How many times can you resubmit a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm being nosy. How many times can you resubmit a short story? For instance, if say I had a story published way back in 1987 to a magazine that is no longer in existence and I believe at the time it was for one-time rights or maybe North American rights or something.

Can I resubmit that story again? Get as much mileage out of it I can?

Or is that somehow unethical? Or illegal or something?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Selling stories.

I usually sell my stories to several different countries using the 1st name of country SR. Then I sell online rights. Then there are anthology rights and reprint rights to sell.

James will say you can only sell what an editor will take. True, some editors want 1st SR and anthology rights or online rights and many US editors want North American rights so it's hard to sell to Canada. Yes, and American editors like to be first so market there first then go to the UK and OZ, Can, NZ, SA and the EC. Finish up with online zines.

You can legally and ethically sell your story to several markets and make it earn its keep.

James, I'm away for three weeks so throw the bricks when I get back please.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I'm being nosy. How many times can you resubmit a short story? For instance, if say I had a story published way back in 1987 to a magazine that is no longer in existence and I believe at the time it was for one-time rights or maybe North American rights or something.

Can I resubmit that story again? Get as much mileage out of it I can?

Or is that somehow unethical? Or illegal or something?

As long as you retain reprint rights, and as long as there are magazines wanting the story, there is no limit.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Check the guidelines also - some mags take reprints, some don't. I've sold several stories and an interview more than once, but I've always informed the editor on submission that it had previously been published, and when and where.

Status
Not open for further replies.