• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writing while ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jango

Pew Pew Pew!
Registered
Reaction score
Urrrrgh.... urrr-hurrrrgh!

I have man flu and it's miserable. I tried working on 3 different writing projects this morning but my brain appears to have been rendered completely incapable of creative thought.

Any suggestions about something productive I can do while ill?!

etherme

Making my own luck
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eriktherme.com
Hmmm ... it seems like there's ALWAYS something I need to be researching ... prop up in bed with a laptop and pour through the internet?

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
*grumble grumble*

I've been sick the past couple of days too. :( I agree with Etherme - I usually set up shop in bed and research. I also take my sick time get inspiration (play games, listen to video game soundtracks, look at my favorite concept artists' work) It makes me feel better AND sometimes gets me writing a little bit.

Also, I've often found I don't write well while I'm feeling blah :p Maybe take the day to rest the ole noggin? Hope you feel better!

*chucks chicken noodle soup at you*

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Health comes first. Don't force yourself into working.

That said... I have two methods when imagination is taking a beating from manflu. 1) Free-writing. Just grab a notepad and scribble whatever comes to mind. It can bring up ideas you never knew you had in you. 2) Working in ultra-short format to expand on when I'm better. Entire paragraphs condensed to a few words, that kind of thing. It's nowhere near as fun or satisfying as proper writing, but it's enough to kick that 'ugh, I should be working!' feel for me.

Hope the illness goes away soon. Get rest and liquids. :)

Jango

Pew Pew Pew!
Registered
Reaction score
*catches soup, reanimates chicken for ethical reasons, inadvertently creates chicken zombie, kills chicken zombie, puts it back in soup, eats soup*

Thanks, all.

I ended up watching terrible films and drinking hot ginger beer (it's so good!) and feeling a lot better for it... though only once I'd done some web design to make myself feel less guilty. :p

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Like others are saying, it's okay to take a break while you're sick. Your body needs to recharge. Might as well let your mind recharge too, so when you're ready to jump back in, you'll be mentally ready too.

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
allow yourself to be free of writing and heal and rest and you will be better for it. I was sick over christmas and didn't write for two weeks. Yes, I was mad at myself for not writing, but also found that when I got back to it, my mind was relaxed and refreshed and I was able to really focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.