PDA

View Full Version : National Theater - Coriolanus

knporter
02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
The National Theater live will be broadcasting the Shakespeare play 'Coriolanus' starring Tom Hiddleston (Avengers) and Mark Gatiss (Sherlock) in theaters world wide.

This is an amazing show and if given the opportunity to see it you definitely should. If you click on the link you can find out if it is being broadcast to a theater in your area.

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/ntlout5-coriolanus

angeliz2k
02-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to go see it at the Shakespeare Theater here in DC next week. Looks great. I like Tom (he did a fine job as Henry V in The Hollow Crown), love Shakespeare, and haven't seen/read this play before.

Nualláin
02-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Thanks for this knporter, I probably wouldn't have stumbled across it without your help, and it's showing at my local theatre! Much gratitude.

I see they'll also be broadcasting Simon Russell Beale's King Lear in May! That's doubly exciting, even moreso since I've had to cancel my trip back home this spring.

angeliz2k
02-21-2014, 07:11 PM
I saw this last night at the Shakespeare Theater (I hadn't been there before--it's amazing!). I liked the play and production, though I've liked other productions of other Shakespeare plays better. Tom Hiddleston was good, but Mark Gatiss (Menenius) actually stood out to me. Definitely worth my time and money.

Nualláin
02-26-2014, 04:38 AM
It was definitely worth the trip to the cinema. I thought the direction was a little weak in places, with the tone a little too strident (bordering occasionally on shouty), but the core of Martius, Menenius and Volumnia was excellent. Hiddleston impressed me throughout, moreso than in his Henry V, but Gatiss did steal it - as he is wont to do. I adore watching that man work.

The high point though was Volumnia's pleading. Damn but Deborah Findlay sold that scene hard, and the camera let us see Hiddlestone's face in exquisite detail as Martius broke down. There was genuine emotion in his reaction that was really moving, and he grew in my estimation in those moments.

That scene was worth the admission price alone.* Thanks again for the tip knp!

* - I also confess to being not entirely uninterested in watching Hiddleston get his face snogged off by a hairy Hadley Fraser.

Nualláin
04-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Anyone who fancies another dose of Shakespeare from the National, their production of Lear will be broadcasting to cinemas around the world next Thursday. Sam Mendes directs, Simon Russell Beale stars, and some say it's the best Lear we've had in years. I'll definitely be checking it out.

http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/productions/44084-king-lear