PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Crossword #13 [Completed]

HarryHoskins
02-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Here (http://www.hoskinscrosswords.com/introduction.html) is a link to an in-depth cryptic crossword solving guide.

Here (http://tvmanagement.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ec4499bf970b0133ed89acc3970b-800wi) is a link demonstrating my competency as a crossword setter.

Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282864), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281370), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279890), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278353), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276767), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274923), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272943), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271205), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269340), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267430), Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264303), and Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262785) are links to my previous on-site crosswords (full answers and parsings in or around the last posts).

Here is a crossword grid:

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/fag_zpsb7c62b77.png

Here are some clues (see below for larger font):

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/fac_zpsd04667ce.pnghttp://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/fdc_zpsd165539a.png

Here are the same clues in the forums regular font

Across

1 It might be lower around sailor in draught (5,6)

7 Demand in document sounded off (9)

12 No issues are raised in this state (13)

13 Lunatic stops to insult people out of habit (7)

14 That which'll help scramble a chopper? (9)

15 Rock listened to by one in juvenile phase (5)

16 Bob loses head in scrap (5)

17 This'll strike a chord with picked on individuals (8)

19 Clobber put on Catholic to stop quick sex (8,4)

21 Woman with short stockings? Hallelujah! (7)

23 Number one in Panama with disc: 'Hot love at last' (6)

25 A right girly girl (6)

27 One that'll wash foot residue to astound many in church (10)

28 At trial, cop produced an exhibit that confused spectators (7,3)

31 Strictly's clever to host follies regularly (6)

33 It records what one's doing on Broadway (6)

34 Jeers at unchecked vanity in top player's comeback (7)

37 On which bums may have free movement (7,5)

39 Again arouse and arouse again (8)

42 Deputy taken aback by abrupt agent's brainteaser (5)

43 Big nob straddling the crack of Dawn or small part? (5)

44 An increase of volume as soccer end erupts (9)

46 Middle-Eastern starter of arak and coffee (7)

47 Strict parent starts to instruct tot born in early-April (13)

48 Remove the tail of garnished fish in the house style, say (5,4)

49 If this artery clogs, it might make you late (7,4)

Down

1 Rhythm track that's laid down in the 'hood? (5,4)

2 Local turning up to collect wedding band and broach (5,2)

3 Without clothes, girl welcomed a gentle poke (5)

4 Indissoluble elixir can't be drunk (12)

5 Flower taking knight's fancy (6)

6 Stinker in toilet honks at first - ventilate with movable seat? (10)

7 Apples and pears, say, dropping small leaves (7)

8 Prison veto raising internal security for grass (8)

9 Deny organ in operation for bisexual? (9)

10 Get the wrong idea about short girl beneath rostrum (13)

11 Heretical kids even institutionalized one in depression (11)

18 Arsenal fan losing heart - he's doomed (5)

20 Petty officer reflected about weight after surgery (4-2)

22 Dead bull and horse ground into bone (8,5)

24 First-class advice from Spooner? (6)

26 I'd be very wise to shake lofty perspective (5,3,4)

27 Pacey striker that'll ensure quick promotion? (4,7)

29 East End school what's launched in Bow (5)

30 Croatian munches pig in cream and little bird? (10)

32 Cut wood, about one branch - not a thousand, for organization (9)

35 Star initially offers in spring to build conservatory (3,6)

36 Jazz fan reflected during very choppy performance (8)

38 Hunt for queer monthly at the bottom of wardrobe (7)

40 Criminal vocally starts to taunt insane killer in raft (3,4)

41 In Karahi pot, cook up seafood (6)

45 Frantic shout about good-for-nothing robbing banks (5)

Note on potential ease of access problems

If there's anything I can do to make the xwd more accessible, please let me know either in thread or by PM and I'll do my best to make it happen.

Here is some information:

Complete the crossword by posting answers in this thread.

I'll endeavour to update the grid and respond to answers at least twice daily.

The grid mostly follows XWD conventions from The Times, though occasionally things might be a little more lib in style or content.

Feel free to tell me how I could've done it better/what I got wrong.

I'll post a new crossword on the first of each month until people get bored/stop playing.

Here are some guidelines:

Try to have fun.

Answer up to five clues a day (if you go for 5 and only get 3 right, then feel free to have another 2 goes)

Work together or on your own.

Bemoan the clues.

It's encouraged (but not necessary) to parse the clues when answering as it'll help me learn where I am going wrong/right.

Discussion of clue construction is also encouraged, but not necessary.

I may bump the thread occasionally if it drops off the radar, but I'll let it die if no-one gives it a crack after 7 days.

Try to have fun.

Here is a plea:

Don't shout at me too much if you find I've messed something up--instead, tell me where I went wrong.

Here's where you take over:

Good luck :)

alexaherself
02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Ooh, is it February already? Thanks, Harry. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-026.gif

And a happy Chinese New Year to all solvers, and our setter.

Just to set the ball rolling ...

26 Down must be birds eye view: "to shake" is the anagram indicator; "I'd be very wise" is the fodder; "lofty perspective" is the definition.

34 Across will be derides: "jeers at" (definition); "top player's comeback" is DEES ("seed" reversed) and the "unchecked vanity", inside it is therefore "RID" but I'm not sure why. It's perhaps something like "ride" without the E, or "grid" without the G, or something along those lines? Maybe "pride" missing both its first and last letters? That's not bad: "pride" is "vanity" but I don't quite know why "unchecked" means "topped and tailed"? :o

alexaherself
02-01-2014, 08:54 PM
29 Down: arrow - launched from bow, and East-End-ish pronunciation of "Harrow" (school), dropping the "H".

alexaherself
02-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I think 28 Across is going to be optical art? Anagram of "at trial cop", so "produced" is the anagram indicator and the definition is "an exhibit that confused spectators"? (Not sure why "confused" rather than "confuses", but also not 100% certain I've got it right anyway?).

alexaherself
02-01-2014, 09:00 PM
And 10 Down must be misunderstand: "short girl" is MISS missing her last letter, and then "under stand" is beneath rostrum. "Get the wrong idea about" is the definition.

HarryHoskins
02-02-2014, 12:07 AM
And a happy Chinese New Year to all solvers, and our setter.

Happy Chinese year to all, too - one can never have enough opportunities to regret everything one's done in the past and promise they'll be better this time around, IMHO. :)

26 Down must be birds eye view: "to shake" is the anagram indicator; "I'd be very wise" is the fodder; "lofty perspective" is the definition.

Bang on!

34 Across will be derides: "jeers at" (definition); "top player's comeback" is DEES ("seed" reversed) and the "unchecked vanity", inside it is therefore "RID" but I'm not sure why. It's perhaps something like "ride" without the E, or "grid" without the G, or something along those lines? Maybe "pride" missing both its first and last letters? That's not bad: "pride" is "vanity" but I don't quite know why "unchecked" means "topped and tailed"? :o

Nice moves, Alexa!

Unchecked is an edgicator - ala, unlimited, unrestrained etc. :)

29 Down: arrow - launched from bow, and East-End-ish pronunciation of "Harrow" (school), dropping the "H".

Smooth moves!

I think 28 Across is going to be optical art? Anagram of "at trial cop", so "produced" is the anagram indicator and the definition is "an exhibit that confused spectators"? (Not sure why "confused" rather than "confuses", but also not 100% certain I've got it right anyway?).

Well seen!

With regard to 'confused vs confuses' that would be my poor grammar. I wanted to have 'confuses', but the past tense of 'produced' made me wonder if it was kosher in the sentence as a whole. I think it is, but wasn't sure and felt that the past tense worked in the def as optical art was most famous in the 60s - but I might be talking out my fundamental, there. :)

And 10 Down must be misunderstand: "short girl" is MISS missing her last letter, and then "under stand" is beneath rostrum. "Get the wrong idea about" is the definition.

Perfectly parsed! :)

Steve Coate
02-02-2014, 09:43 AM
39 across: Reawaken

alexaherself
02-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Hi Steve, good one. :)

35 Down: sun lounge. Star = sun; initially offers = o; spring = lunge; to build = instructional; conservatory = definition. Not as easy as it looks, because at first one expects the initial S to be from "stae initially".

44 Across: crescendo. An increase of volume = definition; soccer end = anagram fodder; erupts = anagram indicator.

47 Across: authoritarian. Strict = definition; born in early April = Arian (don't know about the hyphen, there?); "parent starts to instruct tot" must be "AUTHORIT" but I have no idea why. I had been looking for a "p" from "parent starts". :o

45. Down might be crazy. Frantic could be the definition; shout = "cry"; about = surroundicator; and that means that "good-for-nothing robbing banks" has to be AZ for some reason? Well, "banks" can be like "edges" and A and Z are the edges of the alphabet, but that still doesn't account for much of the clue ... :o

HarryHoskins
02-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Hey Steve :)

39 across: Reawaken

Nice moves!

39a - REAWAKEN (charade)

Again arouse and arouse again (8)

again - RE
arouse - AWAKEN
and - equivalancicator
arouse again - def

(RE)(AWAKEN)

HarryHoskins
02-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Hi Steve, good one. :)

35 Down: sun lounge. Star = sun; initially offers = o; spring = lunge; to build = instructional; conservatory = definition. Not as easy as it looks, because at first one expects the initial S to be from "star initially".

Well played! :)

With regard to the position of the initialicator - I think it makes more sense after the fodder in this case, but I think it passes muster in the current position (though I'd be happy to be proved wrong). :)

44 Across: crescendo. An increase of volume = definition; soccer end = anagram fodder; erupts = anagram indicator.

Spot on!

47 Across: authoritarian. Strict = definition; born in early April = Arian (don't know about the hyphen, there?); "parent starts to instruct tot" must be "AUTHORIT" but I have no idea why. I had been looking for a "p" from "parent starts". :o

Smooth moves!

Yup - that hyphen is a typo. :)

47a - AUTHORITARIAN (charade + initials)

Strict parent starts to instruct tot born in early April (13)

strict - DEF
parent - AUTHOR
starts to - initialicator
instruct - I
tot - T
born in early april - ARIAN

(AUTHOR)(I)(T)(ARIAN)

45. Down might be crazy. Frantic could be the definition; shout = "cry"; about = surroundicator; and that means that "good-for-nothing robbing banks" has to be AZ for some reason? Well, "banks" can be like "edges" and A and Z are the edges of the alphabet, but that still doesn't account for much of the clue ... :o

Nicely done, Alexa! :)

45d - CRAZY (surround + edge)

Frantic shout about good-for-nothing robbing banks (5)

frantic - DEF
shout - CRY
about - surroundicator
good-for-nothing - LAZY
robbing banks - edgicator

(CR(-l(AZ)-y)Y)

alexaherself
02-02-2014, 05:27 PM
parent - AUTHOR

Obvious when you see it. :o

good-for-nothing - LAZY

Ah yes, I see - difficult, though. I hadn't got quite as far as putting "robbing" with "banks" and seen that AZ was a word missing its first and last letters. Something quite similar caught me out last month or the month before, too, I think? Some are slow learners ... :o

alexaherself
02-02-2014, 05:35 PM
41 Down: octopi. Reverse runner: In Karahi pot cooks; up = reversicator; seafood = definition.

alexaherself
02-02-2014, 05:45 PM
And my last for today: 40 Down: Kon Tiki. Raft = definition (solution is "by example"); Kon is criminal vocally (sounds like "con"); starts - first-lettericator of more than one word - Taunt Insane Killer In.

HarryHoskins
02-02-2014, 07:45 PM
41 Down: octopi. Reverse runner: In Karahi pot cooks; up = reversicator; seafood = definition.

Perfectly parsed, Alexa! :)

I did wonder about the fairness of seafood/octopi rather than octopus.

And my last for today: 40 Down: Kon Tiki. Raft = definition (solution is "by example"); Kon is criminal vocally (sounds like "con"); starts - first-lettericator of more than one word - Taunt Insane Killer In.

Bang on! :)

Steve Coate
02-03-2014, 02:03 AM
:hi:

46 across: Turkish (Turkish arak, Turkish coffee)

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 08:30 PM
4 Down: inextricable. Indissoluble = efinition; drunk = anagram indicator; elixir can't be = fodder.

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
12 Across: I'm wondering whether it might be childlessness? :tongue

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 08:37 PM
49 Across looks too like Railway Line not to ask ... it might you make you late if there's a hold-up/clog-up, I suppose? Maybe it can be an artery, if a motorway can be?

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
7 Across: declaimed. Sounded off = definition; demand = claim; in = inserticator; document = deed.

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM
And I suppose I'll have to try dissentient for 11 down, just because it can mean "heretical", and it fits, and the letters don't look bad - though I've been looking at the rest of clue for a while without getting anywhere ... :o

HarryHoskins
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
:hi:

46 across: Turkish (Turkish arak, Turkish coffee)

It's a better idea than mine - but you're shooting wide with this one. :)

HarryHoskins
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
4 Down: inextricable. Indissoluble = efinition; drunk = anagram indicator; elixir can't be = fodder.

Spot on!

(Apologies for the def on this one - was a tough clue to clue)

12 Across: I'm wondering whether it might be childlessness? :tongue

Nicely done!

(Issues = children)

49 Across looks too like Railway Line not to ask ... it might you make you late if there's a hold-up/clog-up, I suppose? Maybe it can be an artery, if a motorway can be?

Nailed it!

Yup - I think artery can be applied to any channel of movement. :)

7 Across: declaimed. Sounded off = definition; demand = claim; in = inserticator; document = deed.

Perfectly parsed!

And I suppose I'll have to try dissentient for 11 down, just because it can mean "heretical", and it fits, and the letters don't look bad - though I've been looking at the rest of clue for a while without getting anywhere ... :o

Works for me! :)

Bad clue this one - here's the parse:

[u]11d - DISSENTIENT (odd/even insertion)

Heretical kids even institutionalized one in depression (11)

heretical - def
kids - fodder
even - odd/evenicator
institutionalized - SENT
one - I
in - inserticator
depression - DENT

(D(-k(I)-d(S)(SENT)(I)(ENT)

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM
depression - DENT

Ah yes, should have seen this: I'd been looking for things like "dip" for a while, too. :o

institutionalized - SENT

This one is over my head, at the moment (should wear higher heels, to do these ...).

Issues = children

Mmmmm ... nearly commented, here (would much prefer "issue" - that's the legal term for the plural as well, I think, in wills and so on?).

Xelebes
02-03-2014, 10:57 PM

The Croatian here is leaving me with either Dalmatian or someone from Split. I can't remember the capital. I think Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia. :(

alexaherself
02-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Zagreb is the capital, I think. (Yes, Ljubljana is definitely in Slovenia).

Parametric
02-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Harry! :D

21 across, "hosanna". Woman (Anna) with short stockings (hos[e])? Hallelujah (hosanna)!

3 down, "nudge". Without clothes (nude), girl welcomed (add g) a gentle poke (nudge).

8 down, "cannabis"? Prison (can, as in "in the can") veto (n) raising internal security (?) for grass (cannabis).

Does that make 15 across, one in juvenile phase, "larva"?

I'm tickled to think that 18 down may be "goner"! An Arsenal fan is a Gunner, and if one's doomed, does that make them a goner? :D

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey, X :)

The Croatian here is leaving me with either Dalmatian or someone from Split. I can't remember the capital. I think Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia. :(

The def's at the other end. :)

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 12:51 AM

One of the Times setter's recently clue Ljubljana - brave chap/chapess. Unfortunately I can't recall the clue, but it was rather good considering the letter string!

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Hey, Para! Good to see you. :)

Harry! :D

21 across, "hosanna". Woman (Anna) with short stockings (hos[e])? Hallelujah (hosanna)!

Perfectly parsed!

3 down, "nudge". Without clothes (nude), girl welcomed (add g) a gentle poke (nudge).

Spot on!

D8 down, "cannabis"? Prison (can, as in "in the can") veto (n) raising internal security (?) for grass (cannabis).

Bingo!

Veto = BAN reversed (though i think the reversicator in that tense/position may be incorrect). IS is an abbreviation of internal security.

Does that make 15 across, one in juvenile phase, "larva"?

It does! :)

Homophone LAVA/LARVA

I'm tickled to think that 18 down may be "goner"! An Arsenal fan is a Gunner, and if one's doomed, does that make them a goner? :D

Nice work - especially as I've dropped a clanger here ...

Gooner is a term for an Arsenal fan (derived from gunner as you say) - but my poor and booze-addled brain has miscalculated the number of letters in the word and so the hearticator is somewhat inaccurate - apologies. :)

alexaherself
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
6 Down: wheelchair. Stinker = heel (old-fashioned, as in "he's a real heel"); in = inserticator; toilet = WC; honks at first = H; ventilate = air; moveable seat = definition.

9 Down: androgyne. Deny organ = fodder; in operation = anagram indicator; bisexual = definition.

16 Across: ounce. Don't quite understand this one but I remember from another crossword that "ounce" is a snow leopard or something? Bob is a cat ("bobcat"), so that's perhaps the definition? The "loses head in scrap" is something missing its first letter? So it could be (for example) "pounce" without the P, which (maybe) means something like "scrap" (as a verb???).

13 Across: nudists (people out of "habit"), but I don't know about the rest of the clue. "Dis(s)" might be "insult"?

19 Across has to be chastity belt. Not quite sure why, but it seems about right? :o

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 04:55 PM
6 Down: wheelchair. Stinker = heel (old-fashioned, as in "he's a real heel"); in = inserticator; toilet = WC; honks at first = H; ventilate = air; moveable seat = definition.

Perfectly Parsed! :)

9 Down: androgyne. Deny organ = fodder; in operation = anagram indicator; bisexual = definition.[/quote]

Bang on!

16 Across: ounce. Don't quite understand this one but I remember from another crossword that "ounce" is a snow leopard or something? Bob is a cat ("bobcat"), so that's perhaps the definition? The "loses head in scrap" is something missing its first letter? So it could be (for example) "pounce" without the P, which (maybe) means something like "scrap" (as a verb???).

Nice moves!

Yup - scrap for ounce as the def 'a small amount'.

16a - OUNCE (subtration)

Bob loses head in scrap (5)

bob - BOUNCE
loses head - headicator
in - definicator
scrap - def

(-b(OUNCE)

13 Across: nudists (people out of "habit"), but I don't know about the rest of the clue. "Dis(s)" might be "insult"?

Well played!

13a - NUDISTS (insertion)

Lunatic stops to insult people out of habit (7)

lunatic - NUTS
stops - inserticator
to insult - DIS (alt spelling of diss)
people out of habit - def

(NU(DIS)TS)

19 Across has to be chastity belt. Not quite sure why, but it seems about right? :o

Bingo! :)

It's an &lit, so the whole surface is definition as well as wordplay. Here's the parse:

19a - CHASTITY BELT (&lit)

Clobber put on Catholic to stop quick sex (8,4)

clobber - BELT
put on - posicator (put on the end of)
catholic - C
to stop - inserticator
quick - HASTY
sex - IT

(BELT)(C)(HAST(IT)Y)

Parametric
02-04-2014, 05:04 PM
9 Down: androgyne. Deny organ = fodder; in operation = anagram indicator; bisexual = definition.

Bang on!

What? Bisexuality and androgyny are totally different. Bisexuality refers to a sexual attraction to both genders, while androgyny is about appearing neither especially male nor especially female. None of my bisexual friends are androgynous. :tongue

7 down, "deserts". Apples and pears, say (desserts), dropping small (take out s) leaves (deserts). This clue almost foxed me because it appears to be Cockney rhyming slang, but isn't.

27 down, "fast forward". Pacy striker (fast forward) that'll ensure quick promotion (fast forward)?

alexaherself
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
bob - BOUNCE

Ah, I see: I got this one for the wrong reasons, then. Nothing to do with bobcat at all (though choice was limited, with O _ N _ E)? :D :o

stops - inserticator

Ah, I see - in the same sense as "edges"/"provides the beginning and end of"?

quick - HASTY

Yes, of course: that's the bit I'd missed. :o

Bisexuality and androgyny are totally different.

Indeed so ... I decided to "let that go", thinking that "bisexual" in the sense of "having characteristics of both genders" (i.e. rather than any equating of sexual attraction, per se, with andogyny) was the intended meaning, which seemed ok for a cryptic one?

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
What? Bisexuality and androgyny are totally different. Bisexuality refers to a sexual attraction to both genders, while androgyny is about appearing neither especially male nor especially female. None of my bisexual friends are androgynous. :tongue

Indeed so ... I decided to "let that go", thinking that "bisexual" in the sense of "having characteristics of both genders" (i.e. rather than any equating of sexual attraction, per se, with andogyny) was the intended meaning, which seemed ok for a cryptic one?

So - this clue caused me a shed load of problems because of the definition because I couldn't see it making sense - however, rightly or wrongly, I went from the dictionaries where Chamber's def for Androgyne is:

"A Hermaphrodite"

Word web pro has one def as:

"One having both male and female sexual characteristics and organs; at birth an unambiguous assignment of male or female cannot be made"

and the SOED:

"An androgynous individual"

and one of the SOED's defs for androgynous is:

"Uniting the (physical) characters of both sexes; hermaphrodite.

So I had to find a synonym for the term and for Bisexual as an adjective, Chamber's def is:

"A Hermaphrodite"

The SOED has one def as:

"Of two sexes; having both sexes in one individual;"

So, basically, I figured that - according to the dictionaries - bisexual worked as an, er, straight synonym. There are other meanings and defs too and it may possibly depend of whether one uses the term as a noun or adjective - and, in what context. And, of course, language doesn't live in a dictionary so the dictionary isn't the be all and end all - but hopefully I provided an accurate def according to it.

Having said that, I'm happy to be proved wrong if I've misread/not understood things. :)

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 06:37 PM
7 down, "deserts". Apples and pears, say (desserts), dropping small (take out s) leaves (deserts). This clue almost foxed me because it appears to be Cockney rhyming slang, but isn't.

Perfectly parsed, Para :)

27 down, "fast forward". Pacy striker (fast forward) that'll ensure quick promotion (fast forward)?

Smooth moves!

The promotion is an advert rather than promotion to a higher league. :)

HarryHoskins
02-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Ah, I see - in the same sense as "edges"/"provides the beginning and end of"?

Yup, I think so - 'stops' and 'blocks' can both be used in this way - and go both ways:

As inserticator - the fodder blocks up that it's being inserted into
As a cointainicator - the fodder is being blocked from escape by the container

Xelebes
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM

Thank you. The only capitals I can remember from the Former Yugoslavia are Sarajevo and Belgrade (and I sometimes put Sarajevo in Serbia.)

alexaherself
02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
17 Across: arpeggio ("chord" played one note at a time?)

2 Down: bring up. "Broach" = definition; Local = pub; turning up = reversed; to collect = inserticator; wedding band = ring/

1 Across: cabin window. It = definition; lower = cow (it "lows"); ab = sailor (able seaman); around = containicator; in = in; draught = wind.

1 Down: cycle path. Rhythm = cycle; track = path; not sure about the rest. :o

5 Down: desire. Flower = Dee (river, i.e. flows); taking = containicator; knight = sir; fancy (noun) = definition.

Parametric
02-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Great work! You were several steps ahead of me. :)

14 across, "eggbeater"? That'll help scramble (eggbeater) a chopper?

25 across, Jessie. A right girly girl. Jessie is a girl's name and a person who is girly is a jessie.

alexaherself
02-05-2014, 04:44 PM
a person who is girly is a jessie.

Ah, well done: I didn't know that. I was wondering about Jessie and Nessie and even "Lessee" (a "right", but not quite?). :o

Yes, eggbeater is a helicopter. :)

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 12:55 AM
17 Across: arpeggio ("chord" played one note at a time?)

Well played!

Yup - the notes of the chord are picked out in rapid succession - surface misdirect to bullying.

2 Down: bring up. "Broach" = definition; Local = pub; turning up = reversed; to collect = inserticator; wedding band = ring/

Perfectly parsed!

1 Across: cabin window. It = definition; lower = cow (it "lows"); ab = sailor (able seaman); around = containicator; in = in; draught = wind.

Spot on! :)

1 Down: cycle path. Rhythm = cycle; track = path; not sure about the rest. :o

Nice moves!

'that's laid down in the 'hood' is the unsatisfactory def.

5 Down: desire. Flower = Dee (river, i.e. flows); taking = containicator; knight = sir; fancy (noun) = definition.

Bang on!

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 12:55 AM
Great work! You were several steps ahead of me. :)

14 across, "eggbeater"? That'll help scramble (eggbeater) a chopper?

Well played! :)

25 across, Jessie. A right girly girl. Jessie is a girl's name and a person who is girly is a jessie.

Bang on!

Parametric
02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Ah, well done: I didn't know that. I was wondering about Jessie and Nessie and even "Lessee" (a "right", but not quite?). :o

Commonly heard in the phrase, "You big jessie!" :D

Xelebes
02-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Decrypting only a half of 27a: FLOORPLANS

Parametric
02-06-2014, 01:19 AM
20 down, "post-op". Petty officer (PO) reflected about weight (stone = st) after surgery (definition). (PO) (ST) (OP).

Parametric
02-06-2014, 01:27 AM
36 down, "staccato". Jazz fan (cat - had to look this up) reflected during very (so) choppy performance (definition). (S (TAC) (CAT) O).

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Decrypting only a half of 27a: FLOORPLANS

First half good. Second half bad. :)

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 03:14 AM
20 down, "post-op". Petty officer (PO) reflected about weight (stone = st) after surgery (definition). (PO) (ST) (OP).

36 down, "staccato". Jazz fan (cat - had to look this up) reflected during very (so) choppy performance (definition). (S (TAC) (CAT) O).

Perfectly parsed, Para! :)

Yup - I went a bit overboard with my new construction toy. :D

Parametric
02-06-2014, 03:23 AM
First half good. Second half bad. :)

Ah-ha!

27 across, "floorcloth". One that'll wash foot residue (floorcloth) to astound (floor) many in church (people of the cloth).

Tada?

Parametric
02-06-2014, 03:29 AM
Let's float another possibility.

46 across, "arabica". Middle-Eastern (Arab) starter of arak and (?) coffee (definition). Arabica is a type of coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffea_arabica).

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Ah-ha!

27 across, "floorcloth". One that'll wash foot residue (floorcloth) to astound (floor) many in church (people of the cloth).

Tada?

Bingo! :)

The second half of the parse is:

many LOT [in] church [CH]

I think I'm on the edge of things for the first synonym here as it should, technically, be A LOT.

Let's float another possibility.

46 across, "arabica". Middle-Eastern (Arab) starter of arak and (?) coffee (definition). Arabica is a type of coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffea_arabica).

Spot on! :)

I have Arabic for Middle-Eastern and the, er, and, is an equivalency link.

Parametric
02-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Awesome! Let me sally forth one more time before I fall asleep.

37, "freight train". On which bums may have free movement. :)

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Awesome! Let me sally forth one more time before I fall asleep.

37, "freight train". On which bums may have free movement. :)

Nicely done! :)

alexaherself
02-06-2014, 03:11 PM
22 Down: shoulder blade (anagram of "dead bull" and "horse").

38 Down: rummage. Hunt = definition; queer = rum; monthly = mag; bottom of wardrobe = E.

48 Across: dress code. (House style = definition? Don't know about the rest :o ).

30 Down: coniroster. (It's a little bird, anyway. I don't know about the Croatian munching pig in cream, but maybe something like "rost" can be a pork-roast, and Conier can be a Croatian or something???).

43 Across must be cameo, because it's certainly a small part (don't know about the rest of the clue, but I'm wondering whether the "big nob" might be CO for commanding officer, and for some reason AME is "the crack of dawn"? :o

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
22 Down: shoulder blade (anagram of "dead bull" and "horse").

38 Down: rummage. Hunt = definition; queer = rum; monthly = mag; bottom of wardrobe = E.

Perfectly parsed! :)

48 Across: dress code. (House style = definition? Don't know about the rest :o ).

Bingo!

Bit of a poor clue this one:

48a - DRESS CODE (subtraction insertion)

Remove the tail of garnished fish in the house style, say (5,4)

remove the tail of - endicator
garnished - DRESSED
fish - COD
in - inserticator
the house style, say - DBE

(DRESS(COD)E(-d)

30 Down: coniroster. (It's a little bird, anyway. I don't know about the Croatian munching pig in cream, but maybe something like "rost" can be a pork-roast, and Conier can be a Croatian or something???).

Shooting wide on this one. :)

43 Across must be cameo, because it's certainly a small part (don't know about the rest of the clue, but I'm wondering whether the "big nob" might be CO for commanding officer, and for some reason AME is "the crack of dawn"? :o

Nicely done! :)

43a - CAMEO (surround)

Big nob straddling the crack of Dawn or small part? (5)

big nob - CEO
straddling - surroundicator
the crack of dawn - AM
or - equvilancicator
small part - def

(C(AM)EO)

alexaherself
02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Ah yes, CEO and AM: that's better. :)

I'm glad "coniroster" isn't right, because I hated it, to be honest. :o

I'll have logistics, instead, then, for 32 Down: LOGS around 1 STICK without the K? ;)

HarryHoskins
02-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Ah yes, CEO and AM: that's better. :)

I'm glad "coniroster" isn't right, because I hated it, to be honest. :o

I'll have logistics, instead, then, for 32 Down: LOGS around 1 STICK without the K? ;)

I think I just about get away with the synonyms, wordplay and def - but only just.

alexaherself
02-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Ooh, well, there's not that much left, now ...

31 Across must be solely? Strictly = definition; follies regularly = O, L, E (2nd, 4th and 6th letters, i.e. at regular intervals/even-numbered letters: we've seen this kind of perversion before?!); clever = sly; to host = surroundicator.

42 Across: rebus. Brainteaser = definition; not sure about the rest, but there's a reversal of "sub" at the end, there, which could be "deputy taken aback" ("sub" as in "sub-editor", perhaps?).

I fancy opiate for 23 Across, because it's a "number". One will be the I, perhaps? Maybe Panama with disc is O and P? And Ate was the Goddess of love? Something like that, anyway?

24 Down, I think, will be tiptop. It's "first class", and a tip is advice, too? And spoonerisms exchange ("tip"?) the first letters ("top") of words? There or thereabouts, perhaps ...

33 Across might be apollo, but I don't really know why. Maybe the name of a theatre ("theater"?) on Broadway? Less confident of this one. :o

HarryHoskins
02-07-2014, 04:16 PM
31 Across must be solely? Strictly = definition; follies regularly = O, L, E (2nd, 4th and 6th letters, i.e. at regular intervals/even-numbered letters: we've seen this kind of perversion before?!); clever = sly; to host = surroundicator.

42 Across: rebus. Brainteaser = definition; not sure about the rest, but there's a reversal of "sub" at the end, there, which could be "deputy taken aback" ("sub" as in "sub-editor", perhaps?).

Correctamundo!

42a - REBUS (reversal subtraction)

Deputy taken aback by abrupt agent's brainteaser (5)

deputy - SUB
taken aback - reversicator
by - posicator
abrupt - tailicator
agent - REP
brainteaser - def

(SUB<)(RE(-p)

I fancy opiate for 23 Across, because it's a "number". One will be the I, perhaps? Maybe Panama with disc is O and P? And Ate was the Goddess of love? Something like that, anyway?

Smooth moves! :)

23a - OPIATE (insertion ends)

Number one in Panama with disc: 'Hot love at last' (6)

number - def (as in one that numbs)
one - I
in - inserticator
panama - PA
with - posicator
disc - O
hot love - ends fodder
at last - endicator

(P(I)A)(O)(T)(E)

24 Down, I think, will be tiptop. It's "first class", and a tip is advice, too? And spoonerisms exchange ("tip"?) the first letters ("top") of words? There or thereabouts, perhaps ...

Right on! :)

Bit of a debate about what's the ideal Spooners swap - but I think this one is just about fair.

33 Across might be apollo, but I don't really know why. Maybe the name of a theatre ("theater"?) on Broadway? Less confident of this one. :o

Nopers .... shooting wide on this one. :)

alexaherself
02-07-2014, 04:47 PM
agent - REP

Ah yes - should have seen that one.

panama - PA

I see - that's on car registration-plates, or something, is it?

I was trying just "P" for that, without really knowing why, apart from the fact that there was one already in the grid.

I suppose, just for the sake of thoroughness(?), one really ought to try helicopter for 30 Down, then? Just because (a) it fits, and (b) it flies (and could arguably, therefore, be referred to as a "bird"?). My lips remain sealed on the subject of Croatians munching pigs, in cream or otherwise. :o

Xelebes
02-07-2014, 07:33 PM
Edit: no

33a: SPEEDO
The word intersecting it is HELICOPTER.

For 33a: APOLLO and OPORTO don't work.

HarryHoskins
02-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I see - that's on car registration-plates, or something, is it?

I was trying just "P" for that, without really knowing why, apart from the fact that there was one already in the grid.

Yuppers - IVR code, I believe. :)

I suppose, just for the sake of thoroughness(?), one really ought to try helicopter for 30 Down, then? Just because (a) it fits, and (b) it flies (and could arguably, therefore, be referred to as a "bird"?). My lips remain sealed on the subject of Croatians munching pigs, in cream or otherwise. :o

Right on! :D

30d - HELICOPTER (surround insertion)

Croatian munches pig in cream and little bird? (10)

croatian - HR
munches - surroundicator
pig - COP
in - inserticator
cream - ELITE
and - eqivalenciator
little bird? - DBT (type of helicopter)

HarryHoskins
02-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Edit: no

33a: SPEEDO
The word intersecting it is HELICOPTER.

Winner! :)

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y395/hhmph001/ccomplete_zps171548b9.png

Thanks to everyone who took part, new and old, armchair and actual. :)

I'll post Cryptic # 14 on March, 1st -- in the meantime, why not try setting one yourself? If you don't have the right crossword software, let me know and we can work something out where I populate a grid for you and you clue it.

As usual I'll put the full parsings shortly. If you spotted an error in a clue or felt it didn't work somehow or wasn't fair, please let me know in thread or by PM as it's the only way I'll get better. :)

HarryHoskins
02-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Here be the parsings. :)

1a - CABIN WINDOW (Semi &lit)

It might be lower around sailor in draught (5,6)

it might be - first part of def as a whole
lower - COW
around - surroundicator
sailor - AB
in - IN
draught - WIND

(C(AB)(IN)(WIND)OW)

7a - DECLAIMED (insertion)

Demand in document sounded off (9)

demand - CLAIM
in - inserticator
document - DEED
sounded off - def

(DE(CLAIM)ED)

12a - CHILDLESSNESS (cryptic)

No issues are raised in this state (13)

Issues as in children - misdirect to totalitarian state

13a - NUDISTS (insertion)

Lunatic stops to insult people out of habit (7)

lunatic - NUTS
stops - inserticator
to insult - DIS
people out of habit - def

(NU(DIS)TS)

14a - EGGBEATER (double def)

14 That which'll help scramble a chopper? (9)

That'll which help scramble - def
a chopper - def
? - QM for cryptic 1st def

15a - LARVA (homophone)

Rock listened to by one in juvenile phase (5)

rock - LAVA
listened to - homoponicator
by - definicator
one in juvenile phase - def

(LAVA/LARVA)

16a - OUNCE (subtration)

Bob loses head in scrap (5)

bob - BOUNCE
loses head - headicator
in - definicator
scrap - def

(-b(OUNCE)

17a - ARPEGGIO (cryptic)

This'll strike a chord with picked on individuals (8)

Misdirect to bullying

19a - CHASTITY BELT (&lit)

Clobber put on Catholic to stop quick sex (8,4)

clobber - BELT
put on - posicator
catholic - C
to stop - inserticator
quick - HASTY
sex - IT

(BELT)(C)(HAST(IT)Y)

21a - HOSANNA (subtraction)

21 Woman with short stockings? Hallelujah! (7)

woman - ANNA
with - posicator
short - tailicator
stockings - HOSE
hallelujah - def

(ANNA)(HOS(-e)

23a - OPIATE (insertion ends)

Number one in Panama with disc: 'Hot love at last' (6)

number - def (as in one that numbs)
one - I
in - inserticator
panama - PA
with - posicator
disc - O
hot love - ends fodder
at last - endicator

(P(I)A)(O)(T)(E)

25a - JESSIE (double def)

25 A right girly girl (6)

a right girly - def
girl - def

27a - FLOORCLOTH (insertion)

One that'll wash foot residue to astound many in church (10)

one that'll wash foot residue - def
to astound - FLOOR
many - LOT
in - inserticator
chruch - CH

(FLOOR)(C(LOT)H)

28a - OPTICAL ART (anagram)

At trial, cop produced an exhibit that confused spectators (7,3)

at trial cop - fodder
produced - anagrind
an exhibit that confused spectators - def

31a - SOLELY (container odd/even)

Strictly's clever to host follies regularly (6)

stricly - def
clever - SLY
to host - containicator
follies - odd/even fodder
regularly - odd/evenicator

(S(-f(O)-l(L)-i(E)LY)

33a - SPEEDO (cryptic)

It records what one's doing on Broadway (6)

misdirect to somekind of theatre paper (yup, I know :))

34a - DERIDES (edgicator insertion)

Jeers at unchecked vanity in top player's comeback (7)

jeers at - def
unchecked - edgicator
vanity - PRIDE
in - inserticator
top player - SEED
comeback - reversal

(SE(-p(RID)-e)ED<)

37a - FRIEGHT TRAIN (crytpic)

On which bums may have free movement (7,5)

If not the gutter - then lavatory humour ...

39a - REAWAKEN (charade)

Again arouse and arouse again (8)

again - RE
arouse - AWAKEN
and - equivalancicator
arouse again - def

42a - REBUS (reversal subtraction)

Deputy taken aback by abrupt agent's brainteaser (5)

deputy - SUB
taken aback - reversicator
by - posicator
abrupt - tailicator
agent - REP
brainteaser - def

(SUB<)(RE(-p)

43a - CAMEO (surround)

Big nob straddling the crack of Dawn or small part? (5)

big nob - CEO
straddling - surroundicator
the crack of dawn - AM
or - equvilancicator
small part - def

(C(AM)EO)

44a - CRESCENDO (anagram)

An increase of volume as soccer end erupts (9)

an increase in volume - def
as - equivalcicator
soccer end - fodder
erupts - anagrind

46a - ARABICA (initial charade)

Middle-Eastern starter of arak and coffee (7)

middle-eastern - ARABIC
starter of - headicator
arak - fodder
and - equivalnaciator
coffee - def

(ARABIC)(A)

47a - AUTHORITARIAN (charade initial)

Strict parent starts to instruct tot born in early April (13)

strict - def
parent - AUTHOR
instruct - I
tot - T
born in early april - ARIAN

(AUTHOR)(I)(T)(ARIAN)

48a - DRESS CODE (subtraction insertion)

Remove the tail of garnished fish in the house style, say (5,4)

remove the tail of - endicator
garnished - DRESSED
fish - COD
in - inserticator
the house style, say - DBE

(DRESS(COD)E(-d)

49a - RAILWAY LINE (cryptic)

If this artery clogs, it might make you late (7,4)

Artery as in transport system - misdirect to heart attack and dead

1d - CYCLE PATH (charade)

Rhythm track that's laid down in the 'hood? (5,4)

rhythm - CYCLE
track - PATH
that's laid down in the 'hood? - DBE

(CYCLE)(PATH)

Further Info:

Bit of a shady def

2d - BRING UP (reversal container)

Local turning up to collect wedding band and broach (5,2)

local - PUB
turning up - reversicator
to collect - containicator
wedding band - RING
and - equivilancicator
broach - def

(B(RING)UP<)

3d - NUDGE (container)

Without clothes, girl welcomed a gentle poke (5)

without clothes - NUDE
girl - G
welcomd - containicator
a gentle poke - def

(NUD(G)E)

4d - INEXTRICABLE (anagram)

Indissoluble elixir can't be drunk (12)

indissoluble - def
elixir cant be - fodder
drunk - anagrind

(ELIXIRCANTBE*)

Further Info:

Dodgy def

5d - DESIRE (container)

Flower taking knight's fancy (6)

flower - DEE (river flower not flower bloomer)
taking - containicator
knight - SIR
fancy - def

6d - WHEELCHAIR (insertion initialism)

Stinker in toilet honks at first - ventilate with movable seat? (10)

stinker - HEEL (as in a cad, rather than a smelly bit of tootsie)
in - inserticator
toilet - WC
honks - fodder
at first - headicator
ventilate - AIR
with - definicator
moveable seat? - DBE

(W(HEEL)C)(H)(AIR)

7d - DESERTS (subtraction)

Apples and pears, say, dropping small leaves (7)

apples and pears, say - DESSERTS
dropping - subtracticator
small - S
leaves - def

(DES(-s)ERTS)

Further Info:

Whaddya mean they ain't desserts!

8d - CANNABIS (reversal)

Prison veto raising internal security for grass (8)

prison - CAN
veto - BAN
raising - reversicator
internal security - IS
for - definicator
grass - def

(CAN)(BAN<)(IS)

Further Info:

Not sure I the reversicator is in the right tense/position to work on veto

9d - ANDROGYNE (anagram)

Deny organ in operation for bisexual? (9)

deny organ - fodder
in operation - anagrind
for - definicator
bisexual? - def (according to Chambers)

(DENYORGAN*)

Further Info:

Clunky surface and not sure about the anagrind

10d - MISUNDERSTAND (subtraction)

Get the wrong idea about short girl beneath rostrum (13)

get the wrong idea about - def
short - tailicator
girl - MISS
beneath - UNDER
rostrum - STAND

(MIS(-s)(UNDER)(STAND)

11d - DISSENTIENT (odd/even insertion)

Heretical kids even institutionalized one in depression (11)

heretical - def
kids - fodder
even - odd/evenicator
institutionalized - SENT
one - I
in - inserticator
depression - DENT

(D(-k(I)-d(S)(SENT)(I)(ENT)

Further info:

Clunky

18d - GONER (subtraction)

Arsenal fan losing heart - he's doomed (5)

arenal fan - GOONER
losing heart - hearticator
he's doomed - def

(GO(-o)NER)

Further Info:

Yes - I can't count!

20d - POST-OP (reflection surround)

Petty officer reflected about weight after surgery (4-2)

petty officer - PO
reflected - reflecticator
about - surroundicator
weight - ST

(PO<(ST)(>OP)

22d - SHOULDER BLADE (anagram)

Dead bull and horse ground into bone (8,5)

dead bull - 1st part of fooder
and - fodder link
horse - 2nd part of fodder
ground - anagrind

(DEADBULLHORSE*)

Further Info:

24d - TIPTOP (spoonerism)

First-class advice from Spooner? (6)

first-class - def
advice - TOPTIP
from spooner - spoonericator

(TOPTIP/TIPTOP)

26d - BIRD'S EYE VIEW (anagram)

I'd be very wise to shake lofty perspective (5,3,4)

id be very wise - fodder
to shake - anagrind
lofty perspective - def

(IDBEVERYWISE*)

27d - FAST FORWARD (charade)

Pacey striker that'll ensure quick promotion? (4,7)

pacey - FAST
striker - FORWARD
that'll ensure quick promotion? - DBE (promotion as in advert)

(FAST)(FORWARD)

29d - ARROW (cockney subtraction)

East End school what's launched in Bow (5)

east end - cockneycator
school - HARROW
what's launched in Bow - def

(-h(ARROW)

30d - HELICOPTER (surround insertion)

Croatian munches pig in cream and little bird? (10)

croatian - HR
munches - surroundicator
pig - COP
in - inserticator
cream - ELITE
and - eqivalenciator
little bird? - DBT (type of helicopter)

32d - LOGISTICS (srround subtraction)

32 Cut wood, about one branch - not a thousand, for organization (9)

cut wood - LOGS
about - surroundicator
one - I
branch - STICK
not - subtracticator
a thousand - K
for - definicator
organization - def

(LOG(I)(STIC(-k)(S)

Further Info:

Xwdy in a bad way

36d - STACCATO (refelction insertion)

Jazz fan reflected during very choppy performance (8)

jazz fan - CAT
reflected - reflecticator
during - inserticator
very - SO
choppy performance - def

(S(CAT<>TAC)O)

38d - RUMMAGE (charade)

38 Hunt for queer monthly at the bottom of wardrobe (7)

hunt for - def
queer- RUM
monthly - MAG (as in magazine)
at - posicator
the bottom of - tailicator
wardrobe - fodder

(RUM)(MAG)(E)

40d - KON TIKI (homophone initials)

Criminal vocally starts to taunt insane killer in raft (3,4)

criminal - CON
vocally - homophonicated
taunt insane killer in - TIKI
raft - def

(CON/KON)(T)(I)(K)(I)

41d - OCTOPI (hidden reverse)

In Karahi pot, cook up seafood (6)

in - hiddenicator
karahi pot cook - fodder
up - reversicator
seafood - def

(-karah)(IPOTCO<)-ook)

45d - CRAZY (surround subtraction)

Frantic shout about good-for-nothing robbing banks (5)

frantic - def
shout - CRY
about - surround
good-for-nothing - LAZY
robbing banks - edgicator

(CR(-l(AZ)-y)Y)

That's all folks. Feel free to let me know if you thought something didn't work. :)

Cella
02-07-2014, 11:48 PM
aww, man! I was just about to come in and sweep it all up for the win! Rats!

*snaps fingers*

:D

alexaherself
02-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Ooh, well done; and once again thanks very much, Harry! :D

I finally understand the Croatian, the cream and the pig. :o

The one I still don't quite understand is "Speedo" ... is it an abbreviation of "speedometer"? What does it "record" (your speed, presumably - or it displays it, anyway?). Why Broadway? I missed this one ... :o :rolleyes: