THE PIRATE SERIES, "BLACK SAILS."

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As the title says, there is a new pirate series on premium channel STARZ, or the non premium channel Encore, called Black Sails.

1st episode is currently playing and I am watching. So far not bad, but does not live up to the opening of a series like Rome, the Tudors, or even, AGOT.

But, as I suspected, the nudity gods have opened the portal and it seems each new series wants to out nude the previous series. Not as bad as Spartacus, but about as eventful as AGOT.

But what the hey, what can we expect from a series about Pirates...

Anyone else watching?

Last edited:

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first episode. So far I like it, however I thought the acting/script was a little cheesy at times. I'd like to see where the series goes.

I hate that I have to wait a week for the next episode though. Netflix has spoiled me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Eh. Acting wasn't bad. High production values. I got bored about 2/3 through. Mr. Lily said he was interested.

[begin cynical mode]

Overall, it came across to me as what Pirates of the Caribbean would've been if Disney allowed gratuitous f-bombs and all other slang terms for one's naughty bits, plus the totally unexpected really, never saw it coming :rolleyes: soft-core girl-on-girl scene(s).

[/cynical mode]

All that said, we'll give it one more ep at least.

Last edited:

V.W.Singer

Purveyor of naughtiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vwsinger.com
The setting looked pretty accurate, from the architecture to the pirate politics, and prostitution was one of the major industries of the pirate colonies.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I wish Eleanor was a stronger character. She comes across as rather weak in this ep, even though they seem to have want to portray her as a strong character.

So far, most intriguing are Vane, Rackham and Anne Bonny. Didn't like Flint all that much.

I kind of wish this would be a little bit more like Pirates of the Carribbean - more action, more sly schemes - but maybe it will after a while.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll portray Rackham as the gigantic wuss he really was at the end. Wasn't he the guy who Anne Bonny essentially called a cowardly dog? (After he and his men hid while Anne Bonny and Mary Read fought?)

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't found it since the first episode. I think Encore showed the premere and that was it. And that pisses me off...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I wonder if they'll portray Rackham as the gigantic wuss he really was at the end. Wasn't he the guy who Anne Bonny essentially called a cowardly dog? (After he and his men hid while Anne Bonny and Mary Read fought?)
Being Pirate-illiterate, I didn't realize they were including real pirates. I do know Flint and crew are all characters from Treasure Island--which, even though Billy is always flirting with danger, makes me think he's somewhat safe from harm (he has to get the map to Jim!).

Jack is sort of being portrayed as a "coward" already--tho a smart and conniving one. I actually quite like him.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Piracy has gone on on for thousands of years, in many bodies of water. I wonder why popular culture is so fixated on the Caribbean in the 17th and 18th centuries.

At least they're not all talking like Robert Newton.

The production values are pretty impressive, and I always like seeing wooden sailing ships.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Piracy has gone on on for thousands of years, in many bodies of water. I wonder why popular culture is so fixated on the Caribbean in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Because those were the first pirate movie settings, and they're the stories that writers like Poe used in their stories (Capt. Kidd). It's the same reason that people imagine pirates sailing huge ships like the Jolly Roger or the Black Pearl, when the real ones would have been smaller and faster. Hollywood needed the space provided by the bigger vessels to stage swordfights, so it's what people "know".

Nina Kaytel

I spell Gray with an 'E''
Registered
Reaction score
Dag. I was I still had Starz.

I'll lurk on this thread and see if it is worth buying since I have limited internet no Netflicks or similar for Nina.

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really liking it. Especially with canon bi characters. Besides, anything with pirates will sell to me.
If only it weren't that, in the meantime, one part of the FF pairing gets raped for 4 episodes. Yep, very refreshing, well done, show...

Am I the only one that finds the dialogs sounding a bit too modern, or as they might say "f%*#ing modern"?

Jett.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not enjoying this show very much. I find most of the characters unlikeable, and there's no witty or intriguing dialogues to save them.

But I'll probably finish watching it because is in the same time period as my WIP. If they'd only get out of the island more often...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I finally caught up with the series this past weekend. One thing I have noticed, very little humor in the series...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the season final last night...

I will say this, they took a lesson from A Game of Thrones in that none of the characters are safe. I wonder if this is going to be the new normal now, no characters are safe...

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Am I the only one that finds the dialogs sounding a bit too modern, or as they might say "f%*#ing modern"?
It was like that with HBO's Deadwood, a few years back. They want to show that it's a dangerous, rough place, where everybody uses bad language; but they don't think a modern audience will understand historical cussing.

Jett.

Registered
Reaction score
Watched the season final last night...

I will say this, they took a lesson from A Game of Thrones in that none of the characters are safe. I wonder if this is going to be the new normal now, no characters are safe...

Mhh, though that was no Ned Stark. More like a Robert Baratheon...
I had read your post before I watched the finale. They offed the one I predicted... though not one from the ones I hoped - big pool.

I'm a bit angry at the show: so far violence, rape , nudity, f-bombs have been used to try to convey what characters, story and dialog are lacking.

Ep08 had one good point though: finally some good looking naval action and broadsides.

I'll stop griping, now.