Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
I recently published a book which features a lot of photography. On some pages, I used a format where the left page is one large single image and then the page on the opposite side talks about the imagery. I just came across this page which was a little concerning as it appears that the Kindle file format only supports images of up to 127KB in size.

Just checked my initial conversion and there were 48 images that exceeded this size. It also doesn't like aligned images, it seems they want them on their own line pretty much as they don't support left or right alignment.

Looks like its going to be a lot of work to convert this title into a Kindle friendly format. (Im guessing this is also why the automated conversion failed).

I am condense down some of the full page images and compress them more. I guess that's my only choice. Are there any other gotcha's to working with images on Kindle?

Are other eBook formats going to be this picky?

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
There is no 'left page' and 'right page' on an ereader. You really need to rethink your layout completely for the different format.
Yes I understand that, but there still is left and right. I was surprised you couldn't align images in such a manner to float them to one side or another.

There isn't too many of those that I have to work out though, I will either condense them all into a single header image or make them into an image that spans the page width. Either way yes I am going to be reworking layout in order to simplify it for multiple screen / ebook formats.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Yes I understand that, but there still is left and right.

Sort of - some ereaders will split the page into a booklike two pages if you turn to landscape mode - tablet ones, essentially - but what goes on the left or right page is almost entirely dependent on user settings like font size.

I was surprised you couldn't align images in such a manner to float them to one side or another.

Yeah, you have to start thinking of EPUB as a stack of text boxes and images. Text won't flow round images unless you use iBooks Author, really, and that only works on iPads.

There isn't too many of those that I have to work out though, I will either condense them all into a single header image or make them into an image that spans the page width. Either way yes I am going to be reworking layout in order to simplify it for multiple screen / ebook formats.

Sounds like a plan!

mcsolas

Aspiring writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
powerfoodkitchen.com
I realize especially as screen sizes get smaller that images that span the whole width are really the answer. Even if the iBA app you mention helps, since it will only work on iPads thats a little much, since I am already going to be stressing keeping two versions of this book around as I plan to write a 2nd edition to this project at some point... ideally I would like to have 1 digital version, not two or more (an iPad and a Kindle version for instance). Given that, I will likely be modifying my approach as already mentioned. I will also be formatting future print versions of my books to follow this format as well, just for simpler conversion.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.