Best Way to Publish to Multiple Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've got my book on Kindle, and I will soon be ready to publish it through the other outlets.

Is Smashwords the best way to upload it once and have it distributed to the other outlets?

My top goal is simplicity.

Thanks,

Al

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
You'll get many opinions on this topic, from uploading to each sales channel individually, to Draft2Digital, to Smashwords for everything except NookPress. Each self-publisher has to decide for themselves.

I chose to upload directly to Amazon, Smashwords, All Romance and a few titles to NookPress (for specific reasons regarding Smashwords' meat grinder).

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Going individually isn't always possible. You have to have a US address to go direct to Nook, and a Mac to go direct to Apple. I use Smashwords and it's fine. You can now upload your own ePub files to Smashwords rather than go through the meatgrinder.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Listen to Will. He is right. I think.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
One of the main goals of publishing is distribution. So why not distribute to as many resources as possible?

I could be wrong, but I read what he said to mean his top goal is distributing his work in the easiest way possible, rather than getting the most back. i.e. he doesn't mind sharing revenue with a service that uploads to everyone for him.

In that case D2D seems a good option, + they do seem to be constantly innovating.

PianoAl

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Profen is right, in the balance between making money and ease of use, I lean towards laziness ease.

I'll look into smashwords and drafttodigital, thanks.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
D2D is the simplest, and covers the four biggest ebook stores: Amazon, iTunes, B&N, and Kobo. Their interface is so pleasant in comparison to SW and on par with any of the direct options.

It's generally valuable to break from that ultimate simplicity for Amazon and upload direct.

Smashwords is more confusing, but nets you more stores. There are also some minor advantages in royalty rates and options over D2D.

Kobo Writer's Life and B&N's Nook Press are very straightforward, but I actually make more at my low short-story price points by going through SW which I'm doing anyway for the other outlets so I save myself the trouble.

Most troublesome of all is Google Play which is the hand-in-a-blender of uploading experiences. There's no aggregator for this platform so it's go direct (sacrificing a finger or two) or go home.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I'd recommend D2D as well. Avoid Google Play--you have no control over your pricing, and Amazon will eventually price-match.

Google Books is different, and there's no harm in being listed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.