Goal: Live My Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

VioletInstincts

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in my mind with my characters drinking tea.
Website
twitter.com
For so many years, I focused on my jobs and what people thought about me. I have dyslexia, so I struggle with certain problems when it comes to written word.

In school, I would break out into a sweat when I was asked to read. I would have rather had a fingernail ripped off. Seriously, I would have.

I started reading Louis L'Amour books when I was about 14. At first, it would take me five minutes to read one page. I had to keep going back an read parts over. Over time, I got faster. I ended up graduating high school as the valedictorian.

I was practicing my speech with the cameras rolling and several teachers. I kept stumbling and told them I was just going to memorize it. The principal came in and asked me what was my problem.

I blurted something out like. "I can't read my cards with all of you watching and the cameras on. I need time to memorize it."

He folded his arms. "Just read it from the cards and glance up now and then. What's so hard about that?"

He meant well but it was hard enough for me to follow the lines that kept moving and being nervous made it worse. "I'm dyslexic."

He went white. "Lets clear the room and let her practice on her own."

Heheheheheee Part of my push to follow rules and be as perfect as I could was because of my fear of failure and ridicule. *shudders at the remembrance of spelling tests.*

Now, I'm a little older and feel that this is my life. I am like a two year old with a cookie. "Mine!"

I will take time if only for a second and look up at the stars remembering how small and miraculous we all are. I will allow myself moments like smelling the fresh brownies my hubby makes for me and sending an extra FB message to my mom saying I love her.

In 2006 I stood in the capital with my feet on the marble that says "I Have a Dream." I took a photo of my shoes close to the words knowing that I have a dream too.

My dream is to give life to the characters in my mind. I may get an agent and I may not. If I do, that would be wonderful. If I don't, I will self publish. I'm into photography and Photoshop, which will help.

For me, it is not about money or fame. I just love the feeling of seeing something in my mind and bringing it to life. Of course, I would want to have everyone fall in love with my stories, but what is most important is that I am in love with my stories.

So my goal is to bring my characters to life and love my stories. I have written a 81,000 word fantasy paranormal fiction. I strive to edit it properly because I want to do my characters justice.

Another goal I had for myself was to finish college. I have a BS in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. That part of my bucket list is done, so now I'm working on the other.

What's on your bucket list?

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your goals!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. Your goal is exactly what I needed to read today! How inspirational!
I'm like you in that if I don't ever publish traditionally, I'll probably self-pub too. Sometimes I forget that, and I start getting all worked up over whether or not I'm wasting my time writing my silly fantasy story. But then I think about my characters, and they're waiting on me to tell their story! That's priority #1 right there!

Thanks for the reminder!

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful story and dream. Come back and read this post whenever you're feeling down about things.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs on your accomplishments and good luck with the revisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.