• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Which is Funniest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sometimes my humor is a little too kooky. I'm deciding on a made-up quote. Please let me know which quote is funniest (if any):

Here’s an example of my mom’s impulsiveness. When sister #3 was getting married in Douglas, Arizona, a potent norovirus swept through the wedding party. This illness made the black death seem like mild sniffles, and came on quickly. The night before her planned drive back to San Diego, my mom started feeling sick. She knew what was coming, but instead of the practical choice of waiting to see how bad it would be, or waiting until she recovered, she threw all her stuff in the car at midnight and started on the seven-hour trip home. The result was an entertaining story about the nightmare car drive from hell, which included the sentence, “Hey Lady, someone’s got to clean the vomit off my windshield, and it’s not going to be me!”
Which quote is funniest:
  1. “Hey Lady, someone’s got to clean the vomit off my windshield, and it’s not going to be me!”
  2. "Well, you should have thought of that before you vomited out the window."
  3. "I don't care whose monkey it is, I want to know why you vomited on my windshield."

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might wish to clarify who is driving.

As is, to me at least, any intended/supposed humour is lost by wondering who is speaking. The quotes don't really seem connected to the preceding paragraph and seem to me to be an attempt at humour after the event. I have an imagination, too, and don't need the scenario to be spelled out.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Play it again, Sam . . . er . . . Al

Sorry. Isolated quotes have as little humor as punchlines without the joke. :Shrug:

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I guess #1, but I don't find any of them funny, nor the situation.

I feel sorry for the sick people, and if the illness is due to norovirus, then everyone else in that car should have refused to ride with the sick woman for fear of catching it too. Even if 'Mom' wanted to tough it out, someone else would have put their foot down out of sheer self-preservation.

I was also left wondering how anyone gets vomit on a windshield when they're inside the car. My first assumption was the vomit was on the outside of the windshield.

I realize now it was probably on the inside, but if I were reading this, I wouldn't necessarily pause long enough to make that connection correctly. Usually, the outside of the windshield is what catches nasty stuff, not the inside, and there's also the (incorrect) assumption that the material in question would be falling, not moving horizontally. Altogether, it adds up to me having the wrong layout pictured in my mind and being left wondering how that's possible.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
1 definitely. It's quite snappy.
2 sounds a little cold, like X is scolding her
3 also sounds a bit judgemental.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Well first of all, the way I read it is, that the speaker is some person who had the unfortunate experience of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and was somehow victimized by the mom's sickness.

So, for punch line #1 I imagine the guy's mom staggering out of her car and vomiting on some guy's windshield. I think line number one works best out of the three.

That being said, I think vomit is too obvious a choice for the punch line. Its not horrible or wacky enough. The humor has to create a picture in the reader's mind of something happening that, while awful, is also unexpected, and more insane. Just throwing up on a windshield or out the window doesn't go far enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Think about the scene in Bridesmaids when a women in a wedding dress has food poisoning and is forced to relieve herself in the street. That is awful and funny on many levels.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not funny at all. Start afresh.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Each might be hilarious, or not funny at all. There's no way of knowing without reading the lead in.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
If those are the choices, the first one.

Ugh, it does remind me of my brother-in-law's wedding though. It was a home wedding with a JP and all the family was there. My infant daughter began vomiting, then it ran through the family until everyone was running around trying to find something to throw up in. It was awful!

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
. . .

I was also left wondering how anyone gets vomit on a windshield when they're inside the car. My first assumption was the vomit was on the outside of the windshield.

I realize now it was probably on the inside, but if I were reading this, I wouldn't necessarily pause long enough to make that connection correctly. Usually, the outside of the windshield is what catches nasty stuff, not the inside, and there's also the (incorrect) assumption that the material in question would be falling, not moving horizontally. Altogether, it adds up to me having the wrong layout pictured in my mind and being left wondering how that's possible.
Never hung your head out the window and let fly while you were driving down the freeway, have you?:roll:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Each might be hilarious, or not funny at all. There's no way of knowing without reading the lead in.

I'd go with this, but I personally would refuse to ride home in a car with someone who felt norovirus coming on (though if mom was the last one in the group to get it, maybe everyone else was already on the mend), as it's the most contagious thing in the universe and stays in the environment for weeks or months after.
Never hung your head out the window and let fly while you were driving down the freeway, have you?:roll:
As someone who went on many a car trip as a kid and shared a backseat with her chronically carsick cousin, and who has been a designated driver for someone who was sick drunk a time or two, I can say that the aerodynamics make it form a sort of "racing stripe" down the side of one's own car, rather than flying back to hit the car behind.

Last edited:

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
As someone who went on many a car trip as a kid and shared a backseat with her chronically carsick cousin, and who has been a designated driver for someone who was sick drunk a time or two, I can say that the aerodynamics make it form a sort of "racing stripe" down the side of one's own car, rather than flying back to hit the car behind.

That's the problem I had in picturing the incident. I assumed the cars had to both be stopped, at a stoplight, parked, whatever, but then the person vomiting would have to manage quite a distance horizontally. Are we meant to picture that the vomit landed on the windshield of the moving car behind? Because I'd be surprised if it worked like that.

If I have to pick, I'd go with the first, but it really doesn't do much for me. I'm assuming the lead-in is the paragraph above, and 1, 2 or 3 is substituted for the last line. Number 2 would be a distant second choice, because it's unclear what specifically happened. Number 3 doesn't work at all for me, because there's no clue what happened.

I think what makes it funny is the reader being able to figure out, from the final sentence, what specific unexpected incident took place. If the last sentence doesn't have enough clues (what monkey?) the reader can't do it. If the incident is too ordinary (she threw up on somebody's car), it lacks the comic payoff.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I find that the delivery leaves the humour totally flat. It's all reported in a very matter or fact, dry way that makes the tone seem rather humourless. And if that's the punchline, then reporting it like a quote from a newspaper article is not making it any funnier.

I'd try to get this anecdote across in a much more immediate way if you want the humour of it to shine through. Quirking up the language and tone to make the 'kookiness' come through would be a start.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure any of them strike me as really funny, but all of them make me want to hear the story that leads up o the line. The third one, I think, makes me most curious.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
#3 makes me curious because I want to know more about this monkey, but I didn't laugh at any of the options.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hey, tough crowd. :)

But seriously, thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I had mistakenly thought that having a vague punchline in there would tell the reader that some weird things happened without me having to spell them out, but I can see that it misfired.

I will rethink this entire part. Thanks again.

Al

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Personally, I think the whole scenario might be more funny if instead of the info dump (which is what I assume is the previous paragraph which lead up to the 'funny line') were to be illustrated a little more in dialogue to help draw the humor out.

We're reading about a stubborn woman packing up in the middle of the night while she's sick as a dog and then this line is thrown at us from out of nowhere.

Personally, I think the entire thing would work better as a dialogue exchange to show it a little more, rather than throwing a wall of text at us and then jibbing us in the ribs and going 'ain't that funny yuk yuk yuk'.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I'm surprised at the number of people who didn't read the lead in. Why comment if you're not sure what you're commenting on?

Anyways, I agree with the others. #1 I felt was best, but I was wondering who was driving. The packing etc made it seem like she was driving home herself to try to race the illness, but when I read the punchline I pictured a cab driver for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.