How to dye your hair bright colours

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Or at least, how I dye my hair bright colours.

(There are companies that make permanent brights, but they're never that good)

1. Bleach your hair. Don't worry about evenness of colour, that's for people who WANT to be blonde.
  2. You use a semi-permanent bright shade from a company like La Riche Directions.
  3. Slap it on your damp hair. Ignore the 15-30 minutes development, this stuff is literally just conditioning cream and colour pigment, what can go wrong? Wash it out when you get bored.
  4. Make sure to cover as many walls and bathroom fixtures as you can with brightly coloured splatter. It's not done until it looks like the Tate Modern threw up in there.
  5. Swear as you realise they changed the formula recently and what used to be a true red is now a pinky red.
  6. enjoy your bright new hair.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot the bit about making sure your ears and the top inch of your forehead are dyed to match your hair. :D

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And always remember to take your own pillowcase and towel if staying in a hotel or at friends' places, because the dye will stain even after it's dry.

I've ruined more towels, pillowcases and white shirts, which I have to wear for work...

BardSkye, who has neon orange hair, with a bottom layer of scarlet at the back.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, I don't do that strip the color out of your hair then put color back in thing. It is very hard on your hair. Unless you have very strong hair and lots of it, it can easily ruin it and you'll have to cut it off as it breaks off. Easy there, especially if you have long hair that's taken you years to grow out.

I've only used temporary streaks of the bright dye, a purple pink shade. But if your hair is darker, not all of the colors will show up. I read the Amazon reviews to figure out what colors would work and etcetera, lots of good input there. And yeah, even with the temporary dye, from what I read it will permanently stain your sink, so careful.

Temporary dye was fine for me. It was fun but I guess I just don't think of myself as a purple-headed person. So, temporary is also a good way to try it out before you commit. It lasted through a few washes.

Another idea is to just highlight your hair in the front (what used to be called "frosting.") Then the bright hair dye shows up much brighter on the bleached sections so you get that effect without stripping the outer layer off all your hair.

So, them's my two coppers.

Last edited:

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
My hair is ridiculously strong - even when I was bleaching it every six weeks for three years hairdressers were impressed by the condition, so no worries.

And I like a full head of BRIGHT colour.

Should have added, heavy use of coconut oil when you're done is... wise.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I always wanted the super-bright colours, but like you, I'd have to bleach my hair first to get anything to show up, and unlike you, my hair would NOT have fared well with that.

I did it to the underside of my bangs occasionally, because those get trimmed away anyway. It wasn't a big deal if I fried them.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
My hairs fairly light in colour, but it is ALSO very resistant to dye - because it's in such good condition. Any bright shade needs bleach to get it to show up.

It's a bit dry this week because I did the whole dying over one day rather than my usual two-day process involving tons of hair oil.