• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

dialogue tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am editing the dialogues in my WIP to eradicate all the unnecessary tags. I am not sure about what to do with this one. The MCs are recalling an ice skating and bowling trip. Any ideas?

[FONT=&quot] ‘That didn’t stop you squealing when I spun you around!’ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘That was so much fun! I'm glad you didn’t let go, I would have probably swept everyone off in my wake.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Maybe I should have, you were useless with the pins!’ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically.[/FONT]

Any ideas?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a little hard to say without knowing what goes before this. It's pretty clear who is speaking in this. You might add one tag just to help the reader.

One idea, assuming the reader know who is speaking at the beginning:

[FONT=&quot]‘That didn’t stop you squealing when I spun you around!’ [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]‘That was so much fun! I'm glad you didn’t let go, I would have probably swept everyone off in my wake.’

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]‘Maybe I should have," I (or the character's name if this is third-person) said. "You were useless with the pins!’

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically. [I would remove she laughs sarcastically and let the dialogue carry the tone.]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically. [I would remove she laughs sarcastically and let the dialogue carry the tone.] [/FONT][/SIZE]

x2 that. Adverbs in dialogue tags make me cringe. You can write in a sarcastic comment instead of sarcastic laughter, or with it, to get that point across.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am editing the dialogues in my WIP to eradicate all the unnecessary tags. I am not sure about what to do with this one. The MCs are recalling an ice skating and bowling trip. Any ideas?

[FONT=&quot]‘That didn’t stop you squealing when I spun you around!’ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘That was so much fun! I'm glad you didn’t let go, I would have probably swept everyone off in my wake.’[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Maybe I should have, you were useless with the pins!’ [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically.[/FONT]

Any ideas?

The verb/adverb tag there is explaining her sarcasm to the reader, which is something you want to avoid. If you want to communicate the idea that she's using sarcasm, maybe write it like this:

"Ha, ha."

Beyond that, I hope you haven't eliminated so many tags that it's hard to tell who's speaking.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Without context, it's difficult to determine, but the first three lines of dialogue seem fine to me.

In the fourth, there's no need to use laughs as a dialogue tag. The sarcastically isn't necessary either. The many explanation points also worry me. Explanation points are like spices. A little bit can add a lot. Put too much in and no one will want to eat the food. You don't necessarily have to cut those exclamation points. Just watch to see if there's a pattern.

If you really feel you need to convey the sarcasm, you could try something like: "Ha, ha," she says, rolling her eyes. Granted, I don't know whose point of view this is in, so that might not work in your situation.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are these two people just standing still, facing one another during this conversation, or are they doing something else? One way to get around the dialogue tag situation is to have your characters do something while they are talking, even if it is just walking. One can jab the other in the ribs to accompany a snide comment, or give a punch in the arm to make a point. They could be rolling fat ones, or they could be checking out in a supermarket. When there is some action mixed with the dialogue, it allows a smooth indication of who is talking without having to rely on an overabundance of tags. It also avoids talking heads syndrome or the equally dreaded twitching heads syndrome (when the action chosen is restricted to a series of facial twitches [grins, grimaces and the like] and head and shoulder movements).

Last edited:

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the removal of 'she laughs sarcastically'.

Perhaps if you haven't mentioned character names for a little bit you could give the reader a reminder prompt of who is talking by including a name in the conversation. Eg.

"Ha ha {other person's name}. You're hilarious."

That would also show the response was sarcasm rather than genuine laughter without the need to spell it out.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
A secret to needing very few dialog tags, is keeping character to their own paragraphs. Then you can use beats and interior monologue to portray who's speaking. You'll hardly ever use 'said', that way, unless there are three or more character, and even then, beats and clever formatting can be often used.

Why'd he have to be such an idiot? She shook her head, and grabbed Dan by the shoulders. "Well, where'd he go?"

"I don't know."

Rex walked up to them. "He went to find his horse."

Great. They should have left already, and he was looking for a probably-dead horse? This night was getting better and better by the hour. She strode to her car, and started to get in.

"Wait," Dan said. "Here he comes."

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
‘That didn’t stop you squealing when I spun you around!’
‘That was so much fun! I'm glad you didn’t let go, I would have probably swept everyone off in my wake.’
‘Maybe I should have, you were useless with the pins!’
‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically.

Three reasons you don't want "she laughs sarcastically."

1. It's not a dialogue tag.
2. It's not needed.
3. I don't think sarcasm is what you were going for.

Also, lose all four exclamation points. They're unnecessary. And you have two comma splices, which I bolded. Make them all separate sentences.

Last edited:

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I try to replace obnoxious tags with text that sort of anchors what was just said to one character. So it's sort of a tag... but not?

Like for instance:

"I've been sick over the past three or four days. You'd been sick recently as well, hadn't you? Did the issue resolve without anitbiotics?" I asked.

"Ohhhh, I don't know there, kiddo. I've got two toddlers at home. I can never tell if I'm still sick or just sick again." he laughed.

"I would hate to go to the doctor if it weren't necessary."

"You could just do what I do and order antibiotics off amazon." he chuckled.

OBNOXIOUS, RIGHT? HOLY FUCKING GARBAGE TRUCKS OF OBNOXIOUS, BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT.

Here's how I fix it. Bare in mind, I expect this to be wrong as I am a n00b.

"I've been sick over the past three or four days. You'd been sick recently as well, hadn't you? Did the issue resolve without anitbiotics?" I could tell that Brian was considering the question with unnecessary scrutiny as he compulsively rolled the ends of his hair between his fingers.

"Ohhhh, I don't know there, kiddo. I've got two toddlers at home. I can never tell if I'm still sick or just sick again." He didn't look at me as he spoke, instead he remained hunched over his computer the way a hungry cat might hunch over a mouse.

"I would hate to go to the doctor if it weren't necessary." I wasn't entirely sure he was still listening to me. His fingers danced along the screen in front of him.

"You could just do what I do and order antibiotics off amazon." I never could tell if Brian was a sociopath or just a man with a very quirky sense of humor.

So yes.
That's my dumb scheme.
DID IT WORK?

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of the, 'laughs sarcastically,' why not change the dialogue to, say, "Ha. Ha."

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I try to replace obnoxious tags with text that sort of anchors what was just said to one character. So it's sort of a tag... but not?

Like for instance:

"I've been sick over the past three or four days. You'd been sick recently as well, hadn't you? Did the issue resolve without anitbiotics?" I asked.

"Ohhhh, I don't know there, kiddo. I've got two toddlers at home. I can never tell if I'm still sick or just sick again." he laughed.

"I would hate to go to the doctor if it weren't necessary."

"You could just do what I do and order antibiotics off amazon." he chuckled.

OBNOXIOUS, RIGHT? HOLY FUCKING GARBAGE TRUCKS OF OBNOXIOUS, BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT.

Here's how I fix it. Bare in mind, I expect this to be wrong as I am a n00b.

"I've been sick over the past three or four days. You'd been sick recently as well, hadn't you? Did the issue resolve without anitbiotics?" I could tell that Brian was considering the question with unnecessary scrutiny as he compulsively rolled the ends of his hair between his fingers.

"Ohhhh, I don't know there, kiddo. I've got two toddlers at home. I can never tell if I'm still sick or just sick again." He didn't look at me as he spoke, instead he remained hunched over his computer the way a hungry cat might hunch over a mouse.

"I would hate to go to the doctor if it weren't necessary." I wasn't entirely sure he was still listening to me. His fingers danced along the screen in front of him.

"You could just do what I do and order antibiotics off amazon." I never could tell if Brian was a sociopath or just a man with a very quirky sense of humor.

So yes.
That's my dumb scheme.
DID IT WORK?

Are your examples backward? The first seems to be the fixed version?

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Are your examples backward? The first seems to be the fixed version?
Nah. I suppose it's still a tag, it's just of the less obnoxious variety.

When I read "he said, she said," even when followed by something else it makes me want to scream. It just sounds awful. It reads awful. It is awful.

I guess my thought it that there are ways to make "tags" that don't give you stomach ulcers. I don't usually use them after every quote like that, I'm having fun with it here.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]‘Maybe I should have," I (or the character's name if this is third-person) said. "You were useless with the pins!’

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]‘Ha ha!’ she laughs sarcastically. [I would remove she laughs sarcastically and let the dialogue carry the tone.]
[/FONT]

Thank you alleycat, in my research this morning, I noticed that inserting the tag early on in the line of dialogue feels the least intrusive to me as I read. I shall use this here, and in many other places, I am sure.

x2 that. Adverbs in dialogue tags make me cringe. You can write in a sarcastic comment instead of sarcastic laughter, or with it, to get that point across.

and

Instead of the, 'laughs sarcastically,' why not change the dialogue to, say, "Ha. Ha."
That was what worried me, I hate it too, but was worried the 'ah ah' didn't convey the irony well enough on its own.

The verb/adverb tag there is explaining her sarcasm to the reader, which is something you want to avoid. If you want to communicate the idea that she's using sarcasm, maybe write it like this:

"Ha, ha."

Beyond that, I hope you haven't eliminated so many tags that it's hard to tell who's speaking.

I am working on making the balance right. I just hate strings of 'he said' 'she said', I have read far too many 19th century novels! I have a very unfashionable love for creative tags, which I am pummeling out of my writing!

The many explanation points also worry me. Explanation points are like spices. A little bit can add a lot. Put too much in and no one will want to eat the food. You don't necessarily have to cut those exclamation points. Just watch to see if there's a pattern.

If you really feel you need to convey the sarcasm, you could try something like: "Ha, ha," she says, rolling her eyes. Granted, I don't know whose point of view this is in, so that might not work in your situation.

!!! are a weakness of mine indeed, so I am checking them out, but obviously, I am still missing out on eradicating them.

I really like your suggestion of 'rolling eyes', I very likely will be using it. Thank you!

Are these two people just standing still, facing one another during this conversation, or are they doing something else? One way to get around the dialogue tag situation is to have your characters do something while they are talking... When there is some action mixed with the dialogue, it allows a smooth indication of who is talking without having to rely on an overabundance of tags. It also avoids talking heads syndrome or the equally dreaded twitching heads syndrome (when the action chosen is restricted to a series of facial twitches [grins, grimaces and the like] and head and shoulder movements).

''Ah ah''
Yep, I so get what you mean. My writing has too many instances of talking heads. I have reworked a whole scene sparingly adding action tags to help both keeping tracks of who speaks, but also setting the scene and adding character through how and what the MCs do, but as most of their talks take place in the kitchen, when they are either cooking or just chatting, I am really worried about making it all too repetitive. That's going to be a challenge.

"Ha ha {other person's name}. You're hilarious."

thank you, another good one!

You'll hardly ever use 'said', that way, unless there are three or more character, and even then, beats and clever formatting can be often used.

'said' is exactly what I want to avoid using,I hate strings of them, even the thought makes me shiver!

Also, lose all four exclamation points. They're unnecessary. And you have two comma splices, which I bolded. Make them all separate sentences.

I think that comma splices are ok in dialogues to make the flow more speech like. Though I agree with you, in narrative, it would be a no no.

That's what I am trying to do, though maybe in your example, you have too many, and it breaks the flow of the dialogue ;-)

Thank you so very much, everyone, off I go to do more dialogue edits!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Three reasons you don't want "she laughs sarcastically."

1. It's not a dialogue tag.
2. It's not needed.
3. I don't think sarcasm is what you were going for.

All good advice, except for the bit about the comma splices, which are acceptable in dialogue if you want to convey a run-on or breathless feeling to it.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
It's not what the thread's about, but I just gotta say it...

Try not to info-dump in dialogue either. It's (generally) not the way people talk unless...

You're trying to explain something to somebody*, and that does happen. In fiction and in real life.

Sorry if I'm out of order here.

(*But not the reader. Do not use dialogue to convey wads of info to the reader.)

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
All good advice, except for the bit about the comma splices, which are acceptable in dialogue if you want to convey a run-on or breathless feeling to it.

But I see nothing "breathless" about this conversation. Comma splices can work in dialogue when really necessary and when handled with great skill, but you risk getting the opposite effect of what you want to achieve. If the reader is brought up short by unconventional punctuation, the attempt at a "breathless" passage is defeated.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I detest it when a writer uses "ha, ha" to represent laughter. No one ever sounds like this, and when people do say "ha, ha" they're being sarcastic. "Ha, ha" is sarcastic, but it isn't a laugh, it's words we say.

Just write, "ha, has", she said, , and leave it at that.

Or leave out the "ha, ha", and write "She laughed sarcastically."

There's nothing wrong with an adverb when you need one, and this one is not a dialogue tag.

As for dialogue tags, they are used to let the reader know who's speaking, but they are also used for rhythm and flow. Many sentence simply read better if you insert a dialogue tag in the middle for rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.