PDA

View Full Version : really bad reasons to buy a new house/move

melindamusil
02-12-2014, 12:39 AM
I'm not talking about abstract financial stuff, like "economists predict that interest rates will go down soon", but trying to think of foolish non-financial reasons to buy a house, like "my landlord doesn't allow me to have a dog, so I'm going to buy a giant house with a giant yard just so I can have a dog".

It's a a backstory detail, but this move is a detail showing that this character is impulsive and lacking in common sense.

mirandashell
02-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Because the doors are a nice colour? Cos it's over the road from his or her favourite pizza restaurant?

Karen Junker
02-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I once bought a house because it was a place that Kurt Cobain had been known to hang out.

Ramshackle
02-12-2014, 12:48 AM
The character's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend was convinced the previous house was haunted.

Seriously - my partner and I made a promise years ago that if one of us calls spooky ghost, then the other has to respect the call and we have to move.

There are just too many movies where one person in a couple says "This house is totally evil, we have to go" and the other person says "Nope, you're being silly" and they stay and everybody dies bloody.

And all of these movies are based on true stores! The text at the end of the credits says so. :eek:

Wilde_at_heart
02-12-2014, 12:50 AM
For kids the MC doesn't even have yet?

Cathy C
02-12-2014, 01:02 AM
All the "it" people are moving there.

Maxx B
02-12-2014, 01:04 AM
Bad feng shui? The MC could have had their house assessed by someone and convinced that whatever was going wrong for them was down to bad energy, that couldn't be fixed by adding a potted plant and moving the sofa around.

robjvargas
02-12-2014, 01:10 AM
How about anticipating a life change? You bought a ticket elsewhere for (say) a job interview. The interview went great, so you start househunting. You close and sign, but the job falls through.

melindamusil
02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Wow, great ideas! You AWers are the best! Rep points for all!

Maggie Maxwell
02-12-2014, 01:30 AM
"Because I felt like it/am tired of my current place."
"My old/current place wants to start a home owner's association."
"This gir/guy I just started seeing really wants to live in this area, so moving there will make them want to stay with me."

Myrealana
02-12-2014, 01:35 AM
My sister-in-alw once bought a house because the next door neighbors had "cool chickens in their yard."

You know what cool chickens (esp. roosters) do every morning at dawn? And pretty much all day long...

(This was when she and my brother were still just friends, long before they even started dating, let alone got married.)

lizbeth dylan
02-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Because the fiancee really, really liked the house but she had a bad credit score. So he got the financing in his name. Then within a few years they broke up. So now he's stuck with the house that he didn't really want.

**Except for a few details: true story**

Bing Z
02-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Because the drunk dude at the dive bar, who claimed he was Donald Trump's CFO, said that was the best place to invest and that they were going to bid for it in a few weeks' time.

Because the broker said Google was going to move their headquarters to this town and my new home would be worth 50 times before I can count to one million.

Lauram6123
02-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Because my sister just bought a house and I want one too
or
Because the house I grew up in is for sale, and even though I can't afford it, it should stay in the family. (This one actually happened.)

Elias Graves
02-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Because the current house needed a remodel.
Seriously. I got my place cheap because the owners didn't want to mess with paint and carpet.

lbender
02-12-2014, 02:57 AM
The garbage cans are full. Let's move.

The yard is a mess. I can't deal with it. Let's move.

That dog just went on my front lawn! Ewwww! Let's move.

lizbeth dylan
02-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Another reason, which has been all too common, is because they wanted it, even though they really could not afford it, and were approved for cheap introductory financing. When the intro rates jump, that's when they realize they've got more house than they bargained for.

That would show lack of common sense or financial responsibility/maturity.

Albedo
02-12-2014, 03:15 AM
Too many ghosts

Not enough ghosts

The ghosts here aren't Our Sort of People

Giant Baby
02-12-2014, 03:25 AM
Because the address is 1215 Robertson Place, and her twelfth grade boyfriend's birthday was December 15. That was the year she was named head cheerleader and treasurer of the student council, and the boyfriend's name was Bobby. CLEARLY he was the one who got away.

Because the address is 69 or 666 anything, and she/he thinks that's hilarious.

Because the paint job complements his/her BMW's. It will look SO AWESOME parked outside.

Because he/she is trying to hit on the broker?

StephanieFox
02-12-2014, 04:28 AM
I'm not talking about abstract financial stuff, like "economists predict that interest rates will go down soon", but trying to think of foolish non-financial reasons to buy a house, like "my landlord doesn't allow me to have a dog, so I'm going to buy a giant house with a giant yard just so I can have a dog".

I am a real estate agent and I'd say that 'I want to have a dog,' is at least part of the reason that 50 percent of people have to buy a house. Hell, it was the reason I bought a house.
I've owned my house for 15 years and got a dog six months after we closed on it.
But if you think that was a bad reason, other reasons are, "I want to grow a garden," and 'I want to put in a (studio, professional office, workshop, artist studio.)

Reasons people have for NOT choosing a particular house is, 'It's across from a cemetery,' even though that means than no one is going to build an office building or a mall there.

WeaselFire
02-12-2014, 07:46 AM
I had a friend buy her house because her great-grandfather built it. But he built everything in the neighborhood so it wasn't really that special. It made the difference over her second choice though.

My old boss bought the house he lives in now because it had a great yard for his dog. The dog died six weeks after closing and my boss never did like the house much.

And I had a coworker who sold their house because a gay couple moved in next door. They lost money on the deal too, just to get away quickly. Many years ago it was also common to sell because blacks, Italians or Jews moved in.

I always liked the house that spawned the Amityville Horror... :)

(Not the movie house, the real one)

Jeff

Brutal Mustang
02-12-2014, 08:21 AM
I am a real estate agent and I'd say that 'I want to have a dog,' is at least part of the reason that 50 percent of people have to buy a house. Hell, it was the reason I bought a house.

Yep. For me, it was having space for my horses. But then, riding and training horses are my passion. They're a big part of who I am.

So you see melindamusil, your character can get a house for any damn reason, and you won't be able to convince some readers it was silly. Because for many of us, our dreams will boil down to the very simple things in life. What will convince most readers buying the house was silly, is showing that it was bought on a spontaneous yearning that passed soon after the character bought the house.

Natira
02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Another reason could be that the character disliked the house so much that they wanted to get rid of it... so they bought it to get rid of it and left.

Chris P
02-12-2014, 08:41 AM
I had a friend tell me buying a house would get me a wife because equity is sexy. For real.

frimble3
02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
But if you think that was a bad reason, other reasons are, "I want to grow a garden," and 'I want to put in a (studio, professional office, workshop, artist studio.) Or anything that looked both incredibly cool and totally simple, when done by professionals on a TV makeover show.
Reasons people have for NOT choosing a particular house is, 'It's across from a cemetery,' even though that means than no one is going to build an office building or a mall there. A cemetery has all the advantages of a park (open green space, no future construction) without the playground full of screaming kids. I would love to live by a cemetery. It's like living next to a ravine, without the risk of falling in.

Chris P
02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
A cemetery has all the advantages of a park (open green space, no future construction) without the playground full of screaming kids. I would love to live by a cemetery. It's like living next to a ravine, without the risk of falling in.

Well, you'll eventually fall into a cemetery, but you yourself won't really notice.

frimble3
02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Another bad reason to buy a house (or do a lot of things): this will prove to people that I'm an adult!
Or, because the guy at the bank said we could afford a house, so we did.
Anything, basically, that is about the opinion of others, rather than your actual needs.

On another tack: "This is the house we were looking at when he/she said "If I have to look at one more damn house I'm going to start screaming and not stop!" So I said, "Good enough for me!""

jaksen
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
I have had many friends move over the years and in most cases it is, more house. They want 'more house' for kids, stuff, or they want a great room or an open floor plan. In effect, they want more space for stuff. Sometimes they even want 'more land' even though more land translates into more work, more expenses.

Many of these friends then went on to 'downsize' when kids moved out. And in a few, they moved again because they could no longer afford the 'more space' house.

I just stayed put in my little house.

TellMeAStory
02-12-2014, 08:02 PM
I knew a guy who bought the house around the corner from his own--in the same subdivision no less--because it had more bookshelves built into it.

eoficon
02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Too many ghosts

Not enough ghosts

LOL

for stupid reasons how about

-hot girl/guy seen next door.
or
-love the window treatments
or
-close to a mcdonalds

melindamusil
02-13-2014, 01:31 AM
I've owned my house for 15 years and got a dog six months after we closed on it.
But if you think that was a bad reason, other reasons are, "I want to grow a garden," and 'I want to put in a (studio, professional office, workshop, artist studio.)

Reasons people have for NOT choosing a particular house is, 'It's across from a cemetery,' even though that means than no one is going to build an office building or a mall there.

That was a bad example, and I know it. I don't think wanting a dog is necessarily a bad reason to move, but I do think it is a bad reason to buy a larger house than you can afford. I just couldn't think of a better example - which is why I turned to AW, and there's some GREAT choices here!

melindamusil
02-13-2014, 01:32 AM
I knew a guy who bought the house around the corner from his own--in the same subdivision no less--because it had more bookshelves built into it.

Hmm... speaking as a writer and a reader, I'm not sure if this is a bad example or not! ;)

Snitchcat
02-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Bad feng shui? The MC could have had their house assessed by someone and convinced that whatever was going wrong for them was down to bad energy, that couldn't be fixed by adding a potted plant and moving the sofa around.

I have to dispute "bad feng shui" as a really bad reason to buy or move house. It's not. In fact, it's an *excellent* reason to move / buy:

Bad fengshui is not only related to positions of objects or decor in the house; it's also related to the environment around the house, the location of the front door, the windows, the main room's location, etc. Whether or not the place has a basement, what's in it, what's around it in the ground, and so on.

"Bad" fenghsui places for a dwelling may include a grave site / cemetery / an area that naturally pulls in "bad luck", etc. It may also relate to the history of the house, the environs. And so on.

Back to topic: bad reasons to move / buy? Heh.

You hate and blame your neighbour for something not their fault or under their control, e.g., parentage.
The cars in the neighbourhood are cheap and rusty.
The front lawn refuses to grow green; instead it's yellow and brown all year round.
The ice-cream van always parks in front of your house.
Gravel pathway is too "crunchy" underfoot.
Paint peeling off the exterior walls (if you've painted the exterior).
Power sockets are in the wrong place.
Smelly carpet.
Room doors are hinged on the wrong side.
Kitchen stove is not your style.
You despise the wallpaper.
Skirting boards are too white or too yellow or totally out of style.
Lights are too dim.
Lightbulb has blown its fuse.
Bathroom isn't as big as the master bedroom.
Not enough storage space.
You like the new neighbourhood.
New house shows off your wealth (or lack thereof).
You want to impress your boss who's invited him/herself round for dinner.
A nicer / bigger / better house will bring in more money / advantages / financial benefits .
You want to clean more.

Sage
02-13-2014, 08:11 AM
How about anticipating a life change? You bought a ticket elsewhere for (say) a job interview. The interview went great, so you start househunting. You close and sign, but the job falls through.Sounds like something someone I know would actually do.

Because the fiancee really, really liked the house but she had a bad credit score. So he got the financing in his name. Then within a few years they broke up. So now he's stuck with the house that he didn't really want.

**Except for a few details: true story**This story is really common, I've found out after buying a house with a friend. Which, btw, I do not recommend.

Because the house I grew up in is for sale, and even though I can't afford it, it should stay in the family. (This one actually happened.)And I could see *me* doing that.

Too many ghosts

Not enough ghosts

The ghosts here aren't Our Sort of PeopleOr this.

-hot girl/guy seen next door.
Most likely answer in a book for a stupid reason to buy a house. I could see this in a book very easily.

StormChord
02-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Because she once drove past the house she wound up buying and noticed that the hot college-age dude living next door never closed his bedroom shades?

Johncs
02-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Sibling/friend gets married = buy a house.

See, I'm totally an adult and stuff. I own a lawnmower! Does the "happy couple" own a lawnmower? I think NOT.

Maze Runner
02-13-2014, 11:23 PM

This reminded me of a guy who bought his teenage daughters (3 of them, all beautiful) the house next door, basically to get a little peace. It backfired when their partying kept him up all night.

This thread reminds me- that and Chase's clue in *Guess The Movie*- of that line in Casablanca where Claude Raines asks Bogie what brought him to Casablanca. "I came for the waters," says Bogie.

"What waters? We are in the desert."

"I was misinformed."

I've recently thought about moving because the hotter the summers get in LA, the more oppressive is the late afternoon sun on the side of our house where we do most our living. A really bad reason? Depends on if we land on our feet or not. I'll let you know.

Sage
02-13-2014, 11:30 PM
"I need a big change right now, but there's no chance that next year I won't want a big change and be stuck in a mortgage."

Furious Deep
02-13-2014, 11:44 PM
I kid you not, I have a family member that was absolutely dead set on buying a particular house because it had antique crystal door knobs on all the doors.

L.C. Blackwell
02-16-2014, 06:58 AM
This thread reminds me- that and Chase's clue in *Guess The Movie*- of that line in Casablanca where Claude Raines asks Bogie what brought him to Casablanca. "I came for the waters," says Bogie.

"What waters? We are in the desert."

"I was misinformed."

True story: a guy moved up to a little town on Lake Michigan and loved it. Beautiful atmosphere, boats on the lake, nice community. The next year, he moved back to California. Why?

"Because nobody ever told me the sun doesn't shine from October to April!"

(It's a bit cloudy on the Lake in the winter.)

ECathers
02-16-2014, 08:51 AM
LOL I vote that bookshelves and Feng Shui are good reasons to buy! And a yard for my dogs would be especially good.

I turned down several houses because my cat was allowed outside and I wouldn't move near a road.

Other reasons (perhaps wacky, perhaps not, some more than others)

Antique car in garage (comes with the house).

Likes the landscaping (LOL if the character's wealthy, maybe the house is the local garden club's winner.

True story: I had a friend who moved to AR and bought a house there because he wanted to drop out and live in the poorest state in the union.

More parking spaces.

To live near/far away from a neighbor who goes overboard on Christmas decorations.

To live near a famous actor/favorite writer, etc.

Liked the color paint.

The cat liked the house.

Wanted to be in a different/same time zone from work. (Most effective if they live right on the edge of a time zone border.)

blackrose602
02-18-2014, 06:23 PM
True story: My uncle bought a house in terrible condition, that he couldn't afford, because it was on a brick road.

Marian Perera
02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I once had a coworker whose sons, aged twenty and twenty-one, went away to college. She bought them a house nearby so they could attend classes easily, and the plan was that they would rent out the spare rooms to cover costs and maybe even help with the mortgage.

They promptly installed their girlfriends in the house and it became known as the Love Shack. Naturally, the girlfriends didn't pay rent, and their presence meant the boys weren't doing much studying. They eventually dropped out and my coworker had to sell the house at a loss.

Nivarion
02-22-2014, 02:32 AM
A common real life one is a job offer that isnt finalized yet. You get there and then they go "eh, we want someone else."

Ketzel
02-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Because the name of the street the new house is on is cute/funny to the buyer? "Hey, everybody, I just moved into a house on Bingo Road! Game's at my place!"
Because the kitchen has a water fountain that looks just like the one the buyer loved in elementary school?
Because the buyer found a four leaf clover in the lawn?
Because the buyer had a dream or a tarot card reading or a palm reading that said s/he should buy a house with white shades and a blue door?