What Kind of Photography Equipment

squibnocket

All-Around Swell Gal
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi AWers,

What equipment (types of lenses, flash?) would a professional photographer use to take photos of a person in a typical fluorescent-lit hospital room? A studio-like setup isn't possible in this environment, so I'm looking for the least amount of gear that my character can use to get professional-level photos without being too intrusive to patients and staff.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking evidence photos to document abuse/injuries or someone who wants their portrait taken while they are hospitalized?

For a portrait type shot:

Depending on the size of the room they can probably bring in a couple light stands with "speedlights" and umbrellas. A speedlight is basically a flash unit that can be used on or off the camera. Two speedlights with umbrellas, synched with the camera, would suffice and wouldn't be that much equipment. (2 stands, 2 speedlights, 2 umbrellas on teh stands, plus his camera).

A reflector would also be useful. If there is a second person they could hold it exactly where the photographer needs it. If not, the photographer could put it on a stand or possibly prop it up on a chair or something.

If you have to go bare minimum, with absolute no off camera lights, he could use a camera mounted flash that has a adaptor to bring it higher up off the camera so it is further away from the lens. This reduces the chance for red eye and similiar problems. The photographer would likely use a flash diffuser (attaches to the flash) or a bounce card (white card behind the flash). He avoid aiming the flash directly at the model and would bounce it off the white card or possibly off the white ceiling.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I'm assuming we are talking about today, and not in the past. A professional would use the best camera for the job . Personally I like Lumix . You could easily use a compact Lumex , and still get a reasonably good result . But something like the Lumix DMC- GH3 is so sensitive you can use it for interiors, without any lighting . But you can use a small flash attachment to achieve a good sharp image .It comes with a 12-35 mm lens , that would be good for this situation .

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
What's the purpose of the photo taking? I've been on in-store site shoots with a pro for brochure and marketing images. She had:

- a high end Hasselblad digital camera (worth nearly $10,000 on its own).
- three lenses, standard zoom, wide angle, and a fixed lens (I think it was a 50mm but don't quote me on that). Again lenses were high end, best-you-can-buy equipment, this was her livelihood.
- two portable lights for background lighting. Because this was intended to show off the stores, she wanted the light even throughout the store.
- reflector on hand, although I never saw her use it.
- release forms for anyone who was in the photographs to sign. She couldn't have used the photographs otherwise.

Not on site, but all images were reviewed and finished in Photoshop on a Mac desktop computer.

If your scenario's different, there may be other gear. It depends entirely what is being photographed.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is the purpose of taking the picture? If it is to take pictures of wounds, you just need enough light to capture the wounds clearly.

I'd take my usual camera, which is a Canon 5d Mk II (I don't think you need anything better than that, tbh) along with my 50mm lens.

If there is enough light in the room, I might not even need to use flash as that might wash out the colors and the wounds wouldn't show up properly. If the room is very dark, I'd use an on-camera flash with a diffuser and bounce it off the ceiling. There should be no need for anything so cumbersome as off-camera flashes or umbrellas. When I shoot weddings, I only use my off-camera flashes during the first dance, when we're in a large room which has super dim lighting.

If all the character needs are pictures of visible wounds, it should take no more than ten minutes to take a couple of test shots, adjust the camera for lighting, take the actual pictures, and leave.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Why and when is this photographer doing this?

I used to work in a welfare office. Social workers used an Instamatic type camera to document abuse--you know, the type that spits out a developed picture in a minute. That way they could make sure the picture showed the abuse. Once the most accurate picture was developed they clipped it inside the case file for documentation. That way the judge handling the case could see the actual abuse before the bruises faded in the weeks before the case came to court.

I think it would be easier to photo shop the photo from a digital camera so it would be less credible as evidence. Maybe an old fashioned film camera is still used. They are making them very small these days but the photos are not portrait quality..

As for a long shot--the longer the lens the more light is eaten up. A picture taken with a telescopic lens from a hospital hallway would need a very bright flash. That would definitely be noticed.--s6

Last edited:

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI, digital images are now commonly accepted as evidence. There are some procedural safeguards to be followed, but I'm not up on the specifics.

squibnocket

All-Around Swell Gal
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I sincerely appreciate your input.

The purpose of the photos are end-of-life portraits to give as mementos for family members. The setting is indeed present day and the subjects are gravely ill.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I sincerely appreciate your input.

The purpose of the photos are end-of-life portraits to give as mementos for family members. The setting is indeed present day and the subjects are gravely ill.

In that case, in addition to my earlier post, I'd take my 50mm lens as well as one with a wider angle, such as the 35mm lens in case I might need a group shot in a tight space like a hospital room. If it's the daytime and there's a window in the room, I'd refrain from using flash because flash often results in a less flattering shot. I'd try to use natural reflectors. (It's also possible to find natural reflectors indoors.) If it's nighttime or there are no windows, I'd bounce the flash off a white card (most professional-grade flashes come with an attached white card for this pupose).

Do note though that there's pretty much no "right or wrong" answer here. If you asked ten photographers this question, you'd probably get ten different answers depending on the photographer's style and preference.