Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandirhoades.com
I'm thinking of self-pubbing a book I've been working on. It would (theoretically) have a companion book about a year or so later. They're intended for college students who are activists. I had major successes on this front when I was in college, and the books are basically what I wish someone had told me.

I've only started researching self-pubbing as an option. I think it may work as I know this is a very small niche market. I would have to use the people I know through my work to get into a couple of schools first. For those of you who have more experience with self-publishing, does this book sound reasonable for this avenue?

Also, I've been looking at Book Locker. Are they good? Everything seems great from their site. It would only be $217 since I'll provide my own cover, and I figure that's a low-cost investment.

I'd appreciate any advice or direction.

Brandi

Brandi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandirhoades.com
I haven't looked into Lulu much. Would I be able to buy author copies at a discounted rate? Basically, I'd be peddling the books in person and would want to have copies with me.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
How long's your book? There's a cost calculator over at the Lulu site that'll tell you exactly what your cost will be per copy.

Then figure in shipping.

Then figure out what it would cost for however many copies you think you'll sell if you buy them all at once through a local printshop.

What are the advantages of print on demand?

Basically, that you don't need to find warehouse space for unsold books. You have a higher per-copy cost. Does saving on storage equal or exceed the extra you'll pay per copy? That's the question you should be asking.

But, as someone with a specialized non-fiction book, where you are already wired into the niche that's interested in the subject, you're better suited for self-publication than many.

RobCurtis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
robcurtis.wordpress.com
There are a thousand-and-one ways of getting your words onto paper. I've even self-printed some chapbooks for a mockup (32 pages), and looked into self-printing and self-binding 100 page novellas - both for local consumption, sales in the 'less-than-ten-per-week' initially.

The difficulty comes with making the sales. It sounds like you're in that market, but how would you sell? Who specifically would you sell to? And for how much?

Lulu seems to be the PoD of choice at the moment. Just waiting for an anthology (in which I feature) to be delivered, to see the quality. Using a local printer would be cheaper on a 'per-copy' basis, if you're into the hundreds. If, like me, you need to test the market first, Lulu is a low investment risk option.

Status
Not open for further replies.