Gunpowder Explosion and Facial Injuries

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Firearms are a new commodity in my fantasy world. As such, they're not too fantastic about safety precautions yet. I've got a scene planned out where my MC is standing fairly close (I'm thinking behind) someone who's improperly stuffing a barrel and it explodes. (Is that even possible? I know very little about the equivalent of 14/15th century firearms, though I'm reading up.) I'm expecting my MC to be blinded, but...would that be a realistic outcome, or am I about to blow his face off? :eek: And if he were blinded, to what degree would it be? I've assumed thus far it would be severe. Their medical tech is closer to late 16th/veeeery early 17th century, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

NeuroGlide

Out of my mind, leave a message
Registered
Reaction score
Firearms are a new commodity in my fantasy world. As such, they're not too fantastic about safety precautions yet. I've got a scene planned out where my MC is standing fairly close (I'm thinking behind) someone who's improperly stuffing a barrel and it explodes. (Is that even possible? I know very little about the equivalent of 14/15th century firearms, though I'm reading up.) I'm expecting my MC to be blinded, but...would that be a realistic outcome, or am I about to blow his face off? :eek: And if he were blinded, to what degree would it be? I've assumed thus far it would be severe. Their medical tech is closer to late 16th/veeeery early 17th century, if that helps.

Thank you in advance!

Well, here's some information that might help. Old gunpowder is what we now call black powder. Black powder is a mixture of saltpeter (primarily potassium nitrate, but also some other nitrates.), charcoal, and sulfur. Saltpeter is a white, crystalline substance, found under well-aged manure piles – of which no medieval society has a shortage. Charcoal is easily gotten by burning wood. Sulfur may be found as deposits of pale yellow crystals, and can also be obtained by evaporating the water from foul-smelling sulfur springs. A typical blend is 75% saltpeter, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur. Early gunpowder generally contained less saltpeter, which reduced it power (saltpeter is the oxidizer).

Layering sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter does not an explosive make! The constituents must be ground finely and combined in the right proportions. Producing black powder requires the ingredients, a few basic tools (mainly storage containers, and a mortar and pestle for grinding), and a few hours work. Success yields meal powder or serpentine. Serpentine had an annoying tendency to separate during transport or storage so artillists mixed the ingredients on the battlefield, usually under fire (brave men). Dampening this, pressing it into cakes, and drying and grinding the cakes (carefully – don’t strike a spark!) give corned powder. Corned powder could be ground to different sizes depending upon it's purpose, very fine for small arms or priming, course for artillery or blasting.

Historically, military gunpowder was packed in kegs holding 100 lbs. Two powder kegs made a convenient load for a mule or a pack horse. The usual charge for a flintlock musket was 100 to 200 grains; thus, at 7,000 grains to the pound, a mule-load of powder gave 7,000 to 14,000 musket shots! Smaller amounts were typically packed in 4-lb. cans.

Last edited:

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Thank you in advance!

What kind of gun barrel? Cannon or single shot hand-held muzzleloader?

If it was a cannon one thing that can cause a premature explosion is if there are any fragments of burning cloth from the gunpowder bag left in the barrel after the previous shot was fired. The crew is supposed to run a wet swab down the barrel between shots to prevent this, but it's possible for this to get overlooked.

If it was a cannon that explodes though we're talking about larger fragments and more fragments. Anyone too close would likely be killed or very severely injured.

There's a reason that St. Barbara, the Paton Saint of Sudden Death, is the Patron Saint for artillery crews, and it wasn't because they gave sudden death to their enemies.

If it was a hand-held muzzle loader, like a matchlock, or wheelock, or something similar, the explosion would be smaller and their would be fewer and smaller fragments. In that case, yes, having some hit his face and eyes and blinding him would be reasonable. (It would still work with a cannon too, just have him be further away).

For a hand held weapon to explode like that I'd expect it to be caused by an unknown (to the shooter) obstruction in the barrel. For a muzzle loader one easy way to do this is have the shooter load, but before he can fire, he drops to the ground (or is knocked down) and accidently pushes the muzzle into the dirt. When he gets up and fires the plugged barrel could cause an explosion.

You could also just have the weapon explode for some unknown reason. If firearms are relatively new, and metallurgy is still more art than science, sometimes things just "blow up" for no apparent reason, or at least no reason the character could immediately understand.

EDIT: Just thought of another reason for a hand held weapon to explode. If the shooter accidently loads a "double charge" of powder in the heat of battle the stress of the larger explosion could cause the barrel to burst.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Well, here's some information that might help.

That was utterly fantastic! Thank you! They've recently realized that the powder for their fireworks is rather useful for blowing things to smithereens (following history there lol), but I hadn't yet gotten to the nitty gritty of comparing the components of black powder to the records I've found of old Chinese firework components. :)

If it was a hand-held muzzle loader, like a matchlock, or wheelock, or something similar, the explosion would be smaller and their would be fewer and smaller fragments. In that case, yes, having some hit his face and eyes and blinding him would be reasonable. (It would still work with a cannon too, just have him be further away).

I've been torn between wheellock and matchlock because the mechanisms inside seems like something they'd be capable of producing, but I haven't made up my mind yet. The effect would be the same regardless, wouldn't it? Also, do you think this would cause total or partial blindness? It seems to me it would be quite severe.

You could also just have the weapon explode for some unknown reason. If firearms are relatively new, and metallurgy is still more art than science, sometimes things just "blow up" for no apparent reason, or at least no reason the character could immediately understand.

EDIT: Just thought of another reason for a hand held weapon to explode. If the shooter accidently loads a "double charge" of powder in the heat of battle the stress of the larger explosion could cause the barrel to burst.

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I'd read somewhere that overstuffing the barrel with powder could make it explode, and it would be so understandable for people who don't know what they're doing to go 'That doesn't look like enough. Let's add more.'

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Blinding - you don't need an explosion - you would get sight damage from getting sparks in your eyeballs. Both matchlocks and flintlocks have an external pan which goes off with a fast burn to fire the gun. Debris from that could be wind blown into your eyes. Wheel locks were slow to fire with a key to turn to set the wheel (from memory - you'd want to check that.

BTW - black powder does not go off well when damp. That can also be the cause of hang fires and lead to un-noticed overloading.
In rain, black powder wouldn't go off at all - black soup time. (Just an important realistic detail for your book.)

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an incident of a gunpowder explosion that occurred in 1656, from the Memoirs of James II:

An entire Regiment of horse, consisting of Six score, going from Douay to the Enemie's Camp, all of them Officers as well as Souldiers having behind them a bag of powder, besides about fourscore horses laden with hand grenades, which were led by Countrymen on foot, had been all blown up, but by what accident, none of those who were brought prisoners into the Camp could tell. Indeed it was a very dismall object, to behold a great number of poor men, who were brought into our Camp with their faces disfigur'd and their bodies burnt by powder, so that few of them recover'd, their Companions Having been all kill'd outright.
I happened since, when I was in Flanders, to talke with a Lieutenant of horse who was the only man that could give an account, how that accident befell them; for seeing his face had been burnt, I casually ask'd him how he came by that misfortune? He answer'd me, that it was by the blowing up of powder at such a time near Arras; and upon my examining him concerning the particulars of it, he told me, That happening to be in the Rear of the whole Regiment, he saw one of the Troopers with a pipe of tobacco lighted in his mouth; wherupon he rode up to him, and taking it gently from him, threw it away after which he beat him with his sword: The Soldier being drunke, pull'd out his pistol, and presented it to his breast; upon which the Lieutenant threw himself from his horse apprehending what might happen, and the Trooper at the same instant firing at him, it lighted on the bag behind the sd Lieutenant's horse, which taking fire, blew it up, and so, from one successively to the other who was next, it spred through the whole Regiment: he being on the ground escap'd best cheape, having only his face, his hands, and some parts of his body scorched.

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
That was utterly fantastic! Thank you! They've recently realized that the powder for their fireworks is rather useful for blowing things to smithereens (following history there lol), but I hadn't yet gotten to the nitty gritty of comparing the components of black powder to the records I've found of old Chinese firework components. :)

Well then, here's some more historical info:

As guns became more common on the battlefield, tactics changed to reflect their deployment. Firearms were needed to defeat the enemy, but soldiers armed with them were vulnerable to shock action. To stand and fight, they required protection. The best defense against enemy cavalry was a close formation of pike-armed infantry. Early tactics combined firearms- and pike-armed troops. The pikes provided shelter from enemy cavalry while the guns killed the opposition from afar. This is commonly referred to as pike and shot. Later, the bayonet was developed. This allowed every soldier to serve as his own pikeman. Instead of a portion of the formation being dedicated to shooting and a portion to melee, every man could do both. This dramatically increased the formation’s lethality at each task, and eliminated the need for specialized melee and fire troops.

The barrels of early handcannon (gonnes) were often made of bronze, but occasionally of wrought iron. The Chinese developed cast iron comparatively early and sometimes used it in gonnes. When Europe developed more sophisticated personal weapons, some early models had wrought-iron barrels, as did Japanese firearms inspired by them. The later matchlock weapons, and wheellock and flintlock firearms, had cast-iron barrels, which gave better strength for the same weight. Most barrels were smoothbore. These were favored for military use because they took less time to reload and could thus achieve a greater volume of fire. However, balls from smoothbores come out spinning on a random axis, which often deflects them from the target. Rifled barrels, which have spiral grooves that give the ball a controlled spin about an axis parallel to the barrel, date to the 1500s. Rifled guns were used in hunting, where accuracy was more important than reloading speed. Hunting guns often had two or more barrels, to give the hunter a second shot if the first one missed. This was especially important when hunting dangerous game such as bear or boar.

Matchlock firearms were standard military weapons through most of the 17th century, long after wheellocks and flintlocks were invented. So why didn't armies immediately adopt better weapons? Simple military conservatism played apart, but the main reason was that the new weapons were more expensive. Kings and generals preferred a large army with matchlocks to a small one with flintlocks. Still, armies did invest in more advanced weapons when they really needed them. Longarms were awkward for mounted men–cavalry men needed pistols. But matchlock pistols were also inconvenient on horseback. Thus, the cavalry got wheellocks by the end of the 16th century. Artillery forces worked with large amounts of powder. Burning slow matches risked setting it off! Soldiers guarding artillery were therefore issued the fusil – a flintlock long arm – in the late 17th century, long before ordinary infantry men got it. Rifles were more accurate than muskets, but took longer to reload. In mass combat, firing 50% more shots in the same time improved combat effectiveness more than did superior aim. Hunters, however, often worked alone, pursuing wary game; making the first shot count, and taking it from farther away, improved their chances of a kill. So hunters adopted rifles long before soldiers did–and early military sharpshooters were often called “hunters”(chasseurs in French or Jäger in German).

Matchlock: Developed by 1411 and standard after 1500, this lock placed the burning match in a mechanical holder attached to the gun. Pulling a trigger moved the match into the touchhole. Matchlocks had limitations – they were vulnerable to rain, the smoking match made them hard to conceal, and the glow was visible at night – but they were sufficiently easy to use to become the standard infantry weapons of their era.

Wheellock: This design came into use around 1500. Such locks were complicated and expensive. A clockwork spring in the lock turned a serrated steel wheel against a piece of iron pyrites, striking sparks that set off the powder. Pulling the trigger released the wheel. Then the gunner had to rewind the spring with a small lever, the spanner; reload the gun; and lower the cock, which held the pyrites, onto the firing pan. A gunman who loses his spanner can improvise one.

Flintlock: Developed in the 1500s and perfected by 1620, a flintlock has a cock that holds a piece of flint, which is pulled back against spring tension. Pulling the trigger releases the spring, which drives the flint against a steel frizzen, discharging the gun. There were similar designs known as snaphaunce, Miquelet lock, and doglock.

Loading multi-part ammo – powder, shot, and wadding (A.K.A. patch) – is a rather involved process. Briefly, you must pour in the propellant, usually from the muzzle; then insert and ram down the projectile, followed by the wadding; and finally fit the igniter to the action. The number of seconds required varies by weapon type, but some general rules apply (all times approximate):

A self-measuring powder flask subtracts five seconds from the final loose-ammunition loading time.

A self-priming pan subtracts 10 seconds, but this benefit isn't cumulative with that of a self-measuring flask.

Pre-measured paper cartridges halve the basic time required (round up), and supersede both of the above measures.

Muzzleloading musket or shotgun with flintlock action. Takes 30-40 seconds.

Muzzleloading rifle with flintlock action. Takes 50-60 seconds. Reduce by 10-15 seconds if using a greased patch.

Muzzleloading smoothbore revolver with flintlock action. Takes 15-20 seconds per chamber.

Muzzleloading rifled revolver with flintlock action. Takes 25-30 seconds per chamber.

Black powder produces a solid residue. In a long fight, carbon and lead buildup can have adverse effects on accuracy, loading speed, and reliability. After every five shots, the firer must take a two-minute break to clean his gun thoroughly. Any kind of watery liquid, including urine, will do. Saliva works well – shooters commonly hold a patch in their mouth until it’s saturated. Battlefield swabbing can’t remove all the fouling. Black powder is corrosive and attracts moisture. Cleaning and oiling the gun is a necessary after-battle chore. Disassembling the lock, cleaning it, reassembling it, and swabbing the barrel takes about an hour.

Gun calibers aren’t standardized, and balls can’t be mass-produced. Gun owners need equipment for casting their own balls: an iron or bronze crucible for melting lead, tongs for handling it, and a set of bullet molds. The latter resemble a large pair of needle-nose pliers with several round hollows of the proper size; they can be closed, clamped shut, and then opened when the balls have cooled. Even a single-cavity mold lets one make bullets quickly – a bullet per minute is a leisurely pace. It’s an easy job, too; a black-powder bullet is either good or it isn’t, and anybody can tell the difference. A campfire produces enough heat to melt lead; casting half a dozen balls takes 4 minutes. Armies carry lead ingots with them.

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an incident of a gunpowder explosion that occurred in 1656, from the Memoirs of James II:

Thank you for that! I hadn't read that one. :)

Well then, here's some more historical info:

This is the first time I've written a world with boom sticks, and it's been such fun to read about the change in battle strategy and start implementing it on my unsuspecting characters. From what you've said and the diagrams from the NRA I've been looking at, it sounds as if my world's tech is closer to wheellock than matchlock. They've managed some fairly complicated clockwork machines, so I don't think the mechanism is beyond them. Is this a good shot of the mechanism? This one is from c. 1600, so I know it's a little later than what my people would be doing. I never knew just how much went into loading the weapon. Now I'm afraid I'll never manage to get them to do it right! But that also makes it much easier for me to put my MC out of commission believably. You have been so fantastically detailed in your answers. Thank you.

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
This is the first time I've written a world with boom sticks, and it's been such fun to read about the change in battle strategy and start implementing it on my unsuspecting characters. From what you've said and the diagrams from the NRA I've been looking at, it sounds as if my world's tech is closer to wheellock than matchlock. They've managed some fairly complicated clockwork machines, so I don't think the mechanism is beyond them. Is this a good shot of the mechanism? This one is from c. 1600, so I know it's a little later than what my people would be doing. I never knew just how much went into loading the weapon. Now I'm afraid I'll never manage to get them to do it right! But that also makes it much easier for me to put my MC out of commission believably. You have been so fantastically detailed in your answers. Thank you.

Matchlock is cheaper to produce. You might want to reserve wheellock to artillery guards and cavalry. I've only touch on handguns, I haven't started on cannon yet. They killed the castle and created survey.

A good show to learn how all these developments were based on each other, and sometimes jumped from one area of research to another, is James Burke's "Connections," especially the first season/series. The first episode is a bit hard to watch, however. He talks about technological failure and social collapse, at the World Trade Center, twenty-five or so years before they fell.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Matchlock is cheaper to produce. You might want to reserve wheellock to artillery guards and cavalry. I've only touch on handguns, I haven't started on cannon yet. They killed the castle and created survey.

A good show to learn how all these developments were based on each other, and sometimes jumped from one area of research to another, is James Burke's "Connections," especially the first season/series. The first episode is a bit hard to watch, however. He talks about technological failure and social collapse, at the World Trade Center, twenty-five or so years before they fell.

Thanks, I will definitely check that out. :) And matchlock it shall be!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Work from the wound effects backward. Do you need him blind? Incapacitated? Scarred? Deaf?

In a firearm explosion (not uncommon at the time) the debris could range from splinters to metal shards to large metallic pieces to the projectiles being loaded. Velocity is not normally high so mortal damage is lessened but hand injuries to the shooter would be common and everything from burns to lacerations to concussions and even impalement could affect bystanders. Even a normal load, triggered prematurely, can inflict some serious wounds.

Jeff

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I will definitely check that out. :) And matchlock it shall be!

Episode 8, "Eat, Drink, and be Merry" touches on musket developments and their formations before going on to the important part of canned goods and how they led to the Apollo moon landing. Another episode (haven't found which one yet) talks about the need to develop firearms because farming improvements meant there weren't anymore longbowmen. The longbow had superior range, penetration, and rate of fire to early firearms, but required a great deal more training to use. You had to start training longbowmen young, like about their grandfather.

The slow match used in matchlocks was flax or hemp rope soaked in saltpeter saturated water and allowed to dry. It burned at about 15 min to the inch. Of course, in a fantasy world, it could be replaced by a crystal bound with elemental fire. :D

Musketteers fired by rank, three to six, depending on rate of reload. A sergeant called the ranks up, assisted by a drummer, as after a volley or two, you were functionally deaf. Also, don't count on having night vision after your first shot. Depending upon the length of the musket, you might us a support stick, or a pair of crossed stick, as a rest, allowing you more accurate shot. Your first shot would be the most accurate, because you were able to slow load it, something you couldn't do under fire (unless you liked being charged by cavalry).

Most malfunctions would be a case of the priming charge failing to light the main charge, a flash in the pan. This could easily lead to a double load. Fouling could cause a round to hang in the barrel, forcing backblast out through the lock, possibly turning it into shrapnel.

I should point out that the developments in early firearms I've talked about cover a minimum of 350 years. Since your world has magic, you can justify some Schizo-Mys-Tech Just don't go too far.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Work from the wound effects backward. Do you need him blind? Incapacitated? Scarred? Deaf?

I've been trying, and I think what I really need is a powder explosion for what I've got planned. :) Maybe have him inspecting something improperly stored. My world is tropical/subtropical, so I should look into how the Spanish and French stored powder when they first got to the New World to see what kind of issues I'm facing.

Episode 8, "Eat, Drink, and be Merry" touches on musket developments and their formations before going on to the important part of canned goods and how they led to the Apollo moon landing. Another episode (haven't found which one yet) talks about the need to develop firearms because farming improvements meant there weren't anymore longbowmen. The longbow had superior range, penetration, and rate of fire to early firearms, but required a great deal more training to use. You had to start training longbowmen young, like about their grandfather.

Talking with you is reminding me off all the stuff my father taught me when I was a kid. (He thought history of battle and weapons great stuff for a six year old. :D) I can't believe how much I'd forgotten!

The slow match used in matchlocks was flax or hemp rope soaked in saltpeter saturated water and allowed to dry. It burned at about 15 min to the inch. Of course, in a fantasy world, it could be replaced by a crystal bound with elemental fire. :D

Musketteers fired by rank, three to six, depending on rate of reload. A sergeant called the ranks up, assisted by a drummer, as after a volley or two, you were functionally deaf. Also, don't count on having night vision after your first shot. Depending upon the length of the musket, you might us a support stick, or a pair of crossed stick, as a rest, allowing you more accurate shot. Your first shot would be the most accurate, because you were able to slow load it, something you couldn't do under fire (unless you liked being charged by cavalry).

Most malfunctions would be a case of the priming charge failing to light the main charge, a flash in the pan. This could easily lead to a double load. Fouling could cause a round to hang in the barrel, forcing backblast out through the lock, possibly turning it into shrapnel.

I got that part right! :yessmiley I'm a Civil War junkie, so I'm more familiar with the later strategies and how they organized then, but that's three hundred years past where my book is at. Good to know the basic unit is essentially the same. I've always wondered that they didn't work on ear protection, since the pain and ringing had to last for days.

I should point out that the developments in early firearms I've talked about cover a minimum of 350 years. Since your world has magic, you can justify some Schizo-Mys-Tech Just don't go too far.

Oh Lordy. :roll: That...that...is an abomination. I don't have any magic in my fantasy world. (I'm sure they'll revoke my Fantasy license any second now.) So everything has to follow a logical and plausible progression. No mana boosts for my engineers. They're at the technological cusp where firearms would be the next natural innovation, but pushing them over it and into more modern warfare is a tremendous amount of work. :D

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying, and I think what I really need is a powder explosion for what I've got planned. :) Maybe have him inspecting something improperly stored. My world is tropical/subtropical, so I should look into how the Spanish and French stored powder when they first got to the New World to see what kind of issues I'm facing.

Gunpowder absorbs moisture, so a hangfire is most likely. The powder burns slowly so it doesn't force the round out the barrel.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Gunpowder absorbs moisture, so a hangfire is most likely. The powder burns slowly so it doesn't force the round out the barrel.

So I'm going to have a lot of people pointing things at each other with nothing happening before they learn proper storage. That'll confuse the hell out of them. :D

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm going to have a lot of people pointing things at each other with nothing happening before they learn proper storage. That'll confuse the hell out of them. :D

Historical development went like this:

Arrows with M-80s.

Arrows with fireworks.

Lots of arrows with fireworks :D

Roman candles, on a stick.

Roman candles with shrapnel pre-mixed in, on a stick.

Roman candles with a bullet, on a stick.

Hand gonne.

Early musket.

There are asides and steps in development this skips so don't cut yourself on the rough edges.

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
The advent of explosive technology and firearms has been roundly, and quite adequately, covered. I shall cover the blindness for you.
You can have the shrapnel and all that you wish as much as you wish, but you also are overlooking one aspect of concussion from a blast.
Concussion induced blindness. I've had it happen, and my wife also, when she was younger and involved in a car wreck.
The concussion she received rendered her blind for about a day.
The length of time can vary.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Historical development went like this:

[SNIP]

There are asides and steps in development this skips so don't cut yourself on the rough edges.

:D

They are at the handgonne, so I'm trying to get them to Early Musket Era. Even still, it seems like such a leap. :eek:

ETA: just finished watching that video. Awesome!!

The advent of explosive technology and firearms has been roundly, and quite adequately, covered. I shall cover the blindness for you.
You can have the shrapnel and all that you wish as much as you wish, but you also are overlooking one aspect of concussion from a blast.
Concussion induced blindness. I've had it happen, and my wife also, when she was younger and involved in a car wreck.
The concussion she received rendered her blind for about a day.
The length of time can vary.

I'm aiming to permanently blind my MC by doing this (plot reasons), so he's not going to be able to tell the difference, unfortunately. I have thought of inducing cortical blindness by having him thrown back by the blast and smacking his head against something. Just haven't quite settled on the type and extent of his vision loss.

Last edited:

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Apropos of not much, a friend of mine has what at first glance is an odd tattoo, consisting of several greenish dots in a seemingly random pattern across the upper right side of his face. It's actually a powder burn from his re-enacting days. Hot sparks are definitely capable of jumping out of the pan and into the face.

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
They are at the handgonne, so I'm trying to get them to Early Musket Era. Even still, it seems like such a leap. :eek:

Early cannonlock firearms, such as the hand gonne or arquebus were mounted at the end of a wooden pole, like a fire-lance (Roman candle, on a stick). Most illustrations show the pole tucked under the firer’s arm. It’s understandably difficult to aim such a weapon.

By about 1450, gunsmiths adopted the curved stock to brace firearms against the shoulder. This gave rise to muskets, rifles, and other long arms. Long arms were awkward on horseback; cavalrymen needed a hand free to hold the reins. The pistol grip – developed sometime before 1520 – made this possible, and cavalrymen took to carrying pairs of pistols, on their horses it should be pointed out. Pistol grips were often heavy, enabling pistols to function as improvised maces after firing.

Individuals could and did make a difference. Gustavus Adolphus the Great, King of Sweden, wrote the book on musket loading, literately; gave us medieval combined arms; standardized cannon and musket calibers (well, to the limits of available technology); developed the paper cartridge; and reworked tactics to generally allow the Swedish army to kick ass in the Thirty-Year War.

Speaking of cannon, that's actually the name for one size of large gun. Other names were (deep breadth): rabinet, serpentine, falconet, falcon, minion, saker, culverin bastard, demiculverin, basilisk, culverin, pedrero, demicannon, bastard cannon, cannon serpentine, and cannon royal (whew). And those were just the English names. Early cannon, or bombards, were cast by bell makers in bronze (and looked like bells). They were largely immobile and fired difficult to manufacture stone shot. That shape gave way to cannon barrels, as in metal staves bound by iron hoops barrels.

By the early 16th century, armorers had worked out the best way to make a big gun with the resources they commanded: a single piece cast from bronze, muzzle-loaded, firing an iron ball. These weapons still used serpentine powder; early corned powder was uneven in quality and burned too fast for safety. These early cannon still weren't very mobile. Many were mounted on ships or on city walls. Others battered the defenses of besieged cities. Artillery forces hauled their guns about on large carts.

In the 1500s, big guns became more mobile. Ships’ guns were mounted on carriages; thus, the barrel could be thrust out through a gun port to fire, and the weapon’s recoil would carry it back into the ship for reloading. In the 1600s, Gustavus Adolphus ('member him) developed field artillery, designed to be towed on the battlefield by draft animals. These weapons were cannon in the modern sense.

The 3-lb. model is designed for regimental support; the 12-lb. gun supports larger forces in the field; the 24-lb. weapon is reserved for defending fortifications. Restriction to three standard sizes greatly simplifies problems of supply. These cannon have thinner walls of iron and slightly shorter barrels than older models, making them lighter; in addition, they’re designed to be placed on field carriages.

Iron balls were the standard load, but there were others. Chain shot was designed to bring down an enemy ship’s mast, rigging, or sails (and any unlucky sailors). Two sub-caliber balls are linked by a yard or two of metal chain. Grape shot was primarily for antipersonnel use. This consists of half-inch-diameter iron balls sewn into a canvas bag. Firing this into advancing infantry would be devastating. Heated shot was just evil. Cannonballs heated red-hot on a fire. They can only be used with powder in a cloth bag, which won’t be touched off by the ball’s heat; it’s customary to add an empty bag and put a layer of clay between powder and ball. It increased the load time, required extra crew, and was still more likely to fire prematurely, but it could set fire to enemy ships and equipment, and if hit their powder store... It could cause a bad day. Exploding balls were possible, but the fusing was tricky. You wanted enough slow fuse so they exploded just above ground and rained shrapnel. One second to long and they buried themselves, throwing up clods of dirt, One second to short, and they exploded to far above ground to be effective.

The landmine was a Chinese invention described in a 14th-century military text: a 9’ length of bamboo buried upright in earth, the bottom 80% filled with black powder and the rest with lead balls. Stepping on it releases a weight whose fall powers a wheellock device, setting off sparks that ignite the powder. The soil channels the blast upward. A petard was a Renaissance invention for forcing an entrance through a strong door or gate. Its name is a crude military joke, from the French péter,“to fart.” It consists of an iron pot that holds 5 lbs. of black powder, mounted in a board that can be nailed to a door to hold the pot’s mouth against the barrier. Interestingly, the Marines still use a version of this, upgraded to a industrial sized food can, det-cord, bagged water, and duck tape. Guess the idea ain't broke (unlike the doors).:tongue

This about exhausts my knowledge of the subject. I hope it help your story (and sales!)

Edit: 100th post!

Last edited:

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Apropos of not much, a friend of mine has what at first glance is an odd tattoo, consisting of several greenish dots in a seemingly random pattern across the upper right side of his face. It's actually a powder burn from his re-enacting days. Hot sparks are definitely capable of jumping out of the pan and into the face.

Your timing was absolutely perfect with this. I was wondering last night what sort of discoloration the burns might cause! :D

This about exhausts my knowledge of the subject. I hope it help your story (and sales!)

Edit: 100th post!

You have helped so enormously and thoroughly that everything concerning firearms will be owed to you in one way or another. Congrats on your 100[SUP]th[/SUP] post!

NeuroGlide

Registered
Reaction score
You have helped so enormously and thoroughly that everything concerning firearms will be owed to you in one way or another. Congrats on your 100[SUP]th[/SUP] post!

I've been thinking about that hangfire. If they already have fireworks, then they should understand how to pack gunpowder to keep it dry. It might even have accelerated the development of corned powder as they tried to recycle caked powder. Butttt.... As early corned powder was unreliable (burned too fast, overpressured the cannon) it could easily cause the cannon to consume itself, especially if it's a early wrought iron design. If you're not married to it being a rifle accident, it's very plausible.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
If you're not married to it being a rifle accident, it's very plausible.

Definitely sounds like a good option. I'm still plotting it out (this is in Next Book), but I'm leaning towards either that or a mishap with storage of some sort, because I know this happens during an inspection and not on a battle field. :idea:

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
Another episode (haven't found which one yet) talks about the need to develop firearms because farming improvements meant there weren't anymore longbowmen. The longbow had superior range, penetration, and rate of fire to early firearms, but required a great deal more training to use. You had to start training longbowmen young, like about their grandfather.

Fascinating thread.

I'm curious - what sorts of farming improvements created the need for firearms?

One would think improvements would make MORE time for training with the longbow. But technology works in funny ways some times.

(I'd watch the videos, but my comp has an overheating problem and dislikes video/youtube at the moment. :( )

benluby

Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating thread.

I'm curious - what sorts of farming improvements created the need for firearms?

One would think improvements would make MORE time for training with the longbow. But technology works in funny ways some times.

(I'd watch the videos, but my comp has an overheating problem and dislikes video/youtube at the moment. :( )

Part of the original reason for the advent of firearms was a way for unskilled combatants to take down knights in their armor. It had nothing to do with farming implements, and was really a way to take away the advantage of armor.