Reasons why a Car Won't Start?

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I have a situation in my novel where a car won't start. I need the solution to be simple, but it can't be a dead battery or that the car is out of gas.

In very hot weather, would a car not start if it didn't have water in it?? Or is there some other reason it may not start that would be easily fixed (i.e. adding water, or oil, or some sort of transmission or brake fluid or something?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What time period?

If you don't need anything detailed, then you can just say it was an electrical connection.

Hondas used to have a problem with a relay under the dashboard when it got hot, so just opening the doors and letting the interior cool would often help.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, an electrical connection would work with any make. You can never tell when there'll be such a problem.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The reason I asked what time period was because in the good old days vapor lock used to be a common problem in hot weather, but that's mostly been eliminated with modern fuel injection systems.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
The reason I asked what time period was because in the good old days vapor lock used to be a common problem in hot weather, but that's mostly been eliminated with modern fuel injection systems.

Vapor lock in the line from the tank can still be a problem.

NeuroGlide

Out of my mind, leave a message
Registered
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay fails. It's hard to diagnose, but easy to fix as you just need to swap out the relay. If it looks like the cylinder is getting a spark, but no fuel, I'll swap the relay with the wiper relay (same type on every car I've owned) and try starting.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It is a BMW sedan that - in my story - is about fifteen years old. I need the problem to be something that when the guy looks under the hood he can fix it pretty quickly. Like "Oh, it was just the ___."

If it helps, it is during a heat wave. If the engine was just overheated, would the car not start?

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Fuel pump relay fails. It's hard to diagnose, but easy to fix as you just need to swap out the relay. If it looks like the cylinder is getting a spark, but no fuel, I'll swap the relay with the wiper relay (same type on every car I've owned) and try starting.

I like this idea! So, if it was a fifteen year old BMW automatic and the guy said something vague like "Oh, it's your fuel pump relay. Let me swap it out for the wiper relay."

Of course, I don't know what any of this means...but if I kept it vague, would it be believable??

Thanks for the suggestions!

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
I like this idea! So, if it was a fifteen year old BMW automatic and the guy said something vague like "Oh, it's your fuel pump relay. Let me swap it out for the wiper relay."

Of course, I don't know what any of this means...but if I kept it vague, would it be believable??

Thanks for the suggestions!

More like "Hmmm.... Let me try som'thin'. Alright, try it now." rer rer rer Varoom. "You need a new relay," hands them a piece of black plastic with prongs on one end and writing on the other, "Get it 'fore it rains, wipers won't work 'til ya do."

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
More like "Hmmm.... Let me try som'thin'. Alright, try it now." rer rer rer Varoom. "You need a new relay," hands them a piece of black plastic with prongs on one end and writing on the other, "Get it 'fore it rains, wipers won't work 'til ya do."

I love it! Only thing is, I am worried that in a BMW the relays for the fuel pump are not under the hood, but behind the glove box. I've been googling around and I saw a diagram that says you have to remove the glove box in order to get to them. Darn it. Maybe I'll have to change makes of car?

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
Then I suggest you hit your local library and check out their collection of Chilton & Haynes auto repair manuals.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We had a problem with a bad connection from the battery to the terminal due to build up of debris on the terminals. (My understanding is that the debris was caused by corrossion on the terminals in the car, if I recall correctly).

The car wouldn't start, but it was an easy fix when someone who knew what they were doing looked at it. (They just disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals, and reconnected the battery. They did it in 10 minutes in our driveway)

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Had a friend who got a new battery put in and then a couple days later car wouldn't start. We opened the hood to jump it and one of the contact cables had worked its way off the contact. Just put it back and the car started.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the starter motor (at least, that's what it's called in the UK). If there's something wrong with the starter motor, it's similar to having a dead battery but the electrics will usually still work. It's a fairly easy fix but the car would need a mechanic.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Dirty contacts on the distributor

Insulation gone on a wire so it is shorting out on the car body

Ignition lock with loose connection - shake the steering column in frustration and it starts.

If diesel, glow plugs gone - but not a quick fix.

If diesel, fuse to the glow plugs gone - there is a work around for that but you need to get a new one immediately.

RandomJerk

Jerk.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnnynull.com
Contribution from recent personal experience - I've a 2005 car. It has a passlock security module thinger, even though there's no embedded chip in the key. The other morning the security light came on, but wouldn't start. Battery/power was fine. The (possibly temporary?) fix is to leave the key in the "on" position for ten minutes, try to start it, turn it off, let it sit for 20 seconds, try to start it. If the passlock thing isn't blown, it can take up to three times for this to reset the security system. I love my car.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
hee I was going to suggest the terminals on the battery. True story, I was on a trip to East Texas/West Louisiana and my car kept dying when I turned it off. Tried everything, we'd have to jump it, had the alternator checked out and swapped out the battery. It even died once on the side of the road (about 100 miles from home). In frustration I called everyone I knew for help, a friend was near by, stopped at Wal-Mart and picked up a terminal cleaning kit. He scrapped the corrosion off the terminal and it started right up. Talking to my dad a day or two later (after he checked the original battery and found it was good) he said, "you always travel with a bottle or two of Coke right?" I said, yeah and he went on to tell me that you can pour a little bit of the coke on your terminals, use a wire brush or a small pen knife and clean the terminals. Reconnect and it'll start. I've tried it and it works. Something in the coke eats away at the corrosion.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
If the vehicle is a diesel pickup (like what I drive), it may not start in weather below 30 F. Diesels can be particular in that way. In cold weather, it's ideal to plug in their block heater, so the engine stays warm (I've had my share of incidents in the past, where I was late to work, because I forgot to plug in my truck the night before). In fact, it's not uncommon for someone with a diesel to go to the movies or something on a cold night, and not be able to start up their truck in the parking lot.

MisterFrancis

Registered
Reaction score
My (ancient, knackered, exciting) car won't start after heavy rain, if I forget to cover it up, because some genius designer at MG put the ignition leads and coils right under the boot-lid engine vent.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a super easy solution, you could have someone try to start the car in neutral, which it won't. Simply put it in park to resolve.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My car ('02 Saturn Ion) and my husband's car - same model - had a problem where they wouldn't start because the security system didn't recognize a valid key.

We would put the key in, car would turn over once and die. It was 100% dead. No revving. No choking. There was just nothing. There was absolutely nothing you could do to start that car for ten minutes. Then, after ten minutes had passed, you could try again. If it didn't start that time, you had to wait ten more minutes.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
My car ('02 Saturn Ion) and my husband's car - same model - had a problem where they wouldn't start because the security system didn't recognize a valid key.

We would put the key in, car would turn over once and die. It was 100% dead. No revving. No choking. There was just nothing. There was absolutely nothing you could do to start that car for ten minutes. Then, after ten minutes had passed, you could try again. If it didn't start that time, you had to wait ten more minutes.

One of my brothers had a car with a similar problem, but he put a jump around it. I wish I could describe it in detail, but there was a length of wire that had to be touched to the ciragette lighter for the thing to start, and sometimes one would think that cord was a loose shoelace. Eventually the car died of other reasons.