yesterday.

richcapo
07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
---

Then you're gonna miss out on a fun flick.
I don't find that sort of stuff fun.

Looks are deceiving,
Unless the trailer is one big lie, I doubt that will turn out to be the case with this movie.

and I'm gonna bet right now GOTG runs away with not only high ratings, but the box office as well.
So mote it be.

Maggie Maxwell
07-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I had so many people interested that I've had to plan two viewings for my critique group so everyone can come to at least one, if not both! We're all hyped for it (of course, we meet at a comic book store and spend most of our post-group hangout talking about comic books, so it's only reasonable that we're all giddy.)

Lissibith
07-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Can it just be Friday already? I have my tickets and my plans and I am *so ready.*

Diana Hignutt
07-29-2014, 09:12 PM
Can it just be Friday already? I have my tickets and my plans and I am *so ready.*

It's Friday somewhere in the world...no, wait, that's five o'clock....

BenPanced
07-29-2014, 09:28 PM
If I'd ever heard of the comic, I'd forgotten about it until the fansquee over the movie.

Zoombie
07-29-2014, 09:34 PM
I was sold when it was set in space!

We don't have enough space movies.

CrastersBabies
07-30-2014, 02:53 AM
I'm not. The film looks dorky, and I can't stand dorky movies, especially dorky comic book movies because they reinforce the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.

Ummm, who says this? I mean, really. I've never heard anyone say that--especially today when geek chic is extremely IN.

It looks funny to me. Humor is a great change from darky dark dark whispery Dark Knight serious dark. I find that more mock-worthy than a Guardians of the Galaxy flick that can poke fun at itself and still bust ass.

J.S.F.
07-30-2014, 03:52 AM
Ummm, who says this? I mean, really. I've never heard anyone say that--especially today when geek chic is extremely IN.

It looks funny to me. Humor is a great change from darky dark dark whispery Dark Knight serious dark. I find that more mock-worthy than a Guardians of the Galaxy flick that can poke fun at itself and still bust ass.

---

Please remember that RC liked Man of Steel. Based on a comic book. So I guess he forgot that he must be one of the childish adults he mocks.:D

My comments before stand. (This is a general reply and not directed at you, CB) And if someone doesn't want to see the flick, they don't have to. End.

richcapo
07-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Man of Steel isn't dorky in my opinion, so your putdown is moot.

Comics don't have to be, and they aren't always, childish. Movies like Guardians, unless its trailer is one huge fib, unfortunately support the stereotype that they do and are.

richcapo
07-30-2014, 06:28 AM
Ummm, who says this?
People with a narrow minded view of comics.

J.S.F.
07-30-2014, 07:27 AM

Comics don't have to be, and they aren't always, childish. Movies like Guardians, unless its trailer is one huge fib, unfortunately support the stereotype that they do and are.

---

When you make a generalization as you did before, then any supposed putdowns are to be expected.

As for GOTG, whatever. If it does turn out to support the stereotype as you say, then you can take a measure of satisfaction in that. I think--and I haven't seen the flick yet, just going on what I have seen--that it will be a movie with its tongue firmly planted in its cheek but also having a lot of heart to it.

We shall see.
And I will see it.

richcapo
07-30-2014, 08:03 AM
I didn't make a generalization; I opposed one -- the stereotype that comics are just for kids and childish adults.

MttStrn
08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
This movie was freaking amazing. It was everything I wanted in a Guardians of The Galaxy movie. Sure, it doesn't take itself seriously at all but it had surprising depth. You can turn your nose up at it if you want but you are missing out on a truly fun movie with enough feels that I teared up a few times. Add the fact that this is a movie with Disney's name plastered all over it yet has dick and masturbation jokes it makes it easily the best movie I've seen in years.

MttStrn
08-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Oh and the post-credit scene was spot on for the spirit of the movie.

Rags99
08-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I watched it last night and went in expecting nothing and was surprised how much fun it is.

I didnt know it was supposed to be a comedy but it had some very funny moments, especially some of the conversations between cast members. There is never a dull moment, lots of intense action balanced with humour and heart.

Chris Pratt really shines in every scene right through to the finale, where he once again steals the show.

The movie was alot of fun.

I am groot! :)

Marlys
08-01-2014, 05:12 PM
It was terrific--Star Wars with a sense of humor.

J.S.F.
08-01-2014, 07:24 PM
*Sigh* Everything comes to Japan late...guess I'll have to wait.

Cyia
08-01-2014, 11:34 PM
So, so much better than I was expecting. The story was fun, but I was more surprised at how well the characterization was done. Some necessary tweaks to streamline the back stories, but overall, it was great.

And Groot's completely inappropriate smile (if you've seen the scene, you know the one) is perhaps one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

My only criticism is that the after-credits scene is completely pointless. Very disappointed in that one.

Zoombie
08-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Fantastic, though, MAN the post-credit teaser took a left turn into horror fast. I'm legitimately scared about the future.

Cyia
08-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Fantastic, though, MAN the post-credit teaser took a left turn into horror fast. I'm legitimately scared about the future.

No kidding. I fully expected "that guy" to be revealed as one of the rejects from the experiment that created Rocket.

Zoombie
08-02-2014, 01:03 AM
So, I won't lie, the fact that this wacky cosmic space adventure funtime stuff is happening at the same time AND IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as a conspiracy thriller like Winter Soldier...tickles my brain.

Like, a lot.

CrastersBabies
08-02-2014, 06:18 AM

So, if it "looks" dorky in your opinion, then it's bad. Or, other people think it's dorky and in TURN will think YOU are bad for seeing it? Or, that you'll be classified as a "stereotypical comic book nerd" for being seen in the theater (unless you go in disguise).

So, yeah. Not computing. Either there's a great, terrible fear of being labeled a "dork" (a term that hasn't been derogatory for quite a while now), or, I don't know. Don't go see it. Problem solved. Feel free to keep commenting on dorkiness, though. And how it seems like a dorky movie. Because I don't think everyone gets that yet.

Zoombie
08-02-2014, 06:39 AM
To be fair, it is a very silly movie.

But it is also well written, well acted, well paced...well done in general!

Cyia
08-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Yep.

It's aDORKable. :D

Filigree
08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I concur. Very silly, very fun.

nighttimer
08-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Not reading too many reviews about GotG because I don't want anybody else's opinions in my head. I've been looking forward to seeing it, though I've had some people say they don't want to see it for the oddest reason.

"I don't know what it's about."

Really? We're that brainwashed by reboots, sequels, series, spin-offs, re-imaginings, relaunches, remakes, and our film choices narrowed down to four or five easily swallowed categories that something that isn't any of those things gets a shrug of the shoulders and a non-commital, "meh?"

Wow. That's sad.

What's not sad is this is the Greatest Movie Review Title of All Time: Watching Guardians of the Galaxy Is Like Getting Back Part Of Your Soul. :hooray: (http://io9.com/watching-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-like-getting-back-p-1614421231)

Thuro
08-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Still want to see it. I'm excited. Gives off a feel like a even more irreverent Firefly.

richcapo
08-02-2014, 05:21 PM
So, if it "looks" dorky in your opinion, then it's bad.
If it "is" -- which unless the trailer is one big lie ... etc. -- then it's not for me simply because, as I have said before, I don't like that sort of stuff and because it reinforces the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.

Or, other people think it's dorky and in TURN will think YOU are bad for seeing it?
No. See above. Even if I didn't think that dorky comic book films reinforce that stereotype, I wouldn't watch it -- don't like that type of fare as I have already said.

Or, that you'll be classified as a "stereotypical comic book nerd" for being seen in the theater (unless you go in disguise).
Again, see above.

So, yeah. Not computing.
I can't state my position on it any more clearly, I'm afraid.

Either there's a great, terrible fear of being labeled a "dork" (a term that hasn't been derogatory for quite a while now), or, I don't know. Don't go see it. Problem solved. Feel free to keep commenting on dorkiness, though. And how it seems like a dorky movie. Because I don't think everyone gets that yet.
So mote it be.

CrastersBabies
08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
So, one person thinks it looks "Dorky" and will make the beloved comic book fanbase look silly and immature.

Okay. Well, as a 43-year-old, I'm seeing it. And wow. Don't care what the movie sends as a message to people who apparently give a flying crap about the "immaturity and silliness" of comics.

Because they all must be serious.

All of them.

richcapo
08-02-2014, 06:31 PM
They can be as they wish to be. I simply don't like the dorky ones. If you do, that's great -- I hope you enjoy the film. It's just not for me, for the reasons I have stated.

Zoombie
08-02-2014, 08:36 PM
They can be as they wish to be. I simply don't like the dorky ones. If you do, that's great -- I hope you enjoy the film. It's just not for me, for the reasons I have stated.

The film has all the funny parts of the trailer. But they're tied together by a consistent, underlying tone and five compelling characters with complete character arcs. The movie invests you into a character who can only say three words, and manages to balance humor and dramatic tension without losing either of them - a planet is in peril AND you can laugh at the slapstick and the one liners.

This movie is as "dorky" as an Indiana Jones film or one of the original Star Wars movies, and is roughly on the same plane of quality as Galaxy Quest (which is one of the highest fucking honors I can give a movie.)

Don't dismiss it because of your "comics must be sirruz" hangups.

richcapo
08-02-2014, 08:51 PM
This movie is as "dorky" as an Indiana Jones film or one of the original Star Wars movies, and is roughly on the same plane of quality as Galaxy Quest (which is one of the highest fucking honors I can give a movie.)
Not a fan of those films.

Don't dismiss it because of your "comics must be sirruz" hangups.
Comics can be what they want to be. I prefer mine not to be goofy. Do they have to be serious? No. Can I enjoy them if they are humorous? Sure. Not all humorous things are goofy.

jvc
08-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Locking temporarily pending review and a cigarette.

jvc
08-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't see any problem with someone saying they didn't like the trailer for a movie. Trailers can be hit and miss with people. All good giving an opinion on a trailer.

As for the rest, I suppose if dorky was still an insult, we could take issue. But dorky, and nerdy, and goofy, have all come into their own. Lots of people like movies which are dorky, nerdy, goofy. Some value those traits in themselves and are proud of it. I'd like to think I'm dorky, nerdy and goofy on occasion. I think goofy is fun (not so sure about the other dwarfs, though).

Sometimes I like a movie to be serious. Sometimes I like it to be funny. Sometimes I love a movie that is downright goofy. I don't see any problem with a movie being all of the above, some of the above, or none of the above. So long as the movie is good. And, the only way of knowing, is to see the movie. We can't always base our opinion on a trailer. And we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

And to sum up:

If you didn't like the trailer, and won't see the movie based on your dislike for the trailer, and you won't be swayed by anything anyone has to say on the trailer, or swayed by anyone having seen the movie, and you've stated in the thread you didn't like the trailer, and stated your reasons why, then don't keep on beating the horse into pulp.

jvc
08-02-2014, 10:25 PM

I thought Galaxy Quest was brilliant. And I have quoted it a few times on twitter the last few weeks.

Never give up. Never surrender.

c.e.lawson
08-02-2014, 11:00 PM
We plan on seeing this tonight.

Should we view it in 3D or not?

Sage
08-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Not reading too many reviews about GotG because I don't want anybody else's opinions in my head. I've been looking forward to seeing it, though I've had some people say they don't want to see it for the oddest reason.

"I don't know what it's about."
Ha, I didn't know what it was about, and that was one of it's selling points to me. I just thought the trailer looked fun.

Although normally, I do like to know what a movie is about. I don't mean that I need a retelling or remake or series/sequel/spin-off (and isn't this based off a series and technically in the same Marvel-verse as everything else?), but I like to know something about a movie before I go into it.

Anyway, I just watched it, and I love it, and I'm pretty sure Starlord reacted to getting abducted about the same way I would...listen to the only source of music I have over and over and over.

J.S.F.
08-03-2014, 03:05 AM
...Anyway, I just watched it, and I love it, and I'm pretty sure Starlord reacted to getting abducted about the same way I would...listen to the only source of music I have over and over and over.
---

http://youtu.be/Bo-qweh7nbQ

:D

Sage
08-03-2014, 03:13 AM
No, I've pretty much been singing that one since I left the theater. Well, the barbershop version my chorus performs, but the lead part's almost the same.

CrastersBabies
08-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I get it if people don't like "dorky" movies. I don't like sitcoms that have laugh tracks. So, I don't watch them.

I could just say, "Hey! I don't like comedy w/laugh tracks. They just don't do it for me."

Or, I could say, "Well, laugh tracks make all comedy watchers seem stupid, like they're being force-fed laughs and therefore, I will not watch laugh-track comedies. Ever."

One is a bit more succinct. The other kind of, well, I don't know. :)

Rags99
08-03-2014, 05:27 AM
To be fair, it is a very silly movie.

But it is also well written, well acted, well paced...well done in general!

Yes.

Come on those scenes with Rocket Raccoon and the "leg" and the "eye"....LOL!!!

CrastersBabies
08-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Still have yet to see it! We're going Monday when the crowds are down. The hubby got Monday off, so we can see the matinee. :)

Rags99
08-03-2014, 05:35 AM
Still have yet to see it! We're going Monday when the crowds are down. The hubby got Monday off, so we can see the matinee. :)

Fantastic!

I went opening night and it was packed. Everyone seemed to come out in a good mood, a group of guys were singing "Hooked on a Feeling" at the top of their lungs.

CrastersBabies
08-03-2014, 05:45 AM
I love crowds like that, too! It brings the whole film to a new experience. :)

dolores haze
08-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Took the kids to see it today. They loved it. I thought it was just okay. Would've liked more clever/funny dialogue, less CGI explodey stuff. Not in the same class as Firefly or Galaxy Quest, IMO, though I did enjoy the characters and the 3D settings.

Filigree
08-03-2014, 06:19 AM
I treat GotG the same way I treat Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels: a healthy surface dose of satire, underlying some deeply philosophical and humanistic issues. Plus, there's the science street cred of the 'Science of Discworld' books.

Serious fun. But I'm willing to agree to disagree with other viewpoints.

Rags99
08-03-2014, 06:47 AM
I love crowds like that, too! It brings the whole film to a new experience. :)

Yes, it is the only reason I always try and see any Star Trek and Star Wars movie opening night, you get a great audience.

richcapo
08-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Or, I could say, "Well, laugh tracks make all comedy watchers seem stupid, like they're being force-fed laughs and therefore, I will not watch laugh-track comedies.
That's not what I said.

Mods, isn't he beating that horse now?

jvc
08-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Okay, let's move on.

CrastersBabies
08-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Happy to move on. Apologies to the mod for the derail.

Would love to hear from more people who have seen the movie or who plan to. I can't wait for Monday!

Also, have any of you fans seen THIS (http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/marvel-charts-new-frontier-with-guardians-of-the-galaxy-1.2722474) article?

The writer of GotG (the movie) was a women who struggled in SFF. Sad that in 2014, women are still held back in this business. But it elates me (as a woman myself) that Nicole Perlman is making big waves. Maybe we're not all rom-com writers after all!

Pterofan
08-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I wasn't in the best mood when I went in, but I was smiling and felt much better after seeing this. It lifted my spirits and made me laugh. Isn't that what entertainment is supposed to do?

For those who don't want to sit through the credits, the tag at the end features a cameo by Howard the Duck. Do I smell a reboot in the future?:D

CrastersBabies
08-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Also, THIS (http://io9.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-crushes-box-office-records-with-1615405651)! GotG is breaking records already.

I especially like the comments section:

"DC should be taking notes. We don't want dark and gritty disaster porn masquerading as a super hero movie, we want want fun."

The thing is, I think we're getting a little saturated with the super serious Batman-whispery darky dark + super effects. I mean, when a movie takes itself so seriously that there is no joy to be found, it becomes a little masochistic.

I think this is where DC could learn from Marvel. Ironman was awesome, but never took itself too seriously. Same with the Avengers. While there might be very serious stakes happening, people like Whedon (and other Marvel directors) know when it's okay to go a little more "human" and less emo.

I think DC takes itself too seriously in the films. Not only could they take notes from Marvel in the theaters, but they could take note of DC on the small screen as well. Arrow, for example, really hits all the right notes. So much so that if they included Ollie from the CW (Steve A.) in the film, that would be reason alone for me to watch it.

Sage
08-03-2014, 11:54 PM
I cannot stop thinking about this movie. Or listening to the soundtrack. If I were to write something in space, this is what I would write. Or at least what I would want to write, but I'd probably take myself too seriously in the end. But, seriously, why didn't I write this?

Cyia
08-04-2014, 02:46 AM
I especially like the comments section:

"DC should be taking notes. We don't want dark and gritty disaster porn masquerading as a super hero movie, we want want fun."

-----

I think DC takes itself too seriously in the films.

Another reason I love this tweet I quoted back at the first of the year:

DC: Superheroes in space is serious business. Frowny faces. Taiko drums.

Marvel: *runs by with lampshade on head*

Filigree
08-04-2014, 02:48 AM
I am quoting that in a review on my blog. Right now.

CrastersBabies
08-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Win X10000000 for Cyia

Cyia
08-04-2014, 03:03 AM
Just to be clear - I quoted it, but it's not my words. It was going around on Twitter shortly after GotG's trailer debuted.

CrastersBabies
08-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Yeah, but I am aware of it now, thanks to you and thus... points earned. :D

Maggie Maxwell
08-04-2014, 03:53 AM
This movie. :heart: Thoroughly satisfied, already ready to see it again.

Pretty sure the kid sitting behind me learned a few interesting words his parents might not have wanted him knowing yet. Good riddance, kid wouldn't shut his yaphole.

shelleyo
08-04-2014, 11:34 AM
I love that not only is this the first Marvel movie written by a woman, it's also breaking box-office records. A $94 million haul opening weekend. Biggest August opening ever, and third biggest of the year only behind Transformers 4 and Captain America:Winter Soldier.

And 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, last I checked. That's as high as the highest of the superheroes, the original Iron Man, the Marvel movie that kicked off the age of the Avengers.

Nicole, you go, girl!

Thuro
08-04-2014, 12:18 PM
That's great that its doing so well. I wasn't ever aware of racism in writing. Learning that this is a thing. Well I'm just not sure I believe it.

Diana Hignutt
08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I laughed! I cried! Best Film of the Year!

You must see this movie!

Filigree
08-04-2014, 03:02 PM
That's great that its doing so well. I wasn't ever aware of racism in writing. Learning that this is a thing. Well I'm just not sure I believe it.

Misogyny is, alas, a fixture in Hollywood's SFF scene. I hung out online with a couple of female writer/producers who've been at it for years (print and movie/TV). They say HBO, Showtime, and Netflix really helped open up the field.

Lissibith
08-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Well, that was a really fun movie. Glad I saw it twice. :)

Myrealana
08-04-2014, 07:40 PM
My husband saw it Friday night and TOTALLY said I was going to love it, so we took our 11-year-old son Sunday morning.

First, of all, the movie LITERALLY starts out by making my baby boy cry--real tears streaming down his cheecks. NOT LIVING UP TO THE FUN TRAILER, PEOPLE!

It did pick up from there, and I ended up having a really good time. Definately some laugh-out-loud moments, a lot of unexpected turns, plus a lot of completely expected turns. They don't play too fast and loose with the Hollywood formula, but what they've done, they do well.

And I want a download of "Awesome Mix #1"

Rags99
08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
First, of all, the movie LITERALLY starts out by making my baby boy cry--real tears streaming down his cheecks. NOT LIVING UP TO THE FUN TRAILER, PEOPLE!

And I want a download of "Awesome Mix #1"

It wasnt just him, lol! It was brilliantly offset however with the entire "rat scene" on the alien planet.

Who doesnt want "Awesome Mix #1 and #2? :)

katiemac
08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
It's definitely one of the better Marvel movies but at the end of the day it still felt like a Marvel movie to me, and the only ones I liked before this one on some level were Avengers and the first Iron Man.

I thought the setup of getting all of the characters together was sloppy, but I understand why it needed to move as quickly as it did. And the villain was just another random guy off to collect some other important sci-fi object, which also felt rushed, so I didn't really care about any of that.

In the next movie, I hope Zoe gets more to do. For being the "most feared assassin in the galaxy" who "never fails," she really was wasted. Turns out she can only take people out where it matters as long as it's another chick. That was disappointing. There's one scene in particular I'm thinking of--when Peter's life is threatened and two thugs are holding her back as if she couldn't have destroyed them single-handedly.

That also said, did anyone else noticed how very violent this movie was? Sure, there was no blood--but a lot of people died and often the heroes were the ones doing the killing. I don't remember that happening in the Marvels but I haven't seen a lot of the most recent ones, either.

That all said--I did appreciate the characters here, and I think the sequel could be a much, much better movie with some of these established details and a better plot, which I assume will converge with Avengers 3.

CrastersBabies
08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I read somewhere that the Avengers and GotG will never officially converge, that the Collector from the end of one of the films (post-credits scene) was a last minute, rather rash decision. But not sure. One never knows!

katiemac
08-04-2014, 08:43 PM
I read somewhere that the Avengers and GotG will never officially converge, that the Collector from the end of one of the films (post-credits scene) was a last minute, rather rash decision. But not sure. One never knows!

I didn't even know the Collector was in a previous movie. I just assumed convergence because of Thanos.

CrastersBabies
08-04-2014, 08:51 PM
I just came here to say that I might be super wrong!

Article: What Comes First, Captain Marvel, or an Avengers/Guardians Crossover? (http://io9.com/what-comes-first-captain-marvel-or-an-avengers-guardi-1615615548) (Beware link - it might contain spoilers for other shows, so scroll quickly)

So, I'm not so sure now. You might be onto something.

Rags99
08-04-2014, 09:11 PM
I didn't even know the Collector was in a previous movie. I just assumed convergence because of Thanos.

Didn't Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons play the Collector in one of the halloween episodes? He had Xena in a one of those plastic comic book bags.

katiemac
08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I just came here to say that I might be super wrong!

Article: What Comes First, Captain Marvel, or an Avengers/Guardians Crossover? (Beware link - it might contain spoilers for other shows, so scroll quickly)

So, I'm not so sure now. You might be onto something.

This is one of the reasons I think Guardians needed a better plot. Obviously I know nothing, it just seemed natural that where all franchises are headed is toward a big mash-up in one of the later Avengers movies with Thanos as the Big Bad. And as my comic book friends tell me, the Infinity Gems are a real thing in comic book land that have implications when it comes to Thanos.

So, making me care even a little bit about the Gems here as plot is probably important for later things, but when it comes to the later movies I probably won't even remember this villain's name.

Diana Hignutt
08-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Of course, they're setting up Thanos to have the Infinity Gauntlet for Avengers 3, and since they don't have X-Men, FF, or Spidey...they're gonna have to fill our the team with new Avengers (Dr. Strange, Capt. Marvel) and a GOTG team-up...I will return any money if I am incorrect....

Cyia
08-04-2014, 10:56 PM
50/50 shot that this is legit (vs. a piece of hopeful fanart), but the image popped up yesterday. It's supposedly the titles for several Marvel films over the next few years.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/31/thor-3-ragnarok-and-the-avengers-civil-war-the-future-of-marvel-leaked-2151094

Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man and the sequels to Thor, Cap, and even Dr. Strange are no surprise, but check out the last few.

Avengers:Civil War, Black Panther, World War Hulk, and The Inhumans.

If legit, I'd think the last of the Avengers films would refer directly to the Gauntlet. I'd also expect Avengers 3 to be the final installment of the Marvel cycle, unless they're doing some stand-alone films after to capitalize on the momentum while it's still going. World War Hulk is a pretty big can of worms to be opening, and for the Civil War storyline to work, they'd have to resurrect SHIELD as a functional entity (which IS possible, especially with the TV series around to do the groundwork via Coulson, etc.) Also, there's absolutely no mention of a female-lead solo film, which has been hinted off and on recently.

As for the comments about the Collector, he may have been last minute, but he's now likely integral. One of his "pieces" is apparently Adam Warlock (the slug looking thing in a tank), who is needed for the Gauntlet storyline. Likewise, Asgard is going to be brought directly into that storyline, too, as Oden had the Gauntlet itself in his hall. Which, after Thor 2 means that LOKI has the Gauntlet.

So, legit image or not. Fun times ahead, folks.

katiemac
08-04-2014, 11:16 PM
50/50 shot that this is legit (vs. a piece of hopeful fanart), but the image popped up yesterday. It's supposedly the titles for several Marvel films over the next few years.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/07/31/thor-3-ragnarok-and-the-avengers-civil-war-the-future-of-marvel-leaked-2151094

Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man and the sequels to Thor, Cap, and even Dr. Strange are no surprise, but check out the last few.

If legit, I'd think the last of the Avengers films would refer directly to the Gauntlet. I'd also expect Avengers 3 to be the final installment of the Marvel cycle, unless they're doing some stand-alone films after to capitalize on the momentum while it's still going. World War Hulk is a pretty big can of worms to be opening, and for the Civil War storyline to work, they'd have to resurrect SHIELD as a functional entity (which IS possible, especially with the TV series around to do the groundwork via Coulson, etc.) Also, there's absolutely no mention of a female-lead solo film, which has been hinted off and on recently.

As for the comments about the Collector, he may have been last minute, but he's now likely integral. One of his "pieces" is apparently Adam Warlock (the slug looking thing in a tank), who is needed for the Gauntlet storyline. Likewise, Asgard is going to be brought directly into that storyline, too, as Oden had the Gauntlet itself in his hall. Which, after Thor 2 means that LOKI has the Gauntlet.

I'm calling fake. They wouldn't have title treatment available for a title not coming out until 2019. That said, this doesn't mean it's not close to real, but if Marvel were going to make an announcement like this, I'd think they'd want to have done it at Comic Con two weekends ago.

Maggie Maxwell
08-04-2014, 11:19 PM
What Katie said. Plus, that's been going around for months now. It may be new to the article writer, but I've seen it on Pinterest since before Winter Soldier. If it's a leak, Marvel hasn't acknowledged it to my knowledge.

MttStrn
08-05-2014, 02:07 AM

This is fake. This popped up a few months ago on Reddit as someone's fan art.

CrastersBabies
08-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Finally saw it. And really enjoyed the heck out if it. Great, witty dialogue. I'd like to see a rap battle between Nicole Perlman and Joss Whedon. :)

Or their perspective characters that they've written in the Marvel universe.

A lot of fun. Groot was probably my favorite. And Starlord. Oh heck, I can't pick just one.

robeiae
08-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Saw it with the kids. It was fun. A little on the long side, but still good.

But I have to admit, I don't really like the newer Guardians. I prefer the original team that worked with Thor to defeat Korvak, then with the Avengers to defeat the Enemy (Korvak reborn).

And I didn't like how the Collector was portrayed here. The man is close to a friggin' god. Really, he's stronger than most gods in the Marvel Universe.

Still, good stuff.

Thuro
08-05-2014, 05:28 AM
I gotta stop reading this thread. Spoiling the movie for myself.

Finally saw it. And really enjoyed the heck out if it. Great, witty dialogue. I'd like to see a rap battle between Nicole Perlman and Joss Whedon. :)

Or their perspective characters that they've written in the Marvel universe.

A lot of fun. Groot was probably my favorite. And Starlord. Oh heck, I can't pick just one.

That would be the best. He can actually sing so that might be theoretically possible.

Zoombie
08-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Saw it with the kids. It was fun. A little on the long side, but still good.

This is epidemic in modern movies.

Hell, I recently re-watched Enemy Mine. That movie jams SO MUCH into an hour and a half that I could hardly believe that the film was an hour and a half long. It had two and a half hours of plot in that thing, with character building, world building, and action all at once!

Modern movies need to learn how to tone it the fuck down and be speedier!

Primus
08-07-2014, 05:41 AM
I saw Guardians just the other day and it was alright I thought. Nothing amazing as it was filled with those o'so familiar tropes/formulae: a group of disparate bandits that are brought together by undesirable/unforeseen circumstances that, at the origin, only look out for themselves (oh, and for whatever reason, there's that one character who can understand what his best bud is saying––and no one else mind you––when it only ever speaks three words. That "bond" they share.), are presented with an ultimatum, have a couple of heroic sacrifices, have a change of heart, and then, that forbidding baddie that is so diabolically vengeful in spirit, is taken down by those bandits in a good ol': "Take my hand and will defeat him together!" moment.

So what do they realize in the end: "We're friends! Group hug everybody! Now let's stay good and do good!"

Sorry for the rant. It's a great movie for the younglings.

Zoombie
08-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Hey, after sitting through dreck like Transformers, seeing a movie that uses tropes well is like a delightful balm or soothing ointment.

CrastersBabies
08-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey, after sitting through dreck like Transformers, seeing a movie that uses tropes well is like a delightful balm or soothing ointment.

Yeah, that's a pretty thin hair to split, imho, bringing up the "we came together as a group" trope. Especially in a comic book movie about a group of heroes. :)

nighttimer
08-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Saw the movie last weekend with my son and three nephews. Dug the hell out of it and laughed our asses off. Seriously. We had to reattach them after the movie.

I rank it behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier and way ahead of X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. I AM GROOT! THEY ARE GROOT! WE ARE GROOT!

You can be Groot too. (http://usvsth3m.com/post/93968420238/grootify-anything-with-our-new-magic-button):D

calieber
08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
So, I won't lie, the fact that this wacky cosmic space adventure funtime stuff is happening at the same time AND IN THE SAME UNIVERSE as a conspiracy thriller like Winter Soldier...tickles my brain.

Comedy and conspiracy thrillers take place in the same real-life universe. With a bit of pornography if you're lucky, according to Alan Moore.

Zoombie
08-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Comedy and conspiracy thrillers take place in the same real-life universe. With a bit of pornography if you're lucky, according to Alan Moore.

Yeah, but life is (sadly, as far as I know) not a space opera.

I'd be freaking STOKED if it was.

DancingMaenid
08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
I saw it on Monday, sort of on a whim. I've never read the comics, and I've only seen a few of the Marvel movies. But stuff I'd read about it intrigued me.

I enjoyed it a lot. To be honest, it didn't quite live up to the hype for me, though I think that was partly because I'd already seen/heard about a lot of the jokes. But it was a lot of fun, and I'll probably rewatch it once it comes out on DVD or streaming services. I liked all the performances a lot, and thought the characters and the actors made up for the cliche plot.

And the soundtrack is really catchy. Any movie that uses Blue Swede is okay in my books.

On other sites, I've seen some people say that they didn't think Gamora was fleshed-out enough. But I actually liked her characterization. I thought she was as well-developed as the other characters. Also, I usually dislike it when the one woman in an ensemble like that is given romantic/sexual tension with the male lead, because it often feels really forced and like the female character is being reduced to a potential love interest. But I didn't feel that way with this movie at all. Peter tries to flirt with her a couple times, but I never felt like that dominated her role in the film or even her interaction with Peter. And both sides of their interaction seemed in-character.

Mclesh
08-14-2014, 09:35 PM
I saw it last Friday. It was much better than I expected--I don't think the trailer I saw did it justice. Loved Groot. I AM GROOT.

But what really got me was the soundtrack. I had to go home and listen to Go All The Way by the Raspberries over and over.

Turns out the soundtrack has already hit #1 on Billboard (http://io9.com/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtrack-is-the-1-album-1621103240/all).

Sage
08-14-2014, 09:43 PM
I bought the soundtrack as I walked out of the theater and haven't stopped listening to it. So many songs that I already loved, and others that I was introduced to.

Alessandra Kelley
08-14-2014, 10:18 PM
I saw it the other day with my family.

Just as with the Lego Movie, I went in never having seen the trailer and having only the vaguest sense of what it might be about. I also avoided this thread until now.

It was thoroughly enjoyable on multiple levels. I can see why it's been so well received.

robjvargas
08-14-2014, 10:46 PM
It's not Oscar-winner, except perhaps in the effects department (and I don't think they were Oscar-good either).

But my son and I enjoyed the experience. Really, for me, that's all I ask. Let me leave the theater with a smile at the thought of the previous (approximately) two hours.

I did. Even with the after-credit film short. I couldn't count all the groans that got.

DancingMaenid
08-14-2014, 11:41 PM
I bought the soundtrack as I walked out of the theater and haven't stopped listening to it. So many songs that I already loved, and others that I was introduced to.

I'm really tempted by the soundtrack. The only reason I haven't gotten it is because I already own at least half the songs, either on iTunes or CD. But I looked last night and couldn't find the CD I was sure I had with "Hooked On a Feeling" on it anywhere. :(

robjvargas
08-14-2014, 11:52 PM
For what it's worth, the soundtrack (perhaps a shortened version) is available on Google Play.

Cyia
08-15-2014, 04:31 PM
They're saying the soundtrack is actually a Billboard first. There's never been a movie soundtrack hit the chart high spot without a single original song before. (It has to be an awesome feeling for the original artists to see their music back on top.)

I'm surprised that Sony hasn't taken advantage of the movie to re-release "Guardian" edition Walkmans as a collector's item. And though not many people would be able to play them, I think an actual cassette of "Awesome Mix #1" (and maybe #2) would be something fun to include with the "big" Blu-ray set that always comes out around Christmas. It would be like the Dharma Initiative's VHS tape in the Lost box set.

And the "dancing baby Groot" scene is now available online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMkwRd5JMA

Enjoy :D

Myrealana
08-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm really tempted by the soundtrack. The only reason I haven't gotten it is because I already own at least half the songs, either on iTunes or CD. But I looked last night and couldn't find the CD I was sure I had with "Hooked On a Feeling" on it anywhere. :(
Totally bought it.

Heck, I left the movie saying "I want Awsome Mix #1," so when it came up on iTunes I didn't hesitate.

I only duplicated one song, so it was well worth the price.

Diana Hignutt
08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
They're saying the soundtrack is actually a Billboard first. There's never been a movie soundtrack hit the chart high spot without a single original song before. (It has to be an awesome feeling for the original artists to see their music back on top.)

I'm surprised that Sony hasn't taken advantage of the movie to re-release "Guardian" edition Walkmans as a collector's item. And though not many people would be able to play them, I think an actual cassette of "Awesome Mix #1" (and maybe #2) would be something fun to include with the "big" Blu-ray set that always comes out around Christmas. It would be like the Dharma Initiative's VHS tape in the Lost box set.

And the "dancing baby Groot" scene is now available online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoMkwRd5JMA

Enjoy :D

Bought the CD!

Sage
08-15-2014, 08:43 PM
I only duplicated 2 songs (unless you count the Glee version of I Want You Back). Had it been more, I might have bought them individually, but I was so happy with these awesome songs that I happened not to have, and it's fun to listen to the album as a whole.

I totally think they should sell Dancing Baby Groots

Sage
08-15-2014, 08:47 PM
The other day I was thinking about how if I was abducted as a kid and had a walkman and one cassette tape, I would not stop listening to it either. Because I listened to my walkman, discman, and now MP3 player everywhere I go.

And that made me think of the problems I had with listening to the walkman and discman all the time, like how easily I wore out headphones and went through batteries. And that made me wonder...how does Peter get compatible batteries?

robjvargas
08-15-2014, 09:16 PM
And that made me think of the problems I had with listening to the walkman and discman all the time, like how easily I wore out headphones and went through batteries. And that made me wonder...how does Peter get compatible batteries?

Flux capacitor.

Oh, wait, wrong universe.

Replicators? No, that's...

Hmm.

Cyia
08-16-2014, 03:20 AM
The other day I was thinking about how if I was abducted as a kid and had a walkman and one cassette tape, I would not stop listening to it either. Because I listened to my walkman, discman, and now MP3 player everywhere I go.

Exactly the same thing I asked the person with me. He not only never broke or wore out that tape in 20+ years, but he had batteries and pristine headphones, AND managed to build a tape deck with speakers in an alien space craft.

Sage
08-16-2014, 03:24 AM
*is willing to suspend disbelief for everything in the movie, except the walkman*

Zoombie
08-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Exactly the same thing I asked the person with me. He not only never broke or wore out that tape in 20+ years, but he had batteries and pristine headphones, AND managed to build a tape deck with speakers in an alien space craft.

I actually figured that he went to a alien shop, had them scan the stuff, and then replicate it, so he'd have backups.

I mean, honestly, it wouldn't be that difficult.

Sage
08-16-2014, 03:43 AM
If he had backups, why would he go out of his way to rescue the walkman/tape?

kuwisdelu
08-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Pfft that's nothing compared to what this fucking thing has been through.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143553/Anime/sdat0201.jpg

Steve Coate
08-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Completely avoided this thread until today, when I was finally able to see the film.

Initially, I was worried at the opening dancing scene. But my concern proved baseless. I loved this movie. I laughed, squeezed out a tear or two, may even have Grooted in my seat a time or two.

Didn't really consider the battery subject before now, because it was a part of the character that I really enjoyed, but seeing as Peter was on a pirate ship, it's possible he was able to find a comparable substitute when the batteries eventually died. Pirates loot, and when they can't loot, they salvage.

Also, if Rocket can figure out how to cobble together a (if you saw the movie you know what) from scrap in a short amount of time, it figures that Peter, having the motivation of someone stuck somewhere for a long time, could figure out a power source from available materials. Likewise for the tape deck in his craft.

*shrugs*

It worked for me, and that's what was important to my viewing experience.

cornflake
08-17-2014, 05:07 AM
The batteries didn't bother me (hey, I made a potato clock as a kid; I figured alien technology could have rechargables someplace), but that the tape was still operational and hadn't worn out or tangled in 20 years did.

Also really wondered about the tape deck.

J.S.F.
08-19-2014, 12:16 PM

---

I feel like tossing a Johnny Depp/Ed Wood line of "haven't you ever heard of suspension of disbelief" at someone...but won't. I wondered about that, too, but my feeling is that if you love something from your youth, you'll take REALLY good care of it. And, as someone already mentioned, it's not impossible for an advanced alien species to fix up or build something relatively simple as a pair of headphones or rig up some batteries.

I loved the flick, will definitely get the DVD when it comes out. Ooga-chaka ooga ooga ooga-chaka ooga ooga ooga...

nighttimer
08-27-2014, 03:55 AM
I'll just leave this here... (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3896&p=.htm)

After trailing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=teenagemutantninjaturtles.htm) for the past two weeks, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm) moved back in to first place this weekend.

In the process, Guardians of the Galaxy passed Transformers: Age of Extinction (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers4.htm) to become the highest-grossing movie of the Summer at the domestic box office.

Among the newcomers, If I Stay (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ifistay.htm) had a solid debut, while Sin City: A Dame to Kill For imploded.

Guardians of the Galaxy eased 32 percent to $17.2 million. It has now earned over $251 million, and by Friday it will pass fellow Marvel movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel14b.htm) ($259.8 million) to become the top grosser of the year. It also now seems likely that Guardians will end its run with over $300 million.

If anyone at anytime predicted a superhero flick with no big stars that wasn't a sequel, prequel, reboot, remake about five losers led by a former fat actor who rocked up for the role and featured a talking raccoon and tree would be the Heavyweight Champion of the Summer holding off super soldiers, wall-crawlers, mutants, Transformers and turtles, I'd say you were talking out of your ass.

At some point this hot streak Marvel is on is gonna turn cold. But before it does they are now where Pixar was: standing on top of the Hollywood sign, lord and master of all they survey, lighting cigars with $100 bills and pissing down on the heads of the peasants below.

J.S.F.
09-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Took my family to see it--so much fun! Cliched in some spots, but earnestly dumb and very enjoyable. Bautista is a far better actor than anyone has ever given him credit for, and pro wrestling being part acting or not, he gave a very nice, believable performance.

Who's up for the sequel?

robjvargas
09-15-2014, 05:10 PM

*Technically,* we don't know that he didn't wear them out. That Walkman could have been alien tech inside a shell. Only the fact that it looks like a Walkman remains. Same for the tape. It could be a tape, still, but made of alien Handwavium with the music stored at the quantum level so that it never wears out.

IT COULD HAPPEN! :cry:

RJenn
09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
I loved the movie. I actually saw it twice - a friend of mine really wanted to see it, and since she saw Watchmen a second time for me, I saw it again. I think it's one of the better Marvel films in recent memory (although I did enjoy Captain America). It was a little cliche in some spots but if you're looking for complete originality in comic book adaptations, you're barking up the wrong tree. Actually I think Watchmen was the last comic/film to try something different, and it didn't generate a lot of profit. It's more of a sure thing for studios to put out films like this that abide by a certain template.

Christracy19
10-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I loved the movie, got to be the best action film of the year.