PDA

View Full Version : Who is on your bookshelf?

OneTeam OneDream
03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
What authors appear on your bookshelf the most?

For me (and my wife)

Anne Rice (9) (hers and mine)

Dean Koontz (9) (her)

John Grisham( 6) (me)

Stephen King (4) (her)

Dan Brown (4) (her)

Mario Puzo (4) (me)

Jenna Glatzer (4) (me)

Mick Foley (2) (me)

I'm sure I'm missing some that I have more than 2 or 3 of, but this is a good start. Who is on your bookshelf?

BlackCrowesChick
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Tons of Stephen King. There are others on it, but he's the only one who appears more than two or three times.

book_maven
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Interesting question. I'm a nonfiction reader (though I do read some classics) so that's more difficult because I choose subjects, not authors. Nevertheless, in no particular order, I'd say these authors:

Bill Bryson
Sinclair Lewis
Dorothy Parker
Charles Dickens
Simon Winchester

rich
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm quite up there in years and have accumulated way too many. I'm in the process of organizing them in somewhat of a unique way. If any of you want to try my system go to: http://www.absolutewrite.com/fun/franz_kafka.htm

poetinahat
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
- P.G. Wodehouse (Jeeves omnibus and others)
- Oscar Wilde (complete works, with illustrations by Beardsley)
- William Shakespeare (complete works, with illustrations by Rockwell Kent)
- (nearly all) Jonathan Gash [the Lovejoy novels]

Probably the two gifts I've enjoyed giving most have been to my dad:
- Complete works of Byron, several-volume set printed somewhere around 1821
- Poetical works of Longfellow, signed by Longfellow

It seemed so very wrong, but I felt fortunate, that such wonderful books cost so little to buy. I miss that about living in Boston; you wouldn't even find that sort of thing out here.

WDS
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Brian Jacques, Edgar A. Poe, Pullman, Jon Stewart, and tons of misc stuff.

book_maven
03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Complete works of Byron, several-volume set printed somewhere around 1821

I might have the same set. My set has seven books printed in 1821. Are yours golden brown, on the smallish side?

Celia Cyanide
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Suzuki Koji

Lewis Carroll

JT Leroy

VC Andrews (unfortunately)

William Burroughs (very fortunately)

poetinahat
03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I might have the same set. My set has seven books printed in 1821. Are yours golden brown, on the smallish side?
Could very well be! I'll check with Dad!

eldragon
03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Everything Charles Bukowski ever did (husbands collection, he still reads it.)
John Fante (both)
Chris Offutt (mine)
Erich Maria Remarque (mine)

We have bookshelves full of books, but no plural authors works besides the ones I mentioned.

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Sam Watterston (Calvin and Hobbes collections)

Shadow_Ferret
03-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Well, I'm not one to name names, but I do have a famous author on my bookcase. He's in a box. In pieces. Shhh.

rhymegirl
03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
No, Who's on first.

But seriously, I'm reading Ray's book now, The Pacific Between.

I have tons of books in my bookcase that I've already read. These days I normally just take something out of the library to read--whatever looks good.

Maryn
03-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Geez, too many of too many authors to count. Someone should require proof that I have bookshelf space before being allowed to sell me a used book, you know?

I've amassed large numbers of series mysteries, legal thrillers, espionage thrillers, suspense, and horror, by all the authors who are household names. They're not all I read, of course, but when the library's selling stuff I occasionally read three for a dollar paperback, a dollar hardbound, I am so buying! (I've bought second and third copies of novels I thought I might have but wasn't sure, many times, too.)

Maryn, book hound

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Archie comics.

robeiae
03-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Archie comics.
Which you skim through looking for pictures of Betty at the beach...

I don't keep fiction on my main bookshelves--don't have the room. On the main ones:
Nietzsche
Foucault
Plato
Hobbes
Thomas Sowell
Niall Ferguson
Steven Runciman

On the fiction ones:
Zelazny
Moorcock
Clive Cussler

Rob :)

William Haskins
03-03-2006, 06:56 PM
What authors appear on your bookshelf the most?... Who is on your bookshelf?

some mornings i wake up and find william burroughs there, perched like a gargoyle. i have to shoo him off with a broom, at which time he hides under the bed for a while, eventually emerging to eat from the cat's bowl.

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
some mornings i wake up and find william burroughs there, perched like a gargoyle. i have to shoo him off with a broom, at which time he hides under the bed for a while, eventually emerging to eat from the cat's bowl.Really? Wow, mine is Poe.

The bastard keeps me up at night with his giggling.

William Haskins
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
smoke some opium with him around 10 pm and he'll sleep like a baby.

robeiae
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
You guys need to borrow Freud from Shadow Ferret...

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
smoke some opium with him around 10 pm and he'll sleep like a baby.
Wow, thanks! And all this time I thought it was cuz I sleep naked.

kathompson
03-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Stephen King, David Eddings, Anne Tyler, Orson Scott Card, Robert Jordan, Anne Rice, Chuck Palahniuk...

I like literary junkfood. The Spouse Thingy likes fantasy. Our bookshelves look like someone can't make up their mind about genre...

Shadow_Ferret
03-03-2006, 08:38 PM
You guys need to borrow Freud from Shadow Ferret...

Dangit! How'd you guess who was in the box? :(

robeiae
03-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Dangit! How'd you guess who was in the box? :(It was the only thing that could rightly account for YOU.

Rob :D

spike
03-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Yesterday is was a cat.

Today, a diet coke can.

Tomorrow, who knows?

dahmnait
03-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I like literary junkfood. The Spouse Thingy likes fantasy. Our bookshelves look like someone can't make up their mind about genre...
Sounds like mine with poetry books, tech books, non-fiction books (most on ancient cultures) and a few odds and ends thrown in to the mix. I am surprised that I have enough room for me, or my kids for that matter considering that thier room is filled with books too.

arrowqueen
03-04-2006, 03:53 AM
I don't have any. I have a nice collection of Hummel figurines.

Serenity
03-04-2006, 04:19 AM
For the most? It's probably a tie between Terry Brooks and David Eddings. But there's an eclectic mix of Dan Brown, Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, Douglas Adams, David Baldacci, Tolkien, Janet Evanovich, Madeline L'Engle, various children's authors (I teach), several language dictionaries- spanish, Italian, Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic... uh... a book on American Government, a nursing drug guide, Bloom County (the early years, although I did like Outland) Calvin and Hobbes, a guide to the art of Maurice Sendak along with several of his books, teaching guides to literature.... if I named everything, this would take forever. :D

Pat~
03-04-2006, 07:35 AM
It depends which bookshelf. The philosophers hang out on 2 of them; saints and mystics on 4 or 5; Bible commentators on at least 2; and history and contemporary non-fiction authors on more shelves than I can count right now. Our library is so full there are stacks on the floor, and fiction got relegated to the family room. And collections of some favorite authors (eg. C.S.Lewis, Evelyn Underhill, John Piper, Thomas Merton) got moved to the bedroom.