PDA

View Full Version : 20K Down, 40 More to Go

tatygirl90
02-02-2014, 06:34 AM
In mid January I achieved the first 20K of my first book. Before this I had never written that much on one thing. I had an unfinished novella sitting at 15K and various attempts lying around. I am not being dramatic when I say I thought I would never get this far.

But I have. I currently have 27K and I've officially hit 100 pages and the first act of my story has been written. I just feel so excited. I had started and stopped several times before on this book but I bit the bullet and kept at it and I actually enjoy writing it now that I'm getting to the meat of the story.

So the moral of this story is keep at. Eventually you'll make it or at least you can say you tried haha.

Siri Kirpal
02-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Cool! Keep Up!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

tatygirl90
02-02-2014, 04:59 PM
:D Thank you!

Persei
02-02-2014, 05:21 PM
:partyguy:

Keep going gurl :D

Phaeal
02-03-2014, 10:37 PM
CGs and ever onwards!

tatygirl90
02-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Thank you guys! I swear it feels exhilarating to have this much haha.

Ice_Twin
02-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Wow congratulations :D What's your novel about?

nashsummers
02-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Congratulations!
I'm in the same boat, having just today finished my 20k for my novel I'm writing.
It feels like the last 40k will take forever!

tatygirl90
02-08-2014, 07:34 AM
@Ice Twin. It's a young adult queer romance focusing on the protagonist's burgeoning feelings for her friend and her dealing with her own family issues including a strained relationship with her mother and her parents deteriorating relationship.

@nashsummers Keep going! I know we both can do it. We just have to take one step at a time. Write a certain amount each day and then bam it'll be done! At least the first draft will be anyway haha.

TheAvidReader
02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Congratulations! I'm in a similar place in terms of being the farthest along that I've ever been - it's an amazing feeling!

I completely agree with setting a daily goal for your word count and just sticking with it, no matter what. I just decided to do this myself yesterday and I already feel just a little bit more disciplined for having set a minimum daily word count. I went with 500 - I figured I can always do more if I'm having a good day, but there really shouldn't be *any* days that I can't get at least 500 words into the page.

Good luck with the remaining 40k! If you got this far, you can get the rest of the way.

tatygirl90
02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Congratulations! I'm in a similar place in terms of being the farthest along that I've ever been - it's an amazing feeling!

I completely agree with setting a daily goal for your word count and just sticking with it, no matter what. I just decided to do this myself yesterday and I already feel just a little bit more disciplined for having set a minimum daily word count. I went with 500 - I figured I can always do more if I'm having a good day, but there really shouldn't be *any* days that I can't get at least 500 words into the page.

Good luck with the remaining 40k! If you got this far, you can get the rest of the way.

I find it's the best way for me to get work done because otherwise I start to get overwhelmed with the sheer amount that I need to write. So I break it down into little amounts.