PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics - sports discussion

mirandashell
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Is it ok to have a thread to discuss the sport?

Just watching the opening ceremony. Only seen the athletes coming out cos I didn't get home soon to watch the ceremony.

Looking forward to the curling! We have a chance of a medal.

mirandashell
02-07-2014, 09:20 PM
The Jamaican bob sleigh team are there!

Snowstorm
02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I wondered if the televised ceremony was taped delay, so you've answered that question. I'll miss the televised ceremony because of work.

And I agree too: Curling! Curling! Curling!

mirandashell
02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Actually there's a few more hours of ceremony to go! LOL!

This bit is pretty good. Some nice effects.

TerryRodgers
02-07-2014, 09:59 PM
I didn't even know the Olympics were on. Not really into them except for maybe snowboarding. What I don't like about the Winter Olympics is that the NHL closes down for two weeks. Completely screws up teams and conditioning for the players not attending and any momentum that teams may have had.

mirandashell
02-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Is that cos the best players go to the Olympics?

Xelebes
02-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Argh, had to miss the Tournament of Hearts games today because of the Opening Ceremonies. Curling! Curling! Curling!

Jersey Chick
02-08-2014, 01:38 AM
I'm usually a huge fan of the Olympics, but this year, I can't seem to get past 'meh.' Maybe it's because of the nonsense surrounding them, maybe it's the time delay (it was hard to get excited about Nagano and Sydney as well, because a lot of the time, I knew who won before the events were televised here,) maybe it's because I don't know who the American standouts are (aside from Shaun White.) I also don't like that professional athletes are allowed to compete. I've never agreed with that. So while I love hockey, I probably won't watch much of it. Makes me think of the 'Miracle on Ice' team of 1980 - which was definitely something to see (I remember it like it was last week. :D)

mirandashell
02-08-2014, 01:53 AM
It is tricky with the massive time delay. The Sydney games was the worst for us here cos it was all highlights. I don't think I saw anything live.

My biggest meh is the Ice Dancing. I used to love it until they changed the rules and now it's too much like Pairs.

But yeah.... Curling! Curling! Curling!

mirandashell
02-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Just been watching a special programme on Torville and Dean's Bolero. Can't believe it's the 30th anniversary this year. And it's still brilliant to watch.

Jersey Chick
02-08-2014, 02:39 AM
I used to love watching Robin Cousins skate. And I remember rooting for Elaine Zayak, because she was from NJ. And Eric Heiden - he came to our town after winning all those golds, and was treated like a rock god. Such a long time ago...

Xelebes
02-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Yeah, the figure skaters have fallen back in name recognition. The only one that rings a bell anymore is Patrick Chan. The Salt Lake Olympics and the recent rule changes have hurt the sport.

CrastersBabies
02-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Loved the opening ceremonies.

Snowstorm
02-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I didn't care for them. I thought it was overdone. Had they trimmed it in half I would have really appreciated it. Except for a (biggesh) hiccup, it did go off well, and for that I'm tickled for Russia.

mirandashell
02-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Just watching the Team Skating. The little Russian girl was just amazing. The most beautiful and technical spins. She went from position to another like she was made of bearings.

Xelebes
02-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Damn, the Dufour-Lapointe sisters just fell short of a filial sweep. Justine wins gold, Chloe wins silver and Maxime fell short in women's moguls.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 03:43 PM
I find it really hard to watch the moguls because I have bad knees. The pressure on their knees just makes me wince!

Jenny Jones got a bronze in the snowboard slope-style! Fantastic! Our first medal in the snowboarding stuff. And she's 30 years old.

Well pleased for her.

angeliz2k
02-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm really enjoying the slope-style snowboarding. The air they get is pretty dang amazing. I really enjoyed Sage Kotsenburg, the guy who won gold last night--he brought some real flare! I was surprised he held his lead because some of the other runs seemed to me to be equally as good. But maybe I'm not the best judge! Maybe the actual judges are the best judge. . . . And I can't complain; I'm always happy to see an American win the gold.

I'm going to echo the sentiments above about ice skating. I recognized a few names--Jeremy Abbot, Patrick Chan--and of course knew Plushenko, but I wouldn't have been able to conjure the names up out of thin air. Same with the ladies, though I was aware of Ashley Wagner because of the pre-Olympic drama there. I also loved the little Russian girl, Lipnitskaya. The ice dancing is super fun, too.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Flipping eck! Plyuschenko has just skated. I thought he'd retired. Did well though.

Oh lor.... the next fella is dancing to Stravinsky. I hate this music.

firedrake
02-09-2014, 07:52 PM
Flipping eck! Plyuschenko has just skated. I thought he'd retired. Did well though.

Oh lor.... the next fella is dancing to Stravinsky. I hate this music.

I see that ice-skating judges haven't changed at all. So blinded by Plyuschenko's technical ability that they failed to see the lack of artistry. The Japanese skater knocked him out of the ball park, IMO.

The snowboarding was brilliant. I loved it!

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Hmmm.... I wasn't that impressed with the Japanese skater. But yeah, he should have come first.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Wow. Yulia Lipnitskaya is an amazing skater. That was beautiful. Well done, little un.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I wish we could go back to Ice Dance the way it used to be. Now it's just Pairs without the throws. <sigh> And yes, I know I keep on about it but it's such a disappointment now.

firedrake
02-09-2014, 09:44 PM
I wish we could go back to Ice Dance the way it used to be. Now it's just Pairs without the throws. <sigh> And yes, I know I keep on about it but it's such a disappointment now.

I dunno, I'm still seeing a lot of dance elements in it (my sister used to be a competitive ice-dance skater). Pairs is more about large boys throwing small girls across the ice. This is still clearly dance to me.

That Russian routine was just beautiful.

Snowstorm
02-09-2014, 09:44 PM
On a lighter note, the Norwegians' curling team is gaining fans simply because of their pants (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/08/norways-curling-team-uniforms-pants_n_4750655.html). They even have a facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/NOCTP) that has more than 500,000 likes! The Olympics are such a huge stressor for athletes and families, I'm really enjoying this lighthearded approach (and that it may provide them with a bit of an edge over their competition).

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I dunno, I'm still seeing a lot of dance elements in it (my sister used to be a competitive ice-dance skater). Pairs is more about large boys throwing small girls across the ice. This is still clearly dance to me.

That Russian routine was just beautiful.

It was but because of the required elements there is a lot less originality in it for me. You go back to something like Bolero or Mack & Mabel and those routines just wouldn't be possible now. They wouldn't be allowed. So for me a lot of the routines nowadays are more same old, same old.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Good lord, they're awful! LOL!

ETA: The Norwegian pants, not the Russians!

firedrake
02-09-2014, 09:59 PM
It was but because of the required elements there is a lot less originality in it for me. You go back to something like Bolero or Mack & Mabel and those routines just wouldn't be possible now. They wouldn't be allowed. So for me a lot of the routines nowadays are more same old, same old.

Aye, that's a fair point. I haven't watched ice dancing for a while, because we were in the US for a few years and their Olympic coverage is utter pants. The required elements do stifle things a little. Ah, Bolero, now that was just amazing...and that pasa doble.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Yes the Paso was fantastic too.

firedrake
02-09-2014, 10:05 PM
Yes the Paso was fantastic too.

I think I preferred that to 'Bolero'.

mirandashell
02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
I know what you mean. But Bolero is the one everyone remembers. Mainly cos it was the first routine to be marked Perfect.

Ah well, they call it progress I suppose.

Shadow Dragon
02-10-2014, 10:41 AM
So, apparently an ABC news team messed up the flag arrangement: http://fansided.com/2014/02/09/sochi-olympics-2014-news-station-fails-medal-count-geography-photo/#!u4C7d

They put the Canadian flag next to Team USA, the Netherland flag next to Canada, and the US flag next to the Netherlands.

Xelebes
02-10-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm hearing about a bit of controversy over in women's slopestyle. A Czech boarder had a nasty tumble and halved her helmet. She was out cold for a minute and then recovered and had attendants instruct her to ski the rest of the way down.

Trying to find an article on it or the name of the boarder but haven't had any luck yet.

Snowstorm
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I watched the czech boarder on TV last night. I heard the announcer (US TV) say [paraphrasing] she insisted on "finishing" under her own power. ETA: link
(http://www.upi.com/blog/2014/02/09/Snowboarder-Sarka-Pancochova-cracks-helmet-in-scary-fall-WATCH/8881391966364/)

mirandashell
02-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm hearing about a bit of controversy over in women's slopestyle. A Czech boarder had a nasty tumble and halved her helmet. She was out cold for a minute and then recovered and had attendants instruct her to ski the rest of the way down.

Trying to find an article on it or the name of the boarder but haven't had any luck yet.

I saw that and they didn't instruct her. She did it herself. She stood up with their help and said she was ok. No-one knew her helmet was busted until she took it off at the bottom.

Xelebes
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I watched the czech boarder on TV last night. I heard the announcer (US TV) say [paraphrasing] she insisted on "finishing" under her own power. I'll see if I can find a link too.

The Canadian post-analysis in this morning was horrified. Didn't catch what the announcer was saying as I don't have access to TV with audio (no cable package at home.)

mirandashell
02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
So, apparently an ABC news team messed up the flag arrangement: http://fansided.com/2014/02/09/sochi-olympics-2014-news-station-fails-medal-count-geography-photo/#!u4C7d

They put the Canadian flag next to Team USA, the Netherland flag next to Canada, and the US flag next to the Netherlands.

It's coming up with a 503 error. Whatever that is. :D

Dreity
02-10-2014, 08:15 PM

I saw that, but sadly I can't remember the boarder's name. It was gut-wrenching to watch. Her head hit the ground and then she was like a rag doll skidding down the hill. Once she came to a stop she started moving again, although she had to have blacked out for at least a few seconds. Was very, very surprised they let her ski down, even if she insisted on it. (Not sure if she actually did or not.)

ETA: You guys are fast! I could see that her helmet was cracked as soon as she sat up. Well, shattered, really.

mirandashell
02-10-2014, 08:15 PM
The Canadian post-analysis in this morning was horrified. Didn't catch what the announcer was saying as I don't have access to TV with audio (no cable package at home.)

No-one was horrified at the time, not on British TV anyway. And the 3 girls in the medal positions relaxed when they saw her get up.

These things happen in snowboarding. Both of our commentators are involved in the sport and acted like it was bad but it was nothing unusual. And once she stood up and was talking they relaxed.

Xelebes
02-10-2014, 08:30 PM
No-one was horrified at the time, not on British TV anyway. And the 3 girls in the medal positions relaxed when they saw her get up.

These things happen in snowboarding. Both of our commentators are involved in the sport and acted like it was bad but it was nothing unusual. And once she stood up and was talking they relaxed.

Understand that in North America, two sports leagues have faced or are facing huge lawsuits regarding concussions (ice hockey and gridiron football.) There has been a lot of discussion on this issue about having players continue to play after they have had their bell rung and that is why the post-analysis I mention (which wasn't with people in snowboarding, mind you) raising the issue of letting her continue down on the board.

mirandashell
02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Ah I see. Yeah, I'd forgotten about the whole NFL/NHL lawsuit thing. Good job she's Czech then!

veinglory
02-10-2014, 08:56 PM
I agreed with the announcers that the Czech should have scored much higher on her first run. It seems like the judges were obsessed with perfect landings rather than the difficulty of the trick. They seemed to score differently from the mens event?

The Kiwi rider also went down but not as badly, so of course our press is saying the course was too dangerous.

Xelebes
02-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Just caught a glimpse of the Canada-Finland women's game. Great to see such rapid development of women's hockey in Finland. They are really making the Canucks sweat!

mirandashell
02-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Quite a few countries have put money into the women's hockey for this Olympics. The Russian women are expected to win by the Russian public for that reason.

I'm watching the curling. Both the GB men and women have lost to the Swedes today. But then they are the top teams.

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Watched Bilodeau become the second Canadian to repeat with gold (after the recently retired Catriona Le May Doan). Did a couple spectacular helicopters on the mogul jumps and earned a convincing 5.4% edge over the Canadian with silver. We almost swept the moguls but oh well.

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Oh my! Caught the Russian speedskater who after her win in a race was about to rock her Joe Thornton out, but quickly realised she had nothing underneath her suit and quickly did an awkward recovery.

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 01:11 AM
About to rock her what?

mjd88
02-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Oh my! Caught the Russian speedskater who after her win in a race was about to rock her Joe Thornton out, but quickly realised she had nothing underneath her suit and quickly did an awkward recovery.

Hahahahaha this reference is amazing.

For those who don't follow hockey: see this (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/joe-thornton-four-goal-game-celebration-probably-better-195736956--nhl.html).

Snowstorm
02-11-2014, 06:14 PM
The Bilodeau family (Alex won the moguls gold two Olympics in a row (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/moguls-alex-bilodeau-brother-gold-medal/)) is inspiring. Alex's older brother Frederic has cerebral palsy. Last night NBC played a video of the family. Watching this family warms my heart!

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Hahahahaha this reference is amazing.

For those who don't follow hockey: see this (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/joe-thornton-four-goal-game-celebration-probably-better-195736956--nhl.html).

But wouldn't she find that difficult?

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
But wouldn't she find that difficult?

Nah, one is a galline, the other is a pair of sulines. They are all birds to rock out.

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about......

Suline is a language of one of the First Nations, isn't it? How is that the opposite of a chicken?

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about......

Suline is a language of one of the First Nations, isn't it? How is that the opposite of a chicken?

No, a suline is a booby. A galline is a chicken.

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Is it? hmmm.... Google let me down on that one then.

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Is it? hmmm.... Google let me down on that one then.

Genus: Sula
Family: Sulidae (gannets and boobies.)
Order: Suliformes (frigatebirds, gannets, boobies, cormorants, shags, and darters.)

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Hmm... ok. Thank you.

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Anyway..... to get back on topic....

Canada are doing pretty well in the curling so far.

Jersey Chick
02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
heh. Xelebes said boobies. :)

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
heh. Xelebes said boobies. :)

D'oh!

mirandashell
02-11-2014, 11:29 PM
I'm watching the curling from earlier and (spoiler) I've just seen a 7 scored in one end. Never seen that before!

Xelebes
02-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Haven't caught the curling. Was watching the short program figure skating. The Russians are looking to be the ones to beat after the qualifying round. Can you rep me who got the seven in one end? Womens or mens?

angeliz2k
02-12-2014, 02:32 AM
Crud. I accidentally saw a spoiler. I've been trying to not learn results before watching the prime-time NBC coverage, but . . . I saw that Shaun White failed to medal and am very disappointed. I love Shaun White and now I'm not sure I can watch tonight! Damn.

ETA: Un-spoilered because this was shown on US TV last night. Still majorly bummed. I feel like Shaun White probably needs a big ole hug right now.

Snowstorm
02-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Poor Bob Costas. (He's our TV anchorman for US viewers.) I knew something was up when I saw him wearing glasses. Sure, enough he got pink eye in his left eye. Now it's spread to his right. He's being replaced for Matt Lauer for a time until Costas heals up. I really like him as an anchor.

Jersey Chick
02-12-2014, 03:56 AM
Bob Costas is a hot mess right now. But I'd still rather listen to him (he who I've dubbed "Captain Obvious") than Matt Lauer.

NBC already spoiled the snowboarding for me. That's the problem with the Olympics being held so far away from the US - I always find out who won/lost ahead of time, no matter how hard I try not to. Rats.

mirandashell
02-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm really enjoying listening to the curling at the moment. The GB / Canada women are having a right tussle!

Xelebes
02-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Caught the tenth end on the webstream before I went to work. I was surprised by how many flashes were thrown. That is not what we usually see from the Canadian rink. Of course the officials had to really stuff it up for Britain. I have to commend Britain going for the triple-takeout with their hammer to take three, but not when you only need to take out one for the double.

mirandashell
02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Spoiler: Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about that as well. We need the wins against the big teams.

Xelebes
02-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Just heard on the news that there will be bars open in town for those us who want to watch the gold medal game in men's hockey, serving alcohol. That is, they will open up their bars at 5 am.

mirandashell
02-12-2014, 09:42 PM
No rioting, Xel! Be good!

Xelebes
02-13-2014, 12:20 AM
But I totally want to light the skid on fire!

Saw Australia get a medal. Don't know if it was silver or bronze, but it was in the women's half-pipe snowboard.

Xelebes
02-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Norway put good pressure on Canada in men's hockey.

Saw the men's short program in figure skating. The Japan skater was very solid as he set a world record there but Patrick Chan, whose only fault was a bowed-knee landing but did bigger jumps such as the quad, is still very much in the race.

mirandashell
02-15-2014, 05:53 PM
That young Japanese skater won the gold yesterday by default. They all skated like they didn't want to win it.

mirandashell
02-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I love the BBC but sometimes.....

Right now, I have BBC 2 and 2 digital channels showing the Olympics. All 3 channels are showing ice hockey. In fact, 2 of the channnels are showing exactly the same game! WTF BBC?

There's speed skating on!

frimble3
02-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Just heard on the news that there will be bars open in town for those us who want to watch the gold medal game in men's hockey, serving alcohol. That is, they will open up their bars at 5 am.

Yay for Edmonton, and its apparently trustworthy citizens! The B.C. government has already given a thumbs-down to late-openings here for the special occasion. Although they may relent at the last minute?

I am not much of a Winter Olympics fan, but tonight I was watching the CBC highlights, and saw the Winter Games the way they should be: it was snowing, giant flakes pounding down on the biatheletes and the snowboarders. It was magic, it was the way it should be.
Unlike the Vancouver Winter Olympics, where we trucked in show from Alberta. :rant: If you can't get reliable snow, you should stick to the Summer Games.
Oh. I forgot Vancouver's contribution to summer sport: rain. Not that it always rains in Vancouver, but I wouldn't bet an international event against it.

frimble3
02-19-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm really enjoying listening to the curling at the moment. The GB / Canada women are having a right tussle!
And, apparently they're playing each other in the semi-finals today! (Wednesday the 18th here) Good luck to all, and may the best team (on the day) win!

cornflake
02-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Yay for Edmonton, and its apparently trustworthy citizens! The B.C. government has already given a thumbs-down to late-openings here for the special occasion. Although they may relent at the last minute?

I am not much of a Winter Olympics fan, but tonight I was watching the CBC highlights, and saw the Winter Games the way they should be: it was snowing, giant flakes pounding down on the biatheletes and the snowboarders. It was magic, it was the way it should be.
Unlike the Vancouver Winter Olympics, where we trucked in show from Alberta. :rant: If you can't get reliable snow, you should stick to the Summer Games.
Oh. I forgot Vancouver's contribution to summer sport: rain. Not that it always rains in Vancouver, but I wouldn't bet an international event against it.

Dude - at least it DOES snow in Van, and weren't the ski things held up by Whistler?

Sochi is a tropical damn resort. Holding the games there is the height of ridiculous, imo. Most all the snow has been man-made, there are skiiers out in sleevless tops it's been so hot. Ridiculous. I'm all for holding it in Russia or the like, but there are other places, like, say, Moscow, that are genuinely cold in the winter.

frimble3
02-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Dude - at least it DOES snow in Van, and weren't the ski things held up by Whistler?

Sochi is a tropical damn resort. Holding the games there is the height of ridiculous, imo. Most all the snow has been man-made, there are skiiers out in sleevless tops it's been so hot. Ridiculous. I'm all for holding it in Russia or the like, but there are other places, like, say, Moscow, that are genuinely cold in the winter.
Oooh, interesting! As I said, I haven't been paying all that much attention. Why do they make such strange choices? Even if it is all about the money, surely some cold, snowy places have money? Unless the TV cameras can't be allowed to get too cold?

cornflake
02-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Oooh, interesting! As I said, I haven't been paying all that much attention. Why do they make such strange choices? Even if it is all about the money, surely some cold, snowy places have money? Unless the TV cameras can't be allowed to get too cold?

It's not the cameras; this was Putin. He apparently loves Sochi - it's a traditional resort town and theoretically, the hope was that the games would turn it into an international destination.

People bid terrible cities for the games all the time. New York has bid for the summer games and got close the last time. That would have been the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks, yet away they went with a full bid that got to the final round. Go figure. It's less about the best place to hold the games than the multitude of political considerations - where have the games been held recently, who's behind the bid, what the bidding city promises to produce, yada yada.

mirandashell
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
And, apparently they're playing each other in the semi-finals today! (Wednesday the 18th here) Good luck to all, and may the best team (on the day) win!

At the moment it's on a knife edge. It will ever be a total whitewash or a last stone thriller. It's hard to tell right now.

mirandashell
02-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Dearie me.... (hockey spoiler) The Russian men have lost to Finland! Mr Putin will not be pleased!

mirandashell
02-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Two-woman bob spoiler: Well done to the Canadian team! Superb third run.

Snowstorm
02-19-2014, 10:11 PM
I love the BBC but sometimes.....

Right now, I have BBC 2 and 2 digital channels showing the Olympics. All 3 channels are showing ice hockey. In fact, 2 of the channnels are showing exactly the same game! WTF BBC?

There's speed skating on!

That's like here with NBC. The channels show duplicates events, then later on repeat what they showed. Lame.

And there's curling on, I KNOW it!

mirandashell
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
The curling was superb! All four games.

Xelebes
02-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Ugh, the gold medal game in the women's curling was boring to watch. An attritory open game of all knocks, no flashes, no guards, and seldom draws.

mirandashell
02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Ugh, the gold medal game in the women's curling was boring to watch. An attritory open game of all knocks, no flashes, no guards, and seldom draws.

It was, wasn't it? Such a shame after the bronze medal game.

And smirking about winning when the game is still going on isn't very sporting either.....

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Hockey spoiler: Bloody hell! that was a hell of a final. Well done girls!

Xelebes
02-21-2014, 03:34 AM
And smirking about winning when the game is still going on isn't very sporting either.....

Didn't catch the smirking. Jones doing so? That's her poker face!

Jersey Chick
02-21-2014, 04:22 AM
It's not the cameras; this was Putin. He apparently loves Sochi - it's a traditional resort town and theoretically, the hope was that the games would turn it into an international destination.

People bid terrible cities for the games all the time. New York has bid for the summer games and got close the last time. That would have been the clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks, yet away they went with a full bid that got to the final round. Go figure. It's less about the best place to hold the games than the multitude of political considerations - where have the games been held recently, who's behind the bid, what the bidding city promises to produce, yada yada.

Back at the time, I thought it would be fantastic to have the Olympics in NY. Some of the events would have taken place at Rutgers University, which is almost in my backyard.

But after seeing the aggravation that was the Superbowl (and how NYC hogged as much of the festivities as they could, all with the NFL's blessing, while NJ got stuck with most of the bills) I'm ever so glad they didn't get them and I hope they never do.

Sochi was kind of a dumb idea. Moscow would've been better. And the last time they were held there, the US boycotted, so we didn't send athletes.

That said, I'm looking forward to catching some of the figure skating, and a bit disappointed in our hockey team. Three goals in the last three minutes of the game? blech.

DreamWeaver
02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
As a resident of Florida, I confess my secret every-four-years guilty pleasure is watching curling at the Olympics. As such, I find all the matches fascinating, no matter how boring a true connoisseur would think them :D.

I also found the Norwegian men's curling team's pants sideshow to be quite entertaining.

cornflake
02-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Back at the time, I thought it would be fantastic to have the Olympics in NY. Some of the events would have taken place at Rutgers University, which is almost in my backyard.

But after seeing the aggravation that was the Superbowl (and how NYC hogged as much of the festivities as they could, all with the NFL's blessing, while NJ got stuck with most of the bills) I'm ever so glad they didn't get them and I hope they never do.

Sochi was kind of a dumb idea. Moscow would've been better. And the last time they were held there, the US boycotted, so we didn't send athletes.

That said, I'm looking forward to catching some of the figure skating, and a bit disappointed in our hockey team. Three goals in the last three minutes of the game? blech.

What game?! Isn't the game tonight?! *panic*

I couldn't believe the bid kept going and going and going - it struck me as a ludicrous mini mayor vanity project I was so happy they lost. The Superbowl mess made me think about it again too - one event did that, for that long. Can you imagine? I'm pretty sure giant mayor has no such designs so it seems safe for a while, heh.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Didn't catch the smirking. Jones doing so? That's her poker face!

It was when the Swedes had that pick up which totally screwed up their plan for the end. When Jones bent down to take her next shot, she looked up at her third and smirked.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
What game?! Isn't the game tonight?! *panic*

I think JC meant the women's game. That was amazing!

cornflake
02-21-2014, 04:28 PM
I think JC meant the women's game. That was amazing!

Oh, whew, I thought I missed the real game. ;) Let's Go Canada! And right now, let's go Finland!

Jersey Chick
02-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Sorry - I meant the women's game. If the US men lose, I think we're gonna be stuck with Justin Bieber forever.

**NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 06:01 PM
The Canadian men's curling team are very macho and loud, aren't they?

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Oh, whew, I thought I missed the real game. ;)

:guns:

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 06:14 PM
The Canadian men's curling team are very macho and loud, aren't they?

But they are playing like the Chinese, which is a bit odd.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 06:42 PM
Curling spoiler: And we are getting our arses kicked. It's the 7th end and I'm giving up watching it. The Canadians have got themselves in front and now it's just bish bash bosh. No offence Xel, but this is a horrible way to play a sport.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Curling spoiler: And it's done. What a horrible game that was.

Xelebes
02-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Curling spoiler: And we are getting our arses kicked. It's the 7th end and I'm giving up watching it. The Canadians have got themselves in front and now it's just bish bash bosh. No offence Xel, but this is a horrible way to play a sport.

Screw the spoiler, the triple-takeout with two sacrifices before their hammer to take out the stack was an excellent clincher in the eighth end.

But I'm not a fan of the men's game. Way too precise and too often a more open game than women's. The Brier is often like this, unlike the Hearts.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Who are the Brier and the Hearts?

firedrake
02-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Wow.
Those speed skating judges disgust me.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 09:39 PM
I know. It's ridiculous.

Xelebes
02-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Who are the Brier and the Hearts?

The Brier is the biggest curling tournament for the men in Canada.

The Tournament of Hearts is the biggest curling event for the women in Canada.

Xelebes
02-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Wow.
Those speed skating judges disgust me.

Are you refering to the gun gap?

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 09:45 PM
No, I was referring to them penalising Christie when it was the Chinese skater that took her out.

mirandashell
02-21-2014, 09:46 PM
The Brier is the biggest curling tournament for the men in Canada.

The Tournament of Hearts is the biggest curling event for the women in Canada.

Ah right. Thank you.

cornflake
02-21-2014, 11:14 PM
:e2woo: :e2woo: :e2woo:

Xelebes
02-22-2014, 12:25 AM
That was an excellent hockey game. Productivity took a nosedive while we watched. Now for Sunday's game. Going to have to figure out the venue I<m going to watch it. Hopefully there will be something available at Churchill Square here.

DreamWeaver
02-22-2014, 04:44 AM
Just finished watching the curling final. Not as exciting as I might have liked...but then I was already a bit down after the US men lost in hockey :(. (Not sure a spoiler was needed there, but better safe than sorry :D)

mirandashell
02-22-2014, 10:31 PM
4 man bob spoiler: Bad crash for Canada 2. Three of them are walking back. Can't see the 4th. Ah no, there he is! Good. One of them has beard full of ice, bless him.

mirandashell
02-22-2014, 11:05 PM
So..... WTF happened in the ice hockey bronze medal game?

mirandashell
02-23-2014, 02:14 AM
I'm guessing if you're Finnish, you're out celebrating and if you're American you're lying in a dark room with a big drink

Xelebes
02-23-2014, 09:13 AM
I'm guessing if you're Finnish, you're tearing up. The last international game for the Finnish Flash, Teemu Selšnne.

cornflake
02-23-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm guessing if you're Finnish, you're tearing up. The last international game for the Finnish Flash, Teemu Selšnne.

I know, but look, playing into his 60s or whatever is something only Teeeemu and Gordie Howe could do. :)

mirandashell
02-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Final just started.

J.S.F.
03-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Late entry and of course the games have finished, but I was very impressed and extremely stoked by Canada winning 25--count 'em TWENTY-FIVE--medals.

Winners in men's and women's hockey.
Winners in men's and women's curling.

Life doesn't get much better than this.

nighttimer
03-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Show's over in Sochi. Putin's up to his old, passive-aggressive tricks in the Ukraine and Crimea. What happens to an Olympic site once the Olympics are over?

Not much. Pretty much of a ghost town :e2bouncey

Abandon city
Everybody over the side
The hour is late, they're closing the gate, no time to decide
Abandon city
Yeah, you better run for your lives
There's nothing to spare
The cupboard is bare
The bees have all left the hive

~ Utopia/"Abandon City"

So the joint's empty. But the dogs are coming back, so there is that. :hooray:

Pictures are in color. Text is in Russian. (http://blogsochi.ru/content/mertvyi-gorod)

DreamWeaver
03-30-2014, 01:01 AM
Actually, they just finished up the Paralympics. It got semi-decent TV coverage (in other words, some ;)). The wheelchair curling was fun to watch, and the sled hockey was amazing.

But I'm glad the dogs will be less at risk now that things have gone back to normal. Of course, fewer of them will be getting adopted, too, so not ideal. But better than poison and shooting. :(

mirandashell
03-30-2014, 12:15 PM
It got pretty good coverage here, I thought. Channel 4 had it on for a lot of the day. The skiing was amazing to watch.