Feedback on a cover, please! **RESIZED on POST 36**

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
ETA: the cover image is on post 36 - I had trouble editing it down to the right size for AW, but think I managed it for the latest version. Thanks for the feedback :)

===============

Hi guys, so I'm going to be releasing a YA Action/Adventure novel in the coming weeks, and I would love some feedback on a cover. The image is set, I'm happy with that. But it's the font choice that's killing me. I'm totally torn on it. I see values for both options so I would love to hear other's opinions.

Also, although the book is YA it is geared for the lower 12-15 year old kids in that group. ETA: I'm sure the "book 1" gives it away, but just to be clear these books are totally unrelated to the books in my signature.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I like the letter shapes and the size changes in the first one, but the kerning in the word DISRUPTION hurts my eyes. The spacing irregularities are quite visible in the PTIO.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the first one. It gives the letters a nice framing effect, almost like they're going into the scene while the images are walking out of it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm voting for the curved text. I usually dig 'flat' text more but the texture of No.1 matches the cover much more. I'm not sold on the colour choices for the series name, which feels dull, or the author name which feels out-of-place. After zooming out I'm thinking the author name would be better in white (maybe flat white, though, like the No.2 text?).

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
[EDIT: Woops, second image didn't load so I gave a full cover crit. Will put a proper response here shortly.]

Oh you didn't have to delete it. I would have been curious about your thoughts on the cover too. I look forward to seeing what you think.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Profen, I am not artistic, nor do I have anything like expertise in this arena, but I can give you my opinion as a shopper.

1) I think they both look good. They each stand out and are easily readable.

2) The one on the left does hearken back to your previous series with the curved bottom edge, but for me, it's the more interesting of the two.

The thing is, people who will find the book because they know your earlier books will likely be aware this is a new series, and people who are directed to you by shopping preferences (ie: if you liked that, try this) will be seeing your cover as a standalone image online. If they investigate your other books, they MAY see the other covers and think it's part of a series, but if your blurb says "In Stephen Wibley's new series, The Cambridge Files..." or something, people should figure it out. (*Should being the operative word. 'Course that doesn't mean will. ;))

Good luck! I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I like the letter shapes and the size changes in the first one, but the kerning in the word DISRUPTION hurts my eyes. The spacing irregularities are quite visible in the PTIO.

I hadn't noticed that before, but you're right, and if we go that route I'll def. have that corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.

Definitely the first one. It gives the letters a nice framing effect, almost like they're going into the scene while the images are walking out of it.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right. I was partial to the clean lines version but I did like that the arched lettering looked a bit "younger" if you know what I mean, and I thought since I am targeting the lower YA audience it might have been more visually appealing.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Profen, I am not artistic, nor do I have anything like expertise in this arena, but I can give you my opinion as a shopper.

1) I think they both look good. They each stand out and are easily readable.

2) The one on the left does hearken back to your previous series with the curved bottom edge, but for me, it's the more interesting of the two.

The thing is, people who will find the book because they know your earlier books will likely be aware this is a new series, and people who are directed to you by shopping preferences (ie: if you liked that, try this) will be seeing your cover as a standalone image online. If they investigate your other books, they MAY see the other covers and think it's part of a series, but if your blurb says "In Stephen Wibley's new series, The Cambridge Files..." or something, people should figure it out. (*Should being the operative word. 'Course that doesn't mean will. ;))

Good luck! I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Thansk Elaine, you hit on something I too considered when I saw that option. It's one of the reasons I wanted "Book 1" very clear on the front cover. It is getting a lot more votes than the straight version though, isn't it.

Lots to think about. But I'm starting to lean towards the curved text.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
The first one says "Walt Disney" while the second one says "George Orwell."

That said, if you're going for distopian, cyberpunk, and general YA, I'd go with No. 2.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The first one says "Walt Disney" while the second one says "George Orwell."

That said, if you're going for distopian, cyberpunk, and general YA, I'd go with No. 2.

Nope, not distopian, nor is it cyberpunk. It's a YA action/adventure in the rough vein of mission impossible. That might fall into "general YA" though. Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't anywhere near my area of expertise, but, for what it's worth, I prefer the first one. I like that the title has an arc to it. It frames the picture nicely. Also, I like that the letters get a little dirty as the title gets closer to the picture. I might like it even better if that were more obvious. I hope that helps!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably think of making the title layout roughly jagged (that is, the bottom of the line of text isn't on a straight line, but slightly up and down). That would seem to also indicate disruption.

If I just had to pick between your two choices I would select the second one.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I would probably think of making the title layout roughly jagged (that is, the bottom of the line of text isn't on a straight line, but slightly up and down). That would seem to also indicate disruption.

If I just had to pick between your two choices I would select the second one.

Thanks! Secretly I was hoping more people would pick this option b/c I tend to be partial to clean lines and I liked the look of it more, but opinions are totally divided. I posed the same question on Facebook and it's almost unanimously the straight option.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Overall I like it, but my main thought is WTF is with his hair? Can you get the same hairstyle (assuming it is plot relevant) without making him look quite so uncool?

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Overall I like it, but my main thought is WTF is with his hair? Can you get the same hairstyle (assuming it is plot relevant) without making him look quite so uncool?

Le gasp! LOL. Actually I do know what you mean. I wasn't crazy about the hair either, and it's not plot specific at all. It was the image that ticked the most boxes for what i was going for. I might ask the designer one more time just to see if there's something he can do to reduce it a bit...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Nope, not distopian, nor is it cyberpunk. It's a YA action/adventure in the rough vein of mission impossible. That might fall into "general YA" though. Thanks for the suggestion! Much appreciated.

FWIW, the image reads as "polluted near-future/possible dystopia" to me. If I saw this in the store on an open table (not shelved by genre), that's what I'd expect. Something about the red mist and the glow, or maybe the stride of the characters (who have that "tough kids rebelling against an oppressive System" air about them)... JMHO, of course.

That said, I have to side with those who favor image 1; as has been said, the letters help frame the picture. Though the suggestion to jog the lettering for the disrupted look (mirroring the title) would be interesting to see.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a quick-and-dirty version of kind of what I meant (I wasn't trying to do an actual mock-up). I would think about a different font.

DON'T QUOTE THIS POST--IT'S A HOT-LINKED IMAGE I WILL REMOVE SHORTLY.

[Image removed.]

Last edited:

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Alley, I saw it but couldn't post before now. That was an interesting idea. I might see if my designer can put something like that together just to see the option. Thanks!

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this version? I'm partial to the straight title since I think curved is working b/c the characters are standing, and I worry that the ideas I have for books 2 and 3 covers won't work well with it. I did try the jumbled version Ally suggested, but for uniform over the series (the next one is titled ABDUCTION) it might not be the best fit.

So that leaves me with this. What do you think?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You just want comments on the title text, right?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think your two figures are much too big, and they should be integrated more with the background "smoke and mist" (they are somewhat now, but I would have them even more so).

It kind of a nitpicking comment, but since you have all-caps on all the text, I might think about using caps and lowercase for ----Book One---- . I might also play around with its placement. At it is, I think it might be just a little too tight in with the main title. I might even think about moving it to below THE CAMBRIDGE FILES

All of these are just "what if" ideas. When doing graphic design you often have to play around with placements and relative size, of course.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think your two figures are much too big, and they should be integrated more with the background "smoke and mist" (they are somewhat now, but I would have them even more so).

It kind of a nitpicking comment, but since you have all-caps on all the text, I might think about using caps and lowercase for ----Book One---- . I might also play around with its placement. At it is, I think it might be just a little too tight in with the main title. I might even think about moving it to below THE CAMBRIDGE FILES

All of these are just "what if" ideas. When doing graphic design you often have to play around with placements and relative size, of course.

You know what, the designer originally had the two people more "in" the design but I asked him to sharpen them up a bit and the reason for that is since I'm putting this out on my own, I use POD technology (a.k.a. toner rather than ink) and some of the images dull in that process. At least it has in my experience. It's also why, for the print version of the book the title will be in white, rather than the grey scale.

I think what I might have to do is see a proof and then move forward at that point with some other revisions.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I really do appreciate it and you can be sure I take them to heart.

Cheers!