Only My Hairdresser Knows For Sure...

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm touching up my hair color this weekend.

What say you?

This: Color (= Dark Auburn)

This: Color (= Dark Brown)

or

This: Color (= Fire Engine Red)

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why not green? You'd get a lot of curious looks. :banana:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Stay away from green. Folks might mistake you for Nymtoc. Even though he has abandoned the avatar, we old folks still think of him as that guy with green hair--s6

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I don't know the first thing about your coloring or your hair, but every time I've tried to go true red, I've been very disappointed. Either the color doesn't stick, or it come out wildly uneven, or it ends up purple.

I have some natural red tones in my hair, so I get the best results if I go with a brown or blonde with reddish tones to it.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Be bold, go RED!

:D

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you have the skin tones to get away with it, I say red. I tried strawberry blonde one time years ago. Looked awful. I'm too tan. Looked totally fake. But I can get away with really light blonde.

MM

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Embrace the silver, Vernie! You have earned it. It is a life changer --first the high heels and hose become Converse sneakers and white cotton socks. Skirts become overalls with a big straw hat, so you don't even have to comb your hair! Once overalls enter your life the cruel diets fade into painful memory. You never grimace over a menu again: "onion rings? Of course. Could you dribble a bit of guacamole over them? French fries AND onion rings? YES! Wasn't I clear?" AND with silver hair and a bit of mock confusion in your voice, you never, ever get a traffic ticket. --s6

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I think it totally depends on the rest of you.

Personally, I :heart: my salt and pepper. I don't look 25, but I'm not, so that's ok--and I don't look like a granny :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Embrace the silver!

... with silver hair and a bit of mock confusion in your voice you never get a traffic ticket.

Hmmmm,

This is starting to sound tempting to me now. :D

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I was back home not long ago, at a community function, and a very nice lady in her 90's sat across from me. By the way she was looking at me, I suspect she spied the few silver hairs that have crept in.

"I knew your grandma(who died long before I was born). And her hair was completely silver before she was thirty-five."

Passing on this information seemed to completely amuse her, too.

Red. I still say red. :D

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Red! Red! Redheads are always feisty and sexy.

Of course, my hair is neon orange, so consider the source. Strangely, I get people stopping me at bus stops or walking along the street, standing in the grocery store lineups or even the old fogies at work, almost daily, saying "I love that colour."

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Verny, ahm warnin' yuh, if'n yuh go ginger, there's gonna be a whole lotta backlash 'gainst them fine folk you call friends, an'...

Why am I talking like Yosemite Sam?

I think it all depends on whether you're fair-skinned or slightly darker. My wife is a hairstylist and she's been trained to suggest different hair colors for ladies of all ages depending on their skin tones. Mind, she's Japanese, and the Kansai area is famous for middle-aged ladies having blue or green-dyed hair...don't ask.

I'd go with brown or even a touch of auburn and red in there. Black, even if it's skillfully done, always looked like magic marker on a middle-aged lady or man (if you are in the mid-fifties and I have no idea if you are or not so don't get angry, 'kay? Okay.)

JMO.

Your friendly middle-aged husband of a hairstylist offering his two yen...