PDA

View Full Version : Seeking writing buddy for steampunk/fantasy novel

lizo27
02-16-2014, 04:12 AM
I've just started working on a novel about a practicing magician in Victorian England who's investigating a curse. I live in an isolated area, so I don't have access to a creative writing class and/or a writing group, and I'm feeling a bit lonely with my project. I would love to have a writing buddy I can swap chapters with and bounce ideas off of; I also think it would be a great motivator to keep me going if I had someone to talk about my progress with. My own reading interests are pretty broad; I'd prefer to read fantasy or urban fantasy, though.

lizo27
02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Nobody? :( If it wasn't clear, this wouldn't be a one-way street; I'd want to talk about my buddy's project(s), too.

SWest
02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
*bump*

Hang in there...it's Sunday morning of Valentine's weekend. ;)

In order to find the One, you must be the One. You're very new to the community...have you been to SYW to read and offer critiques/comments for work you feel qualified to read? This is the best way for someone else to get a clue that you'd be a good fit to exchange pages.

'Luck! & Welcome!

lizo27
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Haha, fair enough. :) I admit to being intimidated by SYW. I've been reading over there and posted once, but I'm afraid I'm so new no one wants to hear from me, and I don't want to step on any toes.

SWest
02-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Read through some of the threads to see how "experienced" members work with passages...as long as you are clear about how a piece comes across to you and respectful that there is a living, breathing writer on the other end, you should do fine.

You may notice a "small" thing that ends up being very insightful and useful.

I found all of my current soul buds by posting critiques.

Kylabelle
02-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi there, just chiming in agreement with SWest here. Your project sounds intriguing and I wager if you interact some in SYW, and some of the other writing threads, you'll find what you're looking for.

I'm wishing I felt I had time and energy to pursue this, actually, because I am really drawn by your premise! But I can't take anything on right now. Someone will, though, I feel pretty sure. :D

And, I also felt intimidated by SYW for a long time. Many do! But repeated forays into the territory will overcome that. Trust me.

Good luck!

lizo27
02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks, guys! I'll see what I can offer at SYW. :)

Brother G
02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're still not getting enough feedback from SYW.

ZerosJourney
02-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Always up for steampunk. :) Sent you a PM.

Shelley-Bell
02-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi, I am very new here, just beginning to post. Happy to be of any help I can, I am not a writer but someone who loves a good read and words. I am looking for some Beta reading, but equally happy to be an encourager / sounding board. Especially as I live over here in very rural England which I am sure is very different to Texas ?