PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Publishers

kevinwaynewilliams
02-02-2014, 08:41 PM
One difficulty I'm having with my novel is comments that basically tell me that the reviewing editor/agent wishes I had written a book about a sixteen-year-old white girl from Long Island (and maybe the little sister could be a red-head! With cute freckles!) instead of a nine-year-old black girl from Mott Haven.

So, what I'm looking for are specialty publishers. Somewhere out there is a publisher that's actively looking for genre fiction featuring blacks, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans. Any suggestions?

Corinne Duyvis
02-02-2014, 10:25 PM
If your character is nine, does that mean the book is MG? If so, Tu Books may be a good destination--they publish genre MG and YA with PoC leads--but they're currently closed to submissions: http://www.leeandlow.com/p/tu_submissions.mhtml

If it's adult fiction, I can't help you, I'm afraid.

kevinwaynewilliams
02-02-2014, 11:32 PM
If your character is nine, does that mean the book is MG?

Nope, not MG at all. Think "Lord of the Flies" mixed with zombie fiction.

kevinwaynewilliams
02-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Hmmm .... strikes me as a niche for a publishing cooperative if I can figure out how to contact someone knowledgeable and willing. There's got to be a market for it. When I look for publishers that emphasise black characters, I find an embarrassment of "urban" novels, which seems to be a genre devoted to gang warfare and pimps.

What I don't feel inclined to do is start a niche publisher by myself just because I feel slighted by regular publishers. That seems like a bad business plan.