PDA

View Full Version : Question

apgambrell
02-14-2014, 06:59 AM
I'm working on a murder mystery and I have come to a bit I'm having trouble with. How far from the ground is a door to the average door of an airplane when it is parked at boarding gate? Is it high enough for someone to die if they fell from it? I haven't flown in over 14 years so I don't have that much experience with planes.

alleycat
02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
With something like a Boeing 737, the door is about 9 or 10 feet from the ground to the bottom of the front loading door. I'm guessing.

In a story you have it where someone could jump and be unharmed, or where they break a leg. If someone went head first they could die. You do have some leeway in a story as long as something isn't completely impossible (such as someone jumping out of an airplane at 50,000 feet and living).

apgambrell
02-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Thanks

alleycat
02-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Here's a photo of a 737. You can estimate the distance from the people on the ground in the photo. Looks like it might be closer to 10 to 12 feet to the door.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2012-04/69326308.jpg

GailD
02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Is it high enough for someone to die if they fell from it?

I think you could die just falling off a chair - it's all in how you land.

V.W.Singer
02-14-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm sure you've worked it out in your story, but just to remind you that the captain usually doesn't disarm the doors until an airbridge or stairs is in place. Pulling the emergency door open lever will deploy the escape chute. It's not easy to get a clear space to fall from an aircraft door these days.

Jamesaritchie
02-14-2014, 07:29 PM
I had a neighbor who fell off his porch and died. That was a fall of four feet.

heyjude
02-15-2014, 01:14 AM
Moving to the Story Research forum for wider exposure. :)

melindamusil
02-15-2014, 01:28 AM
I think you could die just falling off a chair - it's all in how you land.

It also depends on HOW you want them to die. I once knew a gal whose grandmother broke her leg after falling from a standing position. She died about a week later due to complications from that broken leg. Of course, she was quite up in years, but there is always the possibility of complications, even with seemingly minor injuries.

apgambrell
02-15-2014, 05:43 AM
The actual fall takes place from the gangway that connects the plane to the airport terminal because the plane wasn't in place yet.

melindamusil
02-15-2014, 07:16 AM
The actual fall takes place from the gangway that connects the plane to the airport terminal because the plane wasn't in place yet.

The next question is, what do you NEED to happen? Do you need your character to be killed? Make him hit his head. Do you need him to be uninjured? Minor injuries? What does the story need? Any of these is possible.

kuwisdelu
02-15-2014, 08:08 AM
On a completely unrelated note, I would strongly suggest a more descriptive thread title next time.

MttStrn
02-15-2014, 08:27 AM
The next question is, what do you NEED to happen? Do you need your character to be killed? Make him hit his head. Do you need him to be uninjured? Minor injuries? What does the story need? Any of these is possible.

This is really the main point that needs to be addressed. However if you need to him to be killed and the fall is from only that height...well, as people said, he could land on his head and sure he would die. But as I reader I might say to myself, "That's awfully convenient."

ClareGreen
02-16-2014, 07:42 PM

Assuming a modern setup with a terminal building and a parking space for the plane, if the plane hasn't stopped moving then nothing connects it to anything. They don't connect up the cables/hoses/gantries/steps/gangways until the plane's come to a complete stop. Among other reasons, aircraft skins are quite delicate and any sort of incident requires an inspection by a qualified engineer.