• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

How successful have you been at finding a beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm honestly curious at how well it goes for those who post here looking. Did you find a beta? Multiple betas? No betas? Did the people you found work out?

Did you have better luck asking specific people, or is it best just to put out a general call and hope someone takes interest?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
My advice is that if you have someone in mind who you'd like to give your work a look, go ahead and ask. Myself, I just got very lucky. I was too insecure to ask anyone, but that's a fault I hope you do not suffer from.

Yes, both worked out very well.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've done pretty well. I ask at the boards where I'm a regular, and I put it in my signature so people who might be interested can ask more about the work.

I think last time I sought a beta I had eight or nine. Most of them gave me feedback I put to good use, too.

I do see a lot of people without any AW presence asking for beta readers and receiving few replies. Of course, it's possible willing readers are sending them PMs which are the first step of successful beta reads.

But it seems more likely you'd get betas if you're someone who makes regular appearances at your genre's board.

Maryn, who doesn't beta often

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
What helps immensely is when a person seeking betas summarizes what their book is about, and then posts a first page with their beta request. Then I can decide if their story and style would be fun to work with or not. Without that summary, and first page, I probably won't inquire further, and go on to another beta request.

Oh, and post count. I put a lot of time and thought in my beta work. If the person hasn't made a few posts here, and shown that they are a regular, reliable contributing member of this community, I'm not gonna bit.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
With my first book, I asked for Betas here on AW, and received a couple--who were wonderful.

My next book is kind of niche about healing from abuse, from a Christian POV. I decided it might be better to appeal to my blog readers, I know they are interested in the topic and my style of writing. So I asked on FB, and was very pleased when I got offers very quickly. (Phew! If my blog readers showed no interest in my book, that would be a very bad sign! :)) That too has been a great experience.

I also swapped books with a fellow AWer, and that was great.

So, yes, all my Beta experiences have been positive.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm honestly curious at how well it goes for those who post here looking. Did you find a beta? Multiple betas? No betas? Did the people you found work out?

Did you have better luck asking specific people, or is it best just to put out a general call and hope someone takes interest?

I haven't posted in this forum looking for betas, but I did post on the Willing Betas thread offering to beta, and I got a few requests from there. I had two bad experiences and one amazeballs one (we're still each other's betas now, and she helps me brainstorm on my WIP when I'm stuck), but the good experience came from someone I'd noticed on other threads and have interacted with beforehand. After that, I kind of lost faith in betaing for complete strangers and have turned most requests from unfamiliar names away. :D

I had the most luck asking people I've interacted with numerous times. I think I found most of my betas on QLH. I know their critique style, they know mine, so we know what to expect from one another. After shooting PMs back and forth a few times, it was quite natural to then offer them a beta read or ask for one.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had a couple of PM's on my request and I'm really new to the site and I've pm'd a couple of people. Can't say if they've worked out yet though.

I have tried ohhh maybe 10 on another site and politely declined 7, out of the 3 remaining, 1 worked out and is amazing!

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have put out "open calls" twice, I think.

The first was immediately after I joined, before I knew anyone and anyone knew me, when I didn't know anything about self-editing, when I had no idea how much I didn't know. I got responses, but quickly lost contact, and not much came of that particular "open call." Rightfully so, I think. My MS sucked butt.

The second time was maybe last year sometime (I can't remember), after I'd been around, people had seen me, I'd interacted, worked my butt sore to improve, been present wherever I felt I could be, critted, beta'd, had pieces in SYW, etc. I got several responses from people who knew me, who I knew also, who I'd interacted with, who gave me thorough and fantastic critiques. People who I might have asked to beta directly if I wasn't such a wuss.

A lot of it is about trust and familiarity. I have offered to beta for people on blind (or near-blind) whims, because I do have these lovely flashes of whimsy, but it's rare. A bit like blind dating, I guess. ;)

Last edited:

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I've never asked people specifically. I'm too much of a chicken for that sort of bravery. I have posted on this board here. I get mediocre responses (not the people, but the number of people). I'll be posting again soon, but I'm going to change up my strategy this time.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I've searched through these threads as a beta reader and gotten in touch with 2 people who I'd like to beta for. One had a manuscript that wasn't ready for the beta stage so I sent it back. The other said they were excited to send me something and then dropped off the face of the earth.

When I needed a beta I didn't ask in this section of the forum. I hang out in the Coffee Shop thread a lot, so I posted there because those people know me really well. I basically apologized for being so off topic, but said I was looking for a beta reader. Got a response right away from someone I already knew. He did great on my piece. I was so happy with the job. :) If you have a spot you like to hang out on these forums, ask there. If you're brave enough to approach people directly, do that as well.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I lucked out with my first serious book because AW was running The Beta Project, and everyone who critted my first pages asked to beta my book.

By now, I have enough of a presence that I'll usually get some requests to beta based on people reading my query or hearing me talk about my book. I can usually get 4-8 betas per book.

Status
Not open for further replies.