PDA

View Full Version : Goals for February and goals to August

Brother G
02-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Started this month out with six stories finished and aimed to have fifteen done by the end of the month. That's looking fairly decent with another two done and one more needing just a few paragraphs despite all of the ruckus that went on in the first half of the month, and now that the rest of the month is free I think, based on my usual writing speed, that I'll have eighteen stories total by the end of the month.

Hope to have sixty short stories written (for the market) by the end of August, plus however many I end up writing for my blog and putting out there for free.

Oh! And a poem of mine was accepted by Tales of the Talisman! First accepted submission ever! Hurrah.

Canton
02-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Oh! And a poem of mine was accepted by Tales of the Talisman! First accepted submission ever! Hurrah.

Major big deal there. So awesome to have a submission be accepted. :partyguy: Also, the progress you've made to your writing goals, it's nice to see isn't it? Congratulations.

jorodo
02-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Wow, my head is swimming just hearing '60 done by august' good for you!

What genre do you write in?

Siri Kirpal
02-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good for you, and best of luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Brother G
02-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Wow, my head is swimming just hearing '60 done by august' good for you!

Keep in mind most of them are going to be between 2,000-4,000 words. They're not epics by any stretch of the imagination.

What genre do you write in?

Well, out of the nine stories that I have finished so far, one is urban fantasy, one is scifi, and all of them are horror to one degree or another (though the urban fantasy is more film noir) with four of them being tied to Lovecraft's Mythos. And the next nine are all tied to Mythos stories.

Which is totally not what I was expecting my writing to turn into back when I ended my poetry phase and returned to prose (for about two years of my life I didn't have the time or writing resources to do prose, so I went into poetry to compensate). I don't think that the heavy slant to horror and Lovecraft in particular will stick, either. Now that I've had more time for them to simmer I'm starting to develop some more intricate fantasy and scifi ideas that I can manage as short stories.

One of the biggest reasons for the horror kick is that my approach, which I've been told is very New Zealand ghost story (kind of a cross between horror and slice of life: rarely any "punch line" and almost never any ultimate explanation of what the freak you just experienced), lends itself well to shortform and my scifi/fantasy... doesn't.

Though I'm working on solving that here and there, mostly with stories that explore the corners of my bigger worlds. The urban fantasy story started off like that, trying to figure out what was happening to a different story's protagonist's not-quite-sibling, and now that it's done I can see another short story coming out of that, a prequel to the prequel, wherein the Fenriswolf hunts down an unpublished Sherlock Holmes story that the world at large never knew about.

And I think I'm going on for too long so I'll be quiet now. :D

Phaeal
02-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Ah, a fellow in Yog-Sothoth and the Soul and Messenger of the Outer Gods, our Lord Nyarlathotep.

Good luck with your goals!