When to check if an agent received your submission

JudasFm

(And Zlang-Zlang Squid)
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering, how long do you give it before you email an agent to check if he/she received your submission? Please note, I'm not nudging to demand an answer; although waiting is frustrating, the longer it takes, the longer I can dream ;)

I still have a 50 page partial and a full being reviewed by Paula Munier and Faye Atchison respectively, and I sent both submissions at the beginning of December. I didn't expect a definite answer by now, but would it be seen as too pushy to drop both agents a professional note at this point just to ask if they'd received my submissions?

Something like this:

Dear Ms. Munier / Ms. Atchison

This is just a brief note to ask if you received my submission "Nemesis: Point of No Return" which I sent to you via email on Dec 3 2013 (subject line: "WD 2013").

I understand you must be very busy, but if you could take a minute just to drop me a line and let me know that you received the submission, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Jude Austin

What do you think? Am I being a little too hasty? Only I have had submissions (and agents' responses!) be eaten by the internet before.

As always, I'd be grateful for any thoughts :)

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
If you sent them via email they I can't see why they wouldn't have received them. I wouldn't send a follow up email, as like you said it looks a bit too pushy.

Just be a little more patient, I'm sure they'll reply soon. :Hug2:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
You've been waiting over two months. It's not unusual to wait even longer---agents always have huge stacks to read, and priority goes to existing clients. Nevertheless, I think that after that period there's nothing wrong with a short, polite note asking if they've had a chance to read yet, which I assume is what you really want to know. Your note, about whether or not they got it, seems disingenuous--why shouldn't they have? But if by chance they didn't, either note should prompt a reply.

Once you've asked, then I think you forget about those submissions and just soldier on with additional subs. You'll hear from those two agents if they love it, and if they don't, oh well and on to the next.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I followed up on submissions when I was querying, because I did want to be certain my material had actually been received. (If they sent an autoreply, I just gritted my teeth and waited for however long it took to hear back.)

Here's the thing, email is not infallible. Things sometimes seem like they've gone through and they haven't. Things also sometimes wind up in someone's Spam filter (this goes for replies as well). Check QueryTracker. There are plenty of reports from folks checking on submissions and being told "I never received it. Please send again."

If there was no autoreply to confirm your material was received, there is no reason why you shouldn't follow up to make sure that it was. That being said, if you sent off in December chance are it will take longer than 'normal' to hear back because of the holiday weeks that come in the middle. I would say wait 'til the end of February, then nudge. (But nudge. You really have nothing to lose as long as you're polite.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd leave it at least three months from date of sending before nudging.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Agreeing with Old Hack that it's best to wait 3 months or more before nudging...unless they say they want you to nudge sooner.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
They almost certainly received it. Be patient. And remember that you may be one of hundreds of writers all in the same boat. If all of you start asking things, the agent will never get anything done. Just wait.

JudasFm

(And Zlang-Zlang Squid)
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :) With that in mind, I'll wait until the beginning of March before I check. Like I said in my original post, I'm really not nudging to ask them whether or not they've read it yet; when it comes to submissions, so long as I know for certain that they have it, I tend to forget all about it until the response turns up. I'm nudging because I've lost submissions (and agents' subsequent replies) to cyberspace on more than one occasion, and in the absence of any autoreplies, I get a little concerned. I'm just a worrier :D