The Six Types of Writers

johnhallow

Hello? Eat my tarts?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm probably late to the party, but I stumbled across this earlier today. I couldn't stop laughing at the Bitter Failure.

Whenever I see something like this I can't resist the urge to share it. Here's the full link for anyone who wants to see it. It's quite long, though (haven't read it all myself), but what I did read was pretty interesting :D

What type do you reckon you are? At the risk of sounding egotistic, I honestly feel like the Ray of Sunshine :p And most of my creative writing class either fell into the Weird Recluse category or the Angry Young Man/Woman category xD

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a mix between the Space Cadet and the Recluse I think. Obviously, I am no literary genius nor am I striving to be.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those were the two I identified most with also, the Space Cadet and the Weird Recluse.

I see there is a test one can take. Maybe tomorrow I'll play with that. :D

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm a mix between Ray of Sunshine and Space Cadet. I definitely do live with my head in the clouds.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Weird Recluse and Space Cadet, for sure

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Weird Recluse meets Ray of Sunshine, with a touch of Angry Young Women, who isn't angry (most of the time), but does write nonfic.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
A little bit awkward admitting to some of them, as it makes one come across differently from how they mean. Admitting to being a recluse comes to mind. Oh so you admit to being genius, my what an ego!:D

But Space Recluse.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Space Cadet for me, though I probably have a little of every type to go with it.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. Pretty sure I don't and have never fallen into any of those categories.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a Space Cadet. I can imagine the pants off anyone!
...only I won't because, ew.

The making money by chance part is totally me also. Lol!

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Weird Recluses unite! Wait, that would mean leaving the house. Forget I said anything.

There could also be a tiny bit of Angry Young Man to this particular writer.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm a Space Cadet who's graduated to a Space Ensign -- maybe even a Space Lieutenant Junior Grade! Why? I had this epiphany: What? Rly? I've got to MARKET my stuff??? I'm not sending out brain waves that will lure the publishers to my door????

Huh.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I'm a cross between Weird Recluse and Angry Young Woman ... and I never knew. :eek:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, you peeps have been taking the test, right? I still have not. Who knows? Maybe I am a Ray of Sunshine after all?

I wonder if you can be a Ray and an Angry, mixed? That would be kind of... intriguing.

:D

ETA: I see the "quiz" is "coming soon!" and not here yet. :(

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't relate to any of them. Where does an ordinary, average person with a lot of outside interests, who just happens to write for a living, without planning or desire, fall?

I suspect Alexei Maxim Russel actually falls into the seventh kind of writer. . .the kind who can't count how many kinds of writers there are.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
... a writer needs to be able to deal with rejection. He or she needs to have an indestructible self-confidence and believe in their writing, no matter what anyone says. All authors unable to do so find themselves deposited in the rubbish heap of dead writers. If this rubbish heap had a name, it would be called "The Bitter Failure". This type of writer has been so jaded to the whole business of writing that they completely give in to their bitterness and effectively retire from the writing profession.
That's me! The Bitter Failure. :tongue

Last edited:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Space Cadet. Even when I'm present, I'm not really present. I'm off somewhere else having grand adventures in my head.