Share Your Writing Playlist

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
The "last song you listened to" thread gave me inspiration for this. Do you have a Playlist (Spotify, Pandora, Grooveshark, etc) that you made just for writing? Let's share our playlists with each other, and find new songs we can add to our own!

Mine:
I prefer to listen to more instrumental, non vocal tracks when writing. This is a playlist I created that is instrumental, but not in the typical "classical" vein...not sure what genre you would consider these. I try to keep the mood of the majority of the songs in here feel neutral with a few shifts here and there.

Last edited:

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
athousandkeystrokes.wordpress.com
I don't have a public playlist since I use foobar2000. But I featured a lot of my albums from that playlist in my Top 11 Albums to Listen to While Writing blog post. Take a look at the Honorable Mentions, too. Apart from that, I got Batman: Arkham City and Arkham Origins in my playlist as well as Medal of Honor: Airborne, Metroid Prime, Mafia, Overlord, Portal 1 & 2, Prince of Persia series, Rosenkreuzstilette (though one could argue that's not the most suited game score, but I use this playlist for anything, not just writing), Shadow of the Colossus, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Sunshine, Terminator 2, The Book of Eli, The Last of the Mohicans, The Saboteur, Tomb Raider (the new one), Tron: Legacy, World of Warcraft (Breath of Al'Akir omg. So good), Bionic Commando, Beyond Good & Evil, Crysis 3, Death Note, and probably a good few others.

Cheers

EDIT: By the way, your link requires signing up. Don't know if that's such a good thing, but if it's forced by the website, there isn't much you can do. Also, Teardrop--nice taste!

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
It has to be classical. Jazz is too erratic and anything with words is a bad mix when I'm trying to come up with my own.

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
If I want to pop in a CD, I'll pop in Everything But The Girl's CD, titled Amplified Heart. It's slow, jazzy, and the lyrics are soft and easy to write to if playing in the background (it's a bit old).

I love to listen to the Instrumental mix on the Indecent Proposal Soundtrack while writing. It's called "Instrumental Suite," and it's a mix of pieces from several songs, all put nicely into a 22-minute segment on the CD. The Theme from the movie, The Bodyguard gets me through some serious scenes. I stumbled upon a ballet CD from Elena Baliakhova, and I adore "Adagio, 3/4 Lambert 8x8." Then, there's always the instrumental pieces on the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack. I like "Lift in the Lake Theme," as well as "Baby's Walk." On George Michael's "Older" album, there is a instrumental mix called "Free." All of these are on my "Writing Playlist" on my iPhone. If you want to hear these and find others, Google Music is excellent in letting you browse. Pretty inexpensive - it's about $7 a month.

Last edited:

-May-

Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: By the way, your link requires signing up. Don't know if that's such a good thing, but if it's forced by the website, there isn't much you can do. Also, Teardrop--nice taste!

Oh that is weird... I thought it would just open it up and play it. Thanks, I removed the link I don't want to inadvertently promote things I shouldn't.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
athousandkeystrokes.wordpress.com
Yeah, it could have just been on my side, but I don't think so. I do believe Spotify requires you to have an account to play playlists. I wouldn't see it as inappropriate promotion though. You can still see the tracks of your playlist in the background. They're just a little darker because the background is grayed out and there's that little sign-up-please window in the way, but you can just scroll a little and there you go. Then again, I recently found out my tendency toward pessimism has significantly shifted to optimism lately (no idea when that happened). I even see death as a good thing.

Cheers

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a Playlist (Spotify, Pandora, Grooveshark, etc) that you made just for writing?

Nope.

We were just talking about this in the asylum the other day!

I never used to be able to write with any music playing at all, but here recently I've found that I can write with ambient music playing softly.

The thing is though, that I have to differentiate between free writing/rough draft writing and the more intense editing. I can outline a chapter and rough draft it with the ambient music on, but if it's rewrite/editing time, I have to go back to silence.

The way I want my words to go together in the end, means they will have a sound of their own. That 'sound' has to be has just so, and I have to be able to hear it without any interference noise.

So there's not a yes/no answer here for me. =)

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Here's a random 20 for today

More News from Nowhere - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Idiot Wind - Bob Dylan
Shot Shot - Gomez
Blue Monday - Fats Domino
I Want You - Elvis Costello
Did She Jump or Was She Pushed - Richard And Linda Thompson
The Creature From the Black Lagoon - Dave Edmunds
Long Black Veil - Johnny Cash
Please Read the Letter - Robert Plant and Alison Strauss
Sloth - Fairport Convention
Blue Moon of Kentucky - Elvis Presley
Drive All Night - Bruce Springsteen
Take Me to the River - Talking Heads
Mandolin Wind - The Faces
My Baby Just Cares for Me - Nina Simone
Ball and Chain - Janis Joplin
The Weaver's Answer - Family
Castles Made of Sand - Jimi Hendrix
Beat the Devil's Tattoo - BRMC
Mystery Girl - Roy Orbison

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you that mentioned ambient music, I'll recommend somafm.com

Depending on what I'm writing, I use their "Groove Salad" or "Doomed" as background noise.

Lately I've been using this folk music inspired station on Pandora. Lots of accordions and fiddles. :)

Routhwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
constantnoble.miraheze.org
The reason for those two posts last Tuesday? Well, I've been working on a "Take 2" version of From the Pages of Marigot Magic, a companion soundtrack to my NaNoWriMo project.

What I've managed so far (spanning 88 tracks at this writing) is on Dropbox and my new Galaxy Tab, thanks to Grooveshark's recent TOS. The remnants of the bloated original (with 29 tracks missing,† 400 intact) are staying on the latter service for archival purposes. Pay no attention to this one, especially after I'm done with the revision.

What sets these versions apart: focus on the story as I am constantly visualising it. Now centring on Sam, Bethany and friends as much as before. (Sam's the raccoon protagonist; Bethany the quokka's his nemesis. See where I'm going here?)

And although it accompanies a children's book, most of what you'll hear is far more suited for grown-up music lovers. (Renaud's "Marche à l'ombre", for instance; Google the lyrics and translate them to see for yourself.)

Announcing new additions on my Google+ feed as soon as they come. Currently on Disc 5, LP side A; tracks 6 through 8 (on Side B) to follow in the next three hours. Happy listening, guys!

† I've saved those 29, thankfully, on PC.

Last edited: