Groups or cults that believe the Earth was all there is in the universe

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for information on groups or cults that believe in a geocentric view, i.e. that the Earth is all there is and space is empty.

In my story there is a geocentric cult that runs the Earth, I need to find a suitable name for such an organisation. I'm aware of the historical stance the Church held on such matters but can anyone point me to other sources I could look into?

Thanks in advance.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure there was ever a cult that believed space is empty. The Moon has always been there.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Doesnt seem like the kind of belief people could get cultishly passionate about.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I know. It was pretty much the general belief for centuries that the Earth was the centre of the Universe.

It's more likely to be a cult belief now than at any other time, I think.

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't really mean empty, just that space is only 'full of rocks' and holds no interest or needs exploring. The basic premise is that the cult-like Elite who control the world are aware of an Artefact in space that has the power to free the slave population. Over the centuries they have implemented a geocentric view in the aim to prevent this Artefact ever being found. Maybe I need to have a rethink.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There are people who still believe that the Earth is surrounded by the "firmament" that holds back the waters above, etc.

If you look, then you will find people who believe the Ptolemaic universe is the truth, and that model of the universe might worl for you.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't really mean empty, just that space is only 'full of rocks' and holds no interest or needs exploring. The basic premise is that the cult-like Elite who control the world are aware of an Artefact in space that has the power to free the slave population. Over the centuries they have implemented a geocentric view in the aim to prevent this Artefact ever being found. Maybe I need to have a rethink.

Ah I see. I think that would work for your story as long as you make it internally coherent.

After all, people have believed some damn stupid stuff in the past. And still do.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it would be easier to come up with a taboo against it than a lack of interest. But in any case why would a group not interested in space develop space going vehicle?

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to come up with a taboo against it than a lack of interest. But in any case why would a group not interested in space develop space going vehicle?

There is a mining industry in the inner solar system, it's controlled by machines and drones. I may also have a manned base on the moon. Like I said I might need to rethink!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I find it helpful to tell people here who will then pick it apart and show you where the logic fails.

More than one pair of eyes is often good

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A recent survey of Americans finds that approx 1/4 didn't know the earth revolves around the sun. A large % of people (not all of them stupid or ignorant) think that space exploration is a waste of money & effort that would be better spent at home. I would not find it at all implausible as a cultural norm.

The name of your not-at-all-interested-in-space cult, in other words, is "normal people."

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There are people who still believe that the Earth is surrounded by the "firmament" that holds back the waters above, etc.

If you look, then you will find people who believe the Ptolemaic universe is the truth, and that model of the universe might worl for you.
If it's the flat earth society you're talking about then they're wrong about even that. The Ptolemaic universe includes a spherical Earth.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen that forum before. I'm convinced the whole Flat Earth Society thing is an elaborate, high-concept troll.

It is, isn't it?

Please tell me it is.

They started long before the internet did. I remember hearing about them when I was a kid in the 70s

Realspiritik

Realspiritik
Registered
Reaction score
A recent survey of Americans finds that approx 1/4 didn't know the earth revolves around the sun. A large % of people (not all of them stupid or ignorant) think that space exploration is a waste of money & effort that would be better spent at home. I would not find it at all implausible as a cultural norm.

The name of your not-at-all-interested-in-space cult, in other words, is "normal people."

This is a good point. I've been slogging my way through a Masters in theological studies as a (cough) mature student, but before that my training was in hard sciences. The gap between science and religion (though not between science and faith) is so wide you could throw the whole planet in there and still have room to spare for Artefacts, moon bases, and deep space mining.

I don't think you have to go very far to find your cult.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen that forum before. I'm convinced the whole Flat Earth Society thing is an elaborate, high-concept troll.

It is, isn't it?

Please tell me it is.

I didn't look that carefully, but there appear to be quite a few people and a range of opinions. I have met Flat Earthers, and some of them are serious, but I am sure that many spend half their tie laughing.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
If it's the flat earth society you're talking about then they're wrong about even that. The Ptolemaic universe includes a spherical Earth.

No, that was not in reference to the Flat Earthers.

I have found that I can't dream up silly or ideas or conspiracies that are not already seriously espoused by some people.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't look that carefully, but there appear to be quite a few people and a range of opinions. I have met Flat Earthers, and some of them are serious, but I am sure that many spend half their tie laughing.

The chief moderator of that forum is a little too obvious. He/she needs to be slightly more subtle to maintain the illusion. The Pope vs. Hitler sig pic is just too much.

I don't doubt some of them are genuine, though.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
There really is not one damn stupid idea that won't have believers. The human capacity for gullibility is amazing.