• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Combat scene help

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGeek

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyway I can make this better?

An Elf dropped down from the branch he perched on and grabbed it, now hanging from it. After looking at the two, the Elf swung in the air and let go, allowing him to spin. He executed graceful tornado kicks as he fell, forcing Kyrus to shuffle back. Though the Elf didn’t stop there; as soon as he landed he was back in fighting mode, swinging and jabbing and spinning his daggers. Kyrus barely dodged them. But then, as Nolan started to get up, blood splattered the trees and his face. Kyrus’ hammers had literally crushed and squished the Elf’s head when they hit from both sides. Nolan thought he might puke.
But then came in the ground fighters. They were Wolfmen, savage creatures that weren’t mindless, just not intelligent. Two of them jumped at Nolan, who was unprepared. He stepped back, trying to think of a strategy. One of his attackers clawed at him, and Nolan swung his sickle violently with fear. It opened up the creature’s torso and abdomen, and then the Wolfman choked up blood and collapsed. Before Nolan could react, the other one faked a stab and swept Nolan’s legs out from under him. He landed with a thud and a cloud of dust.
But before the Wolfman could deliver the fatal blow, a perfectly sanded Staff smacked the creature in the face, snapping its chin back. It stood helpless as it was battered by the Staff from all directions, so fast one would think it had a mind of its own.
Nolan slowly got up and clutched his ribs. He saw at least 10 more Elves and Wolfmen come. This would be a lot longer fight than he thought it would. Kyrus had already dropped four, but it didn’t matter now that the reinforcements came. There was also a huge, pale, bloating one eyed monster with a tree brance in its hand. That was a problem.
But finally, Nolan could see who the wielder of the staff was. It was a young bald man, dressed in simple robes that allowed very free movement. Only the Monks of the Skulgor Monastery in the Palai Mountains, the place they were headed, had such grace and skill with the staff.
The Monk took off, knocking down five of the Shatterforge Bandits with one blow of his Staff, leaving Kyrus to deal with them. Then the Monk reached the Elves standing at the back. The first Elf threw a kick at the Monk, but he hooked the leg with his own and then snapped the other one with a quick side kick, breaking the Elf’s foundation and felling him. Nolan looked dumbfounded at how quick the Monk was.
Angrily, the other two elves charged at the young Monk. He remained calm and brought down the Staff on the closest Elf’s head, sending the Elf’s face and body into the ground, tearing up the grass around them. After seeing this, the other Elf had rushed in and gotten too close to the Monk, so the Staff was unusable. It hardly mattered as before the Elf could attack, the Monk had snapped his knee and elbow, sending him onto the ground.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Basically, action is "chop, chop, chop." Quick movements, quick rhythm, staccato structure.

Try limiting yourself to sentences under ten words.

The elf dropped to a hanging position. He flung himself through the air. His kick forced Kyrus back. The elf tucked and rolled, stabbing and slashing at Kyrus.

Mortal single combat doesn't leave a lot of room to ponder intentions or to formulate plans. Strip those away, and bring emotions down to the reptilian level (fear, anger, fight or flight, like that) and the action becomes frenetic.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Once you've reached fifty posts and can post excerpts in the Share Your Work session, I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to offer comment. In general, though, the action is confusing and mechanical. You don't need to go into such detail.

Last edited:

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
1) -ing verbs kill a sense of action.
ex:
The Monk took off, knocking down five of the Shatterforge Bandits with one blow of his Staff, leaving Kyrus to deal with them.

"The Monk's staff was a blur as he took off. Five Shatterforge Bandits fell to the ground, a thin, red line appearing across their heads where the wooden rod had done its work. It was up to Kyrus to finish them off."

2.) Repetition across sentences and paragraphs kill tension
But then, as Nolan started to get up
But then came in the ground fighters.
But before the Wolfman could deliver the fatal blow
But finally, Nolan could see who the wielder of the staff was

That's a lot of Buts for so little word count, and none of them are communicating anything relevant. Try to save 'but' for a conjunction, since it usually indicates an action was a failure. All of these could just as easily be:
"As Nolan tried to stand,"
"The ground fighters had started trickling in,"
"The wolfman stood poised to deliver the fatal strike, but.."
"Nolan could finally see the wielder of the staff that had saved him."

Same thing with 'then.' You have it so many times that it doesn't feel relevant anymore. 'Then' indicates an action occurs in a very tight sequence. You have it so liberally sprinkled throughout that it loses that feeling of relation. Also, try just using 'then' wherever you have 'and then.' It usually still makes sense and the wording is tighter.

3) Higher Stakes Please!
This is the summary of what happens in this section:
a. An elf drops down with a kick that doesn't hurt anyone and dies
b. Nolan kills a wolfman
c. A wolfman who comes from apparently nowhere knocks down Nolan
d. A staff knocks out that wolfman
e. Despite having killed 5 with no injury more serious than a bruised rib, Nolan is worried about 10 more enemies coming.
f. It's okay because the Monk just beats them up easily

As you can see, there's no stakes. They've killed 1/3 of the bad guys with no issue, so the other 2/3 don't feel threatening. The bad guys don't seem to have any particular skill other than kicking ineffectively. You want to make sure your threat escalates well; you want the character to feel really doomed before the cavalry arrives; and you want the resolution to be shorter than the battle itself. Right now the resolution is longer than the fight, that's bad. A better synopsis should look more like:

a. Oh no, they've been spotted by (Bad guy whose weapons and gear are well described)
b. Elf does super tree drop. Kick lands. Fight ensues. Kyrus wins. Its bloody
c. Hark! I see super-ugly, grotesquely described wolfmen!
d. Big fight description, one wolf dies.
e. Fight continues, Nolan falls.
f. This is it! It's really the end! The wolfman's claws are out and he's less that a foot from Nolan and Kyrus is really busy!
g. Monk shows up! Kicks the ass of Nolan's would-be wolfy assassin then immediately proceeds to bring the pain on anyone else.
e. Whew that was close! Hey, aren't you a Monk from that place we're going?

You can see how this puts the emphasis on the characters we care about. We want to see Nolan fight. We want to see Kyrus struggling with a foe. We want to feel like this is a fight they need saving from. That way the arrival of the Monk is built up. Then, after he's saved them, you can mention where he's from, which will lead nicely into the next section

HaloGeek

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much. I didn't know it was so terrible. :(

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much. I didn't know it was so terrible. :(

I wouldn't post if I thought it was terrible. There are a lot of good points to it. It has a clear beginning, middle, and end. You clearly have somewhere you want to go. The good guy characters feel very distinctive. You also seem to have a good image in your mind of what's happening.

I was just trying to provide what I thought was the most relevant advice to take it from 'a clear scene' to 'a riveting action sequence.' Sorry if that came across as harsh.

HaloGeek

Registered
Reaction score
No no, I'm a terrible writer if I can't accept critique. Thank you all so much. Do you think I could edit it with this advice and then show you again, and see what you think?

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I would be willing to. I won't speak for anyone else, though.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to echo Beth: Wait until you have 50 posts and you can put your work up for critique in the SYW section. I'm a resident critic of the SFF section (where you'd post this at) and I'd be more than happy to go into detail of what I see is wrong/right with this.

Otherwise, I have to say this:

Fight scenes and literature do not work well together. It's already hard for a reader to follow a single action, let alone a string of them carried out in precise order without some great guiding help. I've found only a few authors who have been relatively good at action scenes, and they don't blow me away.

I say: Unless the action scene is meant to be seemingly pointless and only used as a needless action scene, focus on everything outside of the action scene. Is this action scene necessary to move the story? If it's not, skip it. What's at stake? Why do these characters need to fight? What's the outcome? The goal? The motivation driving these characters for that goal? Focus on all of that far more than the actual action.

Last edited:

HaloGeek

Registered
Reaction score
This is the updated version, which probably still is bad

An Elf dropped into a hanging position from the tree he was on. He jumped off the tree and kicked at Kyrus, connecting his foot to the Paladin’s face. There was a crack and Kyrus had gone through a tree. The Elf leapt over the stump with his daggers aimed at Kyrus. The Paladin drew in a massive breath and swung his hammers upward. The ribs and chest of the Elf were no more. Kyrus knelt, gasping. Another Elf ran at him from the side and slashed. It opened up a small wound in Kyrus’ chest and he clutched it. Before the Elf could strike again, hammers squished its skull. Kyrus closed his eyes and sighed.
Wolfmen rushed at Nolan, and he swung the sickle downwards and split the creature’s chest in half. The other one dropped down, spun its legs and threw Nolan off his feet and onto the ground. The Wolfman crept up to his prey bared its teeth, which were covered in blood. Its eyes looked savage. Nolan closed his eyes as the Wolfman jabbed at his stomach. It would be his last day. This was it.
He should have been dead. The Wolfman hadn’t completed the blow. Nolan opened his eyes and saw a wooden stick above him. It soon spun and battered the Wolfman until it fell, bruised and bloody.
Nolan slowly got up and clutched his ribs. He saw at least ten more Elves and Wolfmen come. This would be a lot longer fight than he thought it would. Kyrus had only dropped two, but it didn’t matter now that the reinforcements came. There was also a huge, pale, bloated one eyed monster with a tree branch in its hand. That was a problem.
Eventually Nolan could see who the wielder of the staff was. It was a young bald man, dressed in simple robes that allowed very free movement. Only the Monks of the Skulgor Monastery in the Palai Mountains, the place they were headed, had such grace and skill with the staff.
The Monk’s staff was a blur as he took off. Five Shatterforge Bandits fell to the ground, a thin red line appearing across their heads where the wooden rod had done its work. Then the Monk reached the Elves in the back. The first stabbed and slashed at the Monk, but he was too quick. The Monk had blocked and dodged all of them. This wasn’t the end though. He swung the Staff in a cleaving motion. The Elves dropped and bled from their heads.
Angrily, the other two elves charged at the young Monk. He remained calm and brought down the Staff on the closest Elf’s head. It drove the Elf’s face into the ground and flipped him. The last Elf the Monk could see launched a series of kicks. At the end, the Monk stood over the fallen Elf, who was bruised all over.

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
Getting a lot better. I can feel more tension in the scene now (hopefully you do too). The biggest advice I could give is find ways to differentiate your bad guys. Instead of Elf 1, Elf 2, etc, there could be a blond elf, or a muscular elf, or an elf wearing green. Focusing on one or two adjectives can really help locate who's doing what action.

The only other advice has to do with how superhuman you want your characters to be. Getting kicked hurts. Getting kicked so hard you fly into a tree...well, I've never had that happen to me, but I bet I'd pass out. It's okay to have characters be omg bamfs in the style of hollywood action movies, just make sure that's your intention when writing it.

HaloGeek

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, thank you. I'll post it again if I need any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.