• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

A fresh voice - What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Drakich

A wanderer in the sea of publishing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeldrakich.wordpress.com
Time and again, I read in the criteria of an agent they are looking for a fresh voice. Searching here and on Google, I fail to find a reasonable definition of what exactly that means. Rather than guess, I would appreciate an explanation from someone in the know.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Right there with ya.

I feel like I have read every type of voice, so which one is considered "fresh"? One that's not written in the current popular style? One not full of purple prose?

Or maybe it's something that agents/editors say to mean they don't want what they consider more generic in style. Who knows, I would also like to know what a fresh voice is.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
One that they haven't read a million times before, would be my guess.

Use the voice your book/writing dictates and don't worry about that one. It's a "I know it when I see it" type of thing for the agent.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Content warning: not an agent, or a published author (yet!)

You know how when you turn on the radio, some bands jump out at you? You can recognise them even if you don't know the song.

They've got distinctive sounds. Sometimes it's the guitarist, sometimes it's the way they arrange things. More often than not it's the singer's voice.

Now, being distinctive doesn't mean "original", necessarily. A lot of bands fit very neatly into existing genres, use genre conventions, and sometimes even clichés. But they're still distinctive. You can tell them apart from other artists because of their voice / guitar sound / synth player / etc.

That's what I take "a fresh voice" to mean. Something that identifies your writing clearly as you.

Hope this helps...

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Fresh voice = unique voice. The one that is 100% you and not you trying to be like other writers.

At the end of the day voice is pretty much all we have to differentiate from the masses so let YOU shine through.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, a fresh voice means a new take on a novel. The agents know that all the ideas have been taken. What they want is a unique and fresh take on it, something that makes them think they haven't seen a story written this way. Think about how many novels have been written about a deadly virus. What kind of unique and fresh idea can you create that makes the agent want to read more? Plus, it's all about the delivery. When an agent reads your novel, the last thing you want them to being thinking is, "I've read something like this before". Character x will do y and z will happen. Same old same old.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
just write.....

that sounds dismissive, but I don't think you'll get a consensus on what fresh voice means or how to quantify it or how to develop it....a lot of that comes with luck and with experience. When *I* hear "fresh voice" I am thinking either they want a new take on an old story or genre (Agyar is my favorite vampire book, because of how subtle and oblique his actual vampirism is, that could be argued to fall into that particular camp) or a genuinely unique voice itself, for example a uniquely lyrical noir writer, or brutally succinct romance writer, or whatever......but again, you are probably better, imho, to write to the best of your style and ability, and hope what you have is written well enough they'll want it, than to try to artificially "fresh up" your style, because in my experience "trying too hard" shows up very readily.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
A "fresh voice" means agents are fed up with getting manuscripts that have the same basic setup again, and again, and again. Tact prevents most from saying so directly. So instead they say they are, "looking for a fresh voice." (Much nicer sounding then saying, "enough with this stale sh*t already!"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A "fresh voice" means agents are fed up with getting manuscripts that have the same basic setup again, and again, and again. Tact prevents most from saying so directly. So instead they say they are, "looking for a fresh voice." (Much nicer sounding then saying, "enough with this stale sh*t already!"

That's pretty much it.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
If I were to give everyone who has left a post a writing prompt, say write a 1500 word short story about a boy and his dog and they encounter a stream and chase fish in the stream. If I gave you all the details of the story and then told everyone to write it, everyone would have a different story and would tell it in their own way or Voice. Your voice is how you write the story. Someone might focus on the plot, while someone else would focus on the characters while someone else focuses on a style. Your writing voice is what differentiates you and me and everyone else here. It sets you apart. When a writer finally finds their voice, they are set apart and that's what they mean by 'fresh voice.' ONce you learn how to write well, then you break the rules, then you create relatable characters, then you find the cool plot while bringing in your writing voice. Does that make sense? It's basically how you write and what makes you apart from others.

When I write novels, I like getting deep into the characters' minds and I write a bit dark and heavy. You might not write so dark but get more into a different area for the character or the plot. That's voice. It's your 'mojo'.

Time and again, I read in the criteria of an agent they are looking for a fresh voice. Searching here and on Google, I fail to find a reasonable definition of what exactly that means. Rather than guess, I would appreciate an explanation from someone in the know.

Last edited:

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
The best way to find your voice is to do writing prompts, only give yourself 5 min. Set a timer and just write. Then go back and look at what you wrote. Don't let the critic in and start to tell you everything you did wrong. Also you know you've reached your voice when you feel uncomfortable with it and the inner critic tells you how stupid this is and how much everyone will laugh at you. ONce you feel vulnerable, then you've hit it. You've found your voice. Next you want to keep practicing with it and let it loose and master it. After a while, it will become a normal way of writing. Also be careful of other writers who will 'rewrite' your story b/c of the voice. Simply say, thank you!! And move on.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Are there any books you've read recently which grabbed your attention right from the start, and which kept you gripped right through to the end?

What was it about those books which caught your interest so? Because that's what agents are talking about when they say they want something fresh and new and interesting. Books which readers just have to read.

I'll move this from Ask The Agent to BWQ, where it's a better fit. Hold on!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

Which, in the end, does no writer any good.

What writer is not writing in their own voice? Why does there need to be this proclamation that only writers with fresh voices need apply?

So now, on top of everything else, writers get to tie themselves up in knots over whether their 'voice' is 'fresh' or not. Which seems to be a great travesty (and waste of energy) if that isn't even what agents really want.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

A "fresh" voice is the one that catches the agent's attention and makes her sit up and pay attention. It's the voice/story that makes her want to keep turning pages and then offer the writer a contract.

But she can't define it any more than you can. She just knows it when she sees it. And what's fresh to her may seem stale or at least uninteresting to another agent.

IOW, it can't be quantified and it can't be manufactured. So (IMO) it's a waste of time to worry about it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Which, in the end, does no writer any good.

What writer is not writing in their own voice? Why does there need to be this proclamation that only writers with fresh voices need apply?

So now, on top of everything else, writers get to tie themselves up in knots over whether their 'voice' is 'fresh' or not. Which seems to be a great travesty (and waste of energy) if that isn't even what agents really want.

It has nothing to do with whether a writer is or isn't writing in his own voice. Voice isn't something you're born with, it's something you develop, something you can, and often should, change.

It isn't now agents and editors want, a fresh voice has always been what they sought, and they've always said so. And it's what writers should try to give them. Look at the reverse, who in heck wants a stale voice?

If your writing, your story, and your characters are just same old, same old, why would anyone want it? Slush piles are filled front to back with writers who say the same old tired things in the same old tired way.

The whole point of being a writer is finding a fresh way to write, a fresh tale to tell, and fresh way to turn same old, same old into something new, different, and fresh.

Your voice is what you make it, so why not make the kind of tale you tell fresh, new, and exciting? Why not make the writing itself, and the characters, fresh, new, and exciting.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with whether a writer is or isn't writing in his own voice. Voice isn't something you're born with, it's something you develop, something you can, and often should, change.

It isn't now agents and editors want, a fresh voice has always been what they sought, and they've always said so. And it's what writers should try to give them. Look at the reverse, who in heck wants a stale voice?

If your writing, your story, and your characters are just same old, same old, why would anyone want it? Slush piles are filled front to back with writers who say the same old tired things in the same old tired way.

The whole point of being a writer is finding a fresh way to write, a fresh tale to tell, and fresh way to turn same old, same old into something new, different, and fresh.

Your voice is what you make it, so why not make the kind of tale you tell fresh, new, and exciting? Why not make the writing itself, and the characters, fresh, new, and exciting.

And my point is what writer isn't already trying to do that?

It's a useless request since clearly it's all subjective.

'Be fresh. Be original. Put a new twist on it. Don't trot out the stale.'

Has any writer ever mentioned, admitted or gone on record as saying "nah, I decided to try to write in a tired, worn-out, stale voice and repeating the same old tropes and cliches with no unique or new twist and spin on it".

I understand agents and publishers want it. It just seems ridiculous to ask for it as if it's going to thin out their slush pile by writers going 'oh, well, that agent isn't for me, then since I write stale and worn out and clearly have no voice of my own'.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
It means be an innovator rather than a regurgitator. Have your own ideas and your own perspective. Be interesting.

Your voice is nothing but the sum total of all the artistic choices you make. Every single aspect of your story reveals your voice, including why you felt the story even needed to be told in the first place. So having a fresh or interesting voice means making interesting choices as a writer, not just mimicking what's already been done. Actually having passion and a point of view and something to say beyond "I wanted to write a book, and this is it."

I think a great story should be more than just entertainment, it should be a glimpse into the author's mind. What do your stories reveal about you? If the answer is "nothing", then you probably dont have much of a voice.

Last edited:

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
ILook at the reverse, who in heck wants a stale voice?

I agree :D Sorta...

There are a bunch of stories with really flat voices. It's true that not many people set out to write in a flat voice, but a lot of us (when we started out) probably sucked hard when it came to doing it right anyway.

I think most of the flatness can be fixed by using basic description techniques like choosing punchy metaphors, active verbs and active descriptions, etc. (even if you're using your natural voice, rather than a narrator's).

I don't think having a "fresh" voice is a necessity, and as with everything said by agents and editors there's always a lot of exaggeration involved ("I have to fall in love with it", etc.) to get people to actually address the topic.

Tends to put a lot more pressure on the ones who are actively trying to see what secrets they can glean to improve their chances, because they tend to take it literally (or near enough to not make much difference).

Last edited:

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
I think agents that are looking for a fresh voice are looking for an MC with personality, simply put. Characters that are bursting with life that they become real to the reader. You know how sometimes you read a book and you enjoy it well enough but it doesn't necessarily grip you the way other books do. Those ones that really pull you in more than likely do so with the voice rather than the actual story itself. I think agents looking for this want to be wowed by the voice and writing style specifically so much so that the plot is just an afterthought when they are done reading.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tends to put a lot more pressure on the ones who are actively trying to see what secrets they can glean to improve their chances, because they tend to take it literally (or near enough to not make much difference).

Exactly. I get the agents want a 'fresh, new exciting voice with characters that pop off the page'.

I guess it just makes no sense to say that to writers because what writer is going to think that's not what they have when they send it.

It's a whole lot of words that mean...kinda nothing, really. Except to tie up new authors in knots to the point they dither around trying to figure out this secret code of what 'fresh voice' means. Or what 'with a fresh twist and unique spin' is in regards to the tired subjects.

A bunch of words thrown out there to put writers in tailspins to make sure they are doing that to the point that gets to the point they spend more time worrying if their voice is 'fresh and new' and less on actually writing a good story.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
And my point is what writer isn't already trying to do that?

It's a useless request since clearly it's all subjective.

'Be fresh. Be original. Put a new twist on it. Don't trot out the stale.'

Has any writer ever mentioned, admitted or gone on record as saying "nah, I decided to try to write in a tired, worn-out, stale voice and repeating the same old tropes and cliches with no unique or new twist and spin on it".

I understand agents and publishers want it. It just seems ridiculous to ask for it as if it's going to thin out their slush pile by writers going 'oh, well, that agent isn't for me, then since I write stale and worn out and clearly have no voice of my own'.

I don't think many writers at all are trying to do this. Slush piles just don't indicate it. Most writers are just copying what they've read, thinking that's what agents and editors want.

I really don't encounter many new writers to are actively trying to find a fresh voice, a fresh story. It isn't something that crosses their minds. They're trying to write a swell as they can, tell a story as well as they can, yes, but it is not the same thing.

Of course asking for a fresh voice is not going to cut the size of the slush, but it might make a few talented writers see things differently, spend some time asking themselves just what a fresh voice is, and what changes they can make to give agents and editors what they want. It may add a few manuscripts to the slush that are fresh, new, and exciting. It won't thin the slush, but it might make some of it better.

Agents and editors have been asking for fresh voice forever. It's not like this is anything new, or anything writers shouldn't already know. It's a common request, and always has been, and I do think it helps. If writers aren't thinking about what they can do to give agents and editors a fresh new voice, they're unlikely to achieve it.

Would it help if they said, We're looking for good, new voices unlike the ones we've heard a thousand times. We're look for good stories unlike the ones we've seen a thousand times, stories only that particular writer could tell, told in a way that only he can tell it. We're looking for characters unlike those we see every time we go through the slush.

I think most new writers, short story or novel, read fifty, or a hundred, or five hundred stories in their genre and think, Okay, that's the kind of story they want, that's the kind of plots they want, that's the kind of characters they want, etc., and then give them same old, same old. I know I did.

Do it well enough, and you can get published this way, but the stories won't go anywhere, even if you do sell them.

It took me ten years to realize the reason to read everything possible in a genre was to avoid giving them a voice like all the others, stories like all the others, characters like all the others, etc. When they advise writers to read everything possible in a genre, they aren't saying," This is what we want," they're saying, "This is what we've already punished, give us something new, something fresh, a story only you can tell, told in a way only you can tell it, and that isn't filled with characters we see everyday."

Maybe it's just me, but I had to start actively thinking about how to be fresh, new, and original. I had to start actively thinking about how to give agents and editors a story only I could tell, told in a way only I could tell it, and that wasn't like everything I'd read in a given genre.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would it help if they said, We're looking for good, new voices unlike the ones we've heard a thousand times. We're look for good stories unlike the ones we've seen a thousand times, stories only that particular writer could tell, told in a way that only he can tell it. We're looking for characters unlike those we see every time we go through the slush.

Maybe? I know they won't because they already get flak from bitter, rejected authors.

And I certainly agree the best way to stand out from the crowd is to be widely read, well read, reading deeply and understanding the things that makes something really work.

But then we get back to the whole subjective thing. What is fresh and new for one agent is old and hackneyed to another.

So the writer should worry less about what agents 'want' because they all want the same thing. A good story they can get behind and sell. Writers should spend less time dithering over what an agent wants and write the best story to their ability.

And if that doesn't work. Try again. Keep writing, keep growing as a writer, keep improving as a storyteller, and eventually (hopefully) they'll land that agent.

Discussing what is meant by fresh voice as if it's some concrete, objective ideal is an exercise in futility seems to me.

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Fresh voice? I think that's industry code for: We want to stick with what we know sells, but that gets pretty stale. We don't want to risk running something out that has no record of selling well, so we want someone who somehow seems to be doing something new without requiring us to run the risks attendant to actually doing something new.

Of course that's the Holy Grail for an agent. It's the Holy Grail for a publisher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.