• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Mentioning something without an immediate explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
athousandkeystrokes.wordpress.com
Hello everyone!

I currently have a (small or not so small) problem regarding my sci-fi novel. There is a concept/technology that is mentioned early on in the story and explained right away. However, it sounds like a little bit of an infodump because it's telling instead of showing (it's not more than one paragraph, but still). Showing at this point is not possible because the technology doesn't work at this point. So I'm wondering if it'd be okay if I delayed the explanation until way later in the story, where the technology actually does work and I can show instead of tell, or if I should just leave the short telling-explanation where it is.

The reason I'm asking is because it's not a particularly important technology. It doesn't have a particular importance in the story (yet), it just serves the purpose of worldbuilding. But I don't know if a reader would feel confused if I left the information out when it is mentioned, or if he'd even still care when the explanation does come later.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. I'd appreciate your opinions very mucho.

Cheers

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
There are times when it is entirely fine and appropriate to simply "tell" your audience something vs contriving an elaborate "show".

If you're first-drafting, let it stand and see how things unfold.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
I think a certain amount of info-dumping is unavoidable in a sci-fi novel. It's part of the worldbuilding; otherwise the reader gets confused.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's hard to judge without reading the exposition in question. If it's that short, maybe you could post it? (I'm not clear on the rules for what needs to go in SYW versus what's allowed on the other boards, so please ignore me if that's not okay to do!)

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I'm with SWest. The perfect place/way to deal with it probably won't be apparent until you're done with the first draft, anyway. Leave it or put a note on it to look at moving when you're done, but don't worry about this as a drafting problem anymore. It's a revision problem.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Like so many things, It Depends [SUP](TM)[/SUP].

When worldbuilding, the occasional infodump is unavoidable, but sci-fi readers in particular don't necessarily need everything spelled out, if explanations can be deduced from context. If it's something the POV characters take for granted, it can be glossed over with very little (if any) infodumping. "Bill knew it would be a bad day when it took three tries and a fist to the panel for the foodbox to cough up breakfast... and even then the eggs tasted like coffee while the coffee cup was full of brown yolky lumps." The reader can likely deduce that Bill's "foodbox" is some sort of replicator that's on the fritz. Now, if foodboxes and replicators were really important to the story, a little more could be trickled in - he might think about them sourly as he chokes down his mangled breakfast, providing the audience with more info - but since he thinks no more of it than we think of coffee makers or microwaves, and it's not necessary to the plot, it can just be another part of Bill's awful day.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because it's not a particularly important technology. It doesn't have a particular importance in the story (yet), it just serves the purpose of worldbuilding. But I don't know if a reader would feel confused if I left the information out when it is mentioned, or if he'd even still care when the explanation does come later.

Hard to tell without seeing it in context.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Right. I'll just leave it like that for now then and come back to it when I'm revising. And if I should still be unsure at that point, I might post it here/in SYW. But I doubt that'll be necessary. So thanks for all the responses!

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
You could defer the detailed explanation with a quick nod to why the tech doesn't work yet.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it necessary for you to 'explain' anything to the reader how the technology works? Surely the fact that in context it does what it's supposed to do is sufficient.

Last edited:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
It also depends on what type of book you're writing. The book I'm reading atm has more than one discussion about how things like artificial gravity ect work in this world. It's not an important point, but it's there. Personally, I couldn't care less, but the novel is very much a "concept" story. More about the what-ifs than anything else.

I feel the extra detail, while boring me, also establishes the credibility of the world for those who are reading this book primarily for it's concepts. So it really depends on what type of story you're writing and who you're writing for.

V.W.Singer

Purveyor of naughtiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vwsinger.com
If the "technology" is not actually used at that point, then the reader will probably not care if it is brought up as long as the characters don't make a fuss about it.

Burgerkrieg

just another twat who hates writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
whoisbetty.wordpress.com
Have you ever read Dan Simmon's "Hyperion"? It's bloody great, full of technologies, fancy words and in-universe technology. From the beginning on he bombards you with words you don't know and he just doesn't explain them, some are never even explained at all. The trick is to find a name that describes what something does perfectly such as farcaster (a sort of stargate to travel to other worlds instantaneously), holopit (an installation that displays hologrammes) or deathwand (an energy weapon). That way you can just postpone the xplanation to a point where it's more convenient, or not do it at all!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I agree: if it doesn't need a detailed explanation, don't give one. Readers are pretty smart. If it's something really unusual, you might provide a single sentence to explain it. Maybe two, if it's complicated. But I doubt a whole paragraph is necessary.

I used some unusual technology in my second novel. My MC keeps traveling through time uncontrollably. Eventually, her lover finds a way to track her using a borrowed "time ring." I could have explained how he got the ring, all about its history, how it works, etc. But it was such a minor part of the story, I didn't feel it was necessary to focus on it. So, when she asks how he found her, I had him point to the ring and say, "It locked onto your temporal signature and hitched a ride. I had to trade in every favor I've ever been owed just to find out it existed." That's all the explanation you get, but it's enough.

As others have said, it's perfectly okay to flag the issue and come back to it when you're doing revisions. Personally, I can't do that. If I find a problem, I have to fix it ASAP. But then, I'm obsessive compulsive and can't stand to let mistakes sit unchecked.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm actually like that as well, hehe, which is why I went back and did something in today's writing session. Like you said, I removed the explanation. I didn't think it was important enough to deserve one, and also like you said, readers may be able to put it together themselves. If not, they'll just have to wait until it gets clear later in the novel.

If something new is really important, another good idea is to explain it in dialogue, to a character who doesn't know what it is. I think that's what I'm gonna do in the future. Of course only if I can incorporate it seemlessly, without it seeming like an infodump or anything. And only if I can't just show it.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.