Passenger on a motorcycle?

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
I know that the correct place for a passenger is on the back, however I wanted to know if it's possible for the passenger to be in front if they're quite a bit shorter? (about a foot difference) I have a scene where my passenger is falling asleep and they don't want her falling off.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Used to see it all the time in Malaysia. Dad driving, small child in front of him, or mum in front of him holding a baby or small child and various iterations.

ETA: You're welcome :)

Last edited:

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, some of them have three kids in front, that's crazy!

Thank you!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's legal in Canada, mind you...

;)

GHO57

Registered
Reaction score
Which bike? (to see if the geometry works at all)

In general; a sleepy passenger at the front suddenly startling awake grabbing your arm to stay on, is the last thing you want happening while driving (the passenger arm grab is why motorcycle people tell you not to grab their shoulders when riding pillion... grab the arm, and they can't turn properly... and you both become organ donors.)

If the passenger manages to actually fall asleep and slumps to the side, you need to be able to hold their weight, and still steer the bike... and you just can't hold much weight sideways while trying to keep your arm static.

It's dangerous. It's far better to put the passenger at the back, and just stop when you feel their grip loosening.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Besides weight distribution and steering geometry issues, there is also the problem with a front-side passenger interfering with the operator using the controls.

The passenger's legs need to go somewhere, and the operator still has to reach the gear-shift and the rear brake pedal. A motorcycle steers at speed by leaning, but at slow speeds you need to turn the handlebars further. The space where they will go is right where the front-side passenger is located.

I ride, and have done several long trips (Northern VA to St Catherines ON) with my wife riding behind me. She nods off all the time when we're on highways and she has yet to fall off. Of course, I ride a Harley-Davidson Electraglide Ultra Limited, so she has a full backrest that cradles her to an extent, and I've got a backrest of my own, so she is held-in in front too.

I wouldn't try sleeping as a passenger on a sport bike...

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend that you check with the motor vehicle authority in the location of your story. Almost all jurisdictions have very specific regulations regarding passenger accommodation requirements (seats, footrests, etc.) and riding gear (helmets, footwear, protective clothing). Ascertain what rules were in place at the time of your story; remember that regulations change with time.