How many registered users here are non-writers, meaning, readers only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be amazed if anyone had amassed any statistics on that.

I am aware that some members are here with a single agenda which has nothing to do with writing, whether it's social interaction, support during troubled times, or discussing politics. But that doesn't mean they didn't intend to write, or didn't used to write, or don't plan to get started writing real soon, in which case there's plenty here for them.

Maryn, who writes

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is kind of like my answer to people who ask me if I am a vegetarian. I say "Yes, except when I eat meat."

So, IMO, given the varieties of writing engaged in, the number of members (many of whom come and go) I don't think it would even be possible to know how many are here who are self-defined as "not writers."

I know of a couple. But even those I suspect of writing.

Personally, I can say there have been months in which writing seemed so distant from me that I considered whether I ever would write again. But that consideration does not last very long. And all during that time, I was both posting here, and keeping my blog updated once or twice a month.

Doesn't count, does it?

:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is kind of like my answer to people who ask me if I am a vegetarian. I say "Yes, except when I eat meat."

So, IMO, given the varieties of writing engaged in, the number of members (many of whom come and go) I don't think it would even be possible to know how many are here who are self-defined as "not writers."

I know of a couple. But even those I suspect of writing.

Personally, I can say there have been months in which writing seemed so distant from me that I considered whether I ever would write again. But that consideration does not last very long. And all during that time, I was both posting here, and keeping my blog updated once or twice a month.

Doesn't count, does it?

:D

QFT.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
well there are some agents who are members here and as far as I know they don't write
so at least one or two

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple of folks who keep insistin' my posts here count as writing. Other than that and my grocery list, I don't write. Much. Or anything. Or of anything. Else, that is.

Deleted member 42

Just curious.

1. How do you define "writer"? I define it as anyone who writes—forum posts, email, essays, reports, papers, memos, letters, blogs, journals, books, poems, songs, recipes . . .

2. There's no way to track that data even if you have an agreed upon definition of writer.

3. I don't primarily consider myself a "writer." I primarily identify as a reader. But I write and people pay me for that writing, so go figure . . .

4. You might note that there are over 60,000 members on AW. Those are people who have logged in at least once in the last 365 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious.

Where do you draw the line?

• People who have no intention of writing.
  • People who think they might want to write someday.
  • People who are forever starting novels or world-building, but never get past page 5.
  • People who write whole novels, but are too timid to come out of the closet, perhaps with good cause.
  • People who write and are trying to get published.
  • People who write and have published one or two items.
  • People who write all the time and have a strong publication record.
  • People who make a living from their work.
  • People who write while sitting semi-drunk on the deck of their yacht in the Mediterranean, purchased with their last royalty check.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Well, we don't typically run polls where we get everyone to say if they're a writer...

I imagine that most people are here because they are in some part involved in the writing industry. Most will be writers, others will be agents, publishers, editors or cover designers. A few more will be people who did write but don't any more and stayed for the community.

Lexxie

Avid reader and lover of fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
unconventionalbookviews.com
I'm not an author, but I do write stuff (reviews, essays, e-mails ;) ). I signed up here because I'm a reader, and I have my own review blog. I am always interested in learning more about what happens to make a book I get to read, and AW is a great place to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.