Original artwork for cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR Dillon

Registered
Reaction score
All -- I am thinking seriously of self-publishing my YA science fiction story. I would like to have some original artwork for my cover -- a particularly important scene from the story itself -- but I don't know anyone who does book cover art. Have any of you done something like this? Any recommendations on who I could use, or where I could go to search, for this kind of cover art? Thanks in advance.

TRD

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of really fantastic artists on ConceptArt.org, and there's a subforum there for posting freelance jobs. If I were looking for an artist to do a SF cover, I think that's where I'd start.

Good luck!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would suggest making sure they have done successful covers in your genre. Covers have a language beyond making a great picture of something that happened in the book.

For example Anne Cain is a great artists but just as importantly, she understand how every tiny subgenre just of romance has different requirement to reach that reader and make them buy. As a reader you can see all these subtle and not so subtle difference in her covers--the ones she painted hersel and the ones she assembled. http://www.annecain-art.com/covers.html

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I just did this for the first time for one of my new releases. It's a New Adult book & I wanted an object for the cover. Luckily I have a close friend who is an artist & had her read the book & come up with what she thought would be good. She sketched the object for me and my husband who does all my covers is taking the artwork & will create the cover for me. My husband has hired her to work for him to do this for his company. He does websites & book covers. PM me if you'd like his info.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
DeviantArt is another place you might look for artists. Or check out the Art and Design forum here on AW. I think there are a few people there who do original artwork and there's a thread where they advertise.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll move this from Self Publishing to our Art and Design room, where you should get more appropriate help.

TR Dillon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the useful replies and information.

BookflyDesign

Editing and book cover design
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookflydesign.com
Just a Google search can turn up a lot of options. I'd suggest spending some time browsing designers' portfolios to see if their style fits your book. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.