We're all writers here...

jrhogbin

Writing is like breathing for me.
Registered
Reaction score
What is your greatest writing achievement? What did you do that made yourself proud as far as writing goes? Bragging time.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi JR, I believe it is having written two or three poems - ones that came out well and which I still like - that I am proudest of, out of all the writing I've ever done.

How about you? What's your personal peak of pride? :D

jrhogbin

Registered
Reaction score
My novel just hit 40k, which is the halfway point to my goal. I am really proud of myself because of it.

And great job with your poems! Be proud of your work!
And, to that quote, I am laughing so hard.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. And you too, be proud. I am honestly in awe of people who can write books! I only manage short pieces, but, who knows? Maybe one day.... :D

jrhogbin

Registered
Reaction score
I also just noticed your picture. It is so adorable.
And I can't write poetry, so everyone who can write that impresses me!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
winning poetry contests here.... and now this memoir. :)
Welcome!!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. My greatest writing achievement...probably finishing my first novel. It's far from my best work, but there's a special feeling you get when you finish your first novel that you never quite get again.

Finishing the four-book series it spawned was also a great writing moment. It felt just as special, possibly more so.

As for tangible accomplishments like getting published...not yet. But I will be.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Welcome to AW. :)

I'd say my biggest achievements as a writer would be finishing not one but two double length manuscripts just over a year apart.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Won a short story contest on another forum. My work received a staggering two votes in total. =p It made everything seem worth the effort though. Like, 'Oh, wow! People liked words I stuck together! I'm a genius!'

Congrats on hitting 40k, JR; I wish you luck on finishing the manuscript.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
When my first short story got published and readers compared it to Angela Carter and Shirley Jackson. That made me very smug and pleased, as I love both of them.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Getting 3 stories into NATURE Futures - having had to read the journal for work back in the day made the sales to the market all the sweeter.

Squids

Battling the Sea
Registered
Reaction score
I had a short story published not too long ago. Was the first time I ever subbed anything. It wasn't my best work, but it squashed the feelings that my writing really stunk and everyone was just being nice. :D

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
I won an award for screenwriting and directing with a work which was one of the two favorites of the Hollywood Producer, Andy Vajna (Terminator, Basic Instinct, Total Recall). Then I'm proud that I was able to create a brand new genre, Auralight Fantasy, and my readers also accepted it and love it. But for I'm proud the most that my book is now available on 6 continents and in 65 countries. Oh, and my character, at least her art, what I created (I'm also a graphic artist) was in space two times (STS134 Endeavour and STS135 Atlantis), and the winged lady's name is on Mars, carried by the Curiosity. And my character has a plaquette about each of these achievements (If you don't believe it, it's on the website, under the menu; Angeni's Corner. Just scroll down. The plaquettes are after the lady's introduction.). :)

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
A writing accomplishment?

Once in a while, someone clicks "Yes" on the "Was this review helpful?" thing on Amazon for one of my reviews. Does that count?

Um... I've "won" five out of five NaNoWriMos, even if the stories are a mess.

And way back in third or fourth grade, I won an Honorable Mention for a story I wrote in class.

Yeah, that's about it so far as writing accomplishments to date.

*goes back to beating head against latest effort*

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh god, am I really about to admit this? Publicly?

Back when I was a teenager cutting my teeth on fanfiction, I wrote a silly little guide on how to recognize and avoid writing Mary Sues. This was just over ten years ago now. To this day, I still get people finding, reading, and reviewing it. It's been translated into two other languages, and one girl gave a small presentation on it at an anime convention (all with permission). Something I wrote halfway as a joke has survived completely on its own for a decade, and if the reviews are anything to go by, it's still helping people better themselves as writers. Honestly, it's the only reason I let myself get back into writing after I almost gave up. If something I did was good enough to earn its own legs, so to speak, maybe it was something I shouldn't give up on yet. It's my greatest writing achievement for both general popularity and keeping me going. :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, my greatest achievement has been writing my second book. There was a four year space between my first and second novels, and I had days when I seriously thought I had lost the touch.

Since I've proven that I CAN write more than one, now my goal is to actually get short stories and novels published.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Oh god, am I really about to admit this? Publicly?

Back when I was a teenager cutting my teeth on fanfiction, I wrote a silly little guide on how to recognize and avoid writing Mary Sues. This was just over ten years ago now. To this day, I still get people finding, reading, and reviewing it. It's been translated into two other languages, and one girl gave a small presentation on it at an anime convention (all with permission). Something I wrote halfway as a joke has survived completely on its own for a decade, and if the reviews are anything to go by, it's still helping people better themselves as writers. Honestly, it's the only reason I let myself get back into writing after I almost gave up. If something I did was good enough to earn its own legs, so to speak, maybe it was something I shouldn't give up on yet. It's my greatest writing achievement for both general popularity and keeping me going. :)

This is brilliant :D

Mine is writing some stuff that doesn't suck, probably.

Having my agent say "it's a thrill to be able to work with such a talented writer" was a pretty good feeling.

Any time I'm able to move someone, or give them reason to consider a new way of thinking, I feel like I've achieved something.

Winning awards has been nice too, but that's the kind of stuff I hold on to.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
My column, which had been cancelled, received a state-wide first place for Personal Humor Column writing, and my bosses decided to give it back to me. :)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first short story, its not great but im proud of it

You should be! Good going. They'll get better, too. :)

My column, which had been cancelled, received a state-wide first place for Personal Humor Column writing, and my bosses decided to give it back to me. :)

That's sweet revenge, for ya. :D

Me, right now, after a dry spell of over six months of no writing to speak of, I am proud of having written a little piece for the kidlit contest (see bouncy annoying sigline for info) and not only that, I wrote two! (And then had to choose which one to sub, but yeah.)

I guess I just needed something to prime the pump.

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
To be quite honest - I get on Absolute Write to have fun

My writings , however, is a different story. When someone likes what I have done, it just makes my day. I love to see the smiles I get after they receve on of my "Personalized Greeting Cards" or read my tongue twisting poem/stories, such as "Flick, the freckle-faced flea flicker flayer", or "Flippey Floppety Flew".

I know when I have created a diswaster, and I smile a private satisfaction when I even like what I have done.

Natira

Registered
Reaction score
Well I was awfully proud of myself when I received acceptances at the age of thirteen, but none were pursued for my own reasons.
Now, however, I would say that my greatest achievement has been a bit of an addiction to writing. I literally can not stop writing! :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The morning I got an email from my agent telling me my third book had hit the USA Today bestseller list. I didn't come down off :e2cloud9: for at least a day. :D