PDA

View Full Version : Can tripping on a playground break a finger?

magickalfantasy
02-13-2014, 01:57 AM
Just like the title says. Or if you have more creative but plausible ways for a kindergartener to break a finger on the playground then those would be helpful.

Cath
02-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Tripping pretty much anywhere can break a finger if you land poorly or on the wrong surface. Also consider getting a finger trapped in a movable play item (e.g. a roundabout or swing).

eoficon
02-13-2014, 02:05 AM
there are as many ways for a child to break a finger on a playground as there are children with fingers to break.

Seriously.
-pick any apparatus, add equal parts children and motion and voila.

No one with think twice about the plausibility

robjvargas
02-13-2014, 02:11 AM
there are as many ways for a child to break a finger on a playground as there are children with fingers to break.

Seriously.
-pick any apparatus, add equal parts children and motion and voila.

No one with think twice about the plausibility

And fingers on kids, too.

It didn't break, but in grade school, a child dislocated a finger when it wound up in a link of a chain holding a tetherball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetherball).

Drachen Jager
02-13-2014, 02:12 AM
More likely to dislocate a finger than break it, IMO. It's pretty hard to actually break the bones in your fingers.

Most people would call a finger dislocation a break, I know, I just want to be sure you have the right terminology.

magickalfantasy
02-13-2014, 02:26 AM
More likely to dislocate a finger than break it, IMO. It's pretty hard to actually break the bones in your fingers.

Most people would call a finger dislocation a break, I know, I just want to be sure you have the right terminology.

I'm definitely looking for a break. :)

magickalfantasy
02-13-2014, 02:27 AM
And fingers on kids, too.

It didn't break, but in grade school, a child dislocated a finger when it wound up in a link of a chain holding a tetherball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetherball).

We had tetherballs at my school! They were fun. But it hurt like hell when they hit you in the face. -_-

Siri Kirpal
02-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I broke (yes, broke) a finger in fifth grade while playing dodge play. All I did was whap the ball good and hard with the flat of my hand (but it hit the finger and one broke)

I broke another finger in seventh grade while playing softball. I was trying to catch a ball, and it hit me.

So, yes, breaking a finger is definitely possible in a schoolyard accident.

None of the above counts the torn Achilles tendon achieved while broad jumping.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Nymtoc
02-13-2014, 05:22 AM
When I was nine years old, I tripped on the playground and broke my arm. I guess it's possible to break a finger that way. True, fingers are flexible, but I can imagine that if a finger were twisted or bent backward in some way, it could break.*

*I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. ;)

Orianna2000
02-13-2014, 06:00 AM
I would believe it's possible. I busted my tailbone simply by slipping on the stairs and landing flat on my butt. Bent my tailbone into an L-shape that never healed. Still hurts to sit on a hard chair, 17 years later! Accidents happen, it's just a matter of the right thing happening at just the right moment.

ULTRAGOTHA
02-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Yes. Yes it can. Tripping on the playground can break a neck or a head or an arm or a toe or any other bone with no suspension of disbelief necessary.

StormChord
02-13-2014, 08:27 AM
You would be amazed how easy it is to break your skeleton in new and fascinating ways.
*nurses fractured clavicle and vows never to ski again*

alexaherself
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Tripping in the playground could give a child a broken finger, but I think it would be much more likely to cause a broken wrist, dislocated finger, or tendon injury.

I'm not a doctor, but could be available to play one on TV if the fee's right.

Furious Deep
02-13-2014, 07:19 PM
I am a nurse in an ER, and I see my fair share of broken bones. I don't see a lot of broken fingers though. Broken toes all the time, but not a lot of fingers. When I do see broken fingers that are the result of play time injuries, it is most often the pinky, and nine times out of ten it was done with a basketball.

The rest of the time, the broken fingers I see in kids are due to crush type injuries, such as being shut in a door. Sometimes we see broken fingers due to lacerations that go deep enough to damage the bone, usually from a power tool.

In slightly older kids the most common hand injury I see is a fractured metacarpal (the bones in the hand just before the fingers) and it is usually the result of a school yard fight. They call it a "boxers fracture" and it is usually the result of a sloppy right hook where the last two knuckles of the hand are the point of impact on the other persons head. I don't think a kindergartener would have the arm strength to pull that one off though.

magickalfantasy
02-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all of the help, everyone. I think I know how I'm going to do it. :)