PDA

View Full Version : Revision Goal!

Inspie
02-15-2014, 06:38 AM
I always have trouble sticking to goals. My current WIP has been in the making since NaNo 2011. I finished the first draft in May 2012, then did some very minor edits in June/July of 2012 before putting it aside. In March 2013 I decided to start revisions, writing from scratch in first person dual POV. I am...still working on that almost a year later.

I'm at 70k. I need a kick in the pants to get myself to finish this month (I probably have 20k left) before work gets hectic. *sigh* So my goal is to have my edits/rewrites completely finished by March 1st.

Here's to hoping I actual stick to THIS goal. I've employed a sticker/calendar method to motivate myself. Has anyone else used this method?

-I (returning to edits with a pitchfork, screaming)

Supergirlofnc
02-15-2014, 06:49 AM
I always have trouble sticking to goals. My current WIP has been in the making since NaNo 2011. I finished the first draft in May 2012, then did some very minor edits in June/July of 2012 before putting it aside. In March 2013 I decided to start revisions, writing from scratch in first person dual POV. I am...still working on that almost a year later.

I'm at 70k. I need a kick in the pants to get myself to finish this month (I probably have 20k left) before work gets hectic. *sigh* So my goal is to have my edits/rewrites completely finished by March 1st.

Here's to hoping I actual stick to THIS goal. I've employed a sticker/calendar method to motivate myself. Has anyone else used this method?

-I (returning to edits with a pitchfork, screaming)

Good luck on getting your next 20K!

I've never used the sticker/calendar method, but I find stickers inspiring, so I could see it working. My method involves staring at my word count and forcing out another 100 words or so each day (: Then, I edit them away....

:Coffee: <-- Here's some coffee to help you along!

Canton
02-15-2014, 07:20 AM
You're past that point of no return. Why go back? That's how I talk to myself. I like to see progress every day. Even if it's one page. When I'm away on family vacation, a little part of me almost dies. :D You'll clear that edit just fine, I believe.

Siri Kirpal
02-15-2014, 07:30 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can do it. You can do it. You can, you can!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Inspie
02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks, everyone, for cheering me on! I've currently written about 10k in the past week, so I'm getting really close to finishing. I might actually finish earlier than March 1 (though now that I've said that, I won't).

Good luck on getting your next 20K!

I've never used the sticker/calendar method, but I find stickers inspiring, so I could see it working. My method involves staring at my word count and forcing out another 100 words or so each day (: Then, I edit them away....

:Coffee: <-- Here's some coffee to help you along!

Haha! Well, I must say, this sticker/calender method has been working fabulously so far! Not putting a sticker up every night is like some sort of defeat or failure, so it's kept me going. :)

Though I do also glare at my word count and will it to rise, sometimes, and will write until I hit 1k. Those tend to be the more frustrating of writing days, though, and drag on forever.

Phaeal
02-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Good luck with your rewriting goal! You'll make it.