Ana and Katherine's relationship in 50 Shades of Grey

WriteRex

Registered
Reaction score
I checked out 50 Shades Of Grey at my local library in e-book format, because I wanted to know why people were crazy about it. As I examined Ana and Katherine's relationship, I noted somehow Katherine - the blonde - could somehow persuade Ana to do anything, including sending Ana on the trip to do the interview at Ana's expense.

I was just wondering if I should learn something about that type of human relationship, because I have this character who is enchanted by another's character's good looks, and there is no magic involved. But I am not sure if it's going to be realistic if the character is going to be helpless when it comes to another person's good looks, unless that character is irresistibly attracted to the other character under a spell.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
1) I wouldn't turn to 50 Shades as a teaching example of solid writing - that's not what people are reading the book for :p

2) Just like anything else in life, looks aren't everything (but they certainly help a lot). No, it's not believable to have a character be SO good-looking that they can "make" other people do things for them - but it is plausible that a particularly good-looking but manipulative character will find *some* other people who will do *some* things for the sheer pleasure of their attention. In those cases, the good looks usually need to be accompanied by something else - massive charisma, fame, riches, etc. Also a complete lack of remorse for manipulating someone like that.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Suggestion: Go to Jeannie Campbell's Character Therapist blog and read the archives. Jeannie is a licensed marriage and family therapist as well as a writer, and has quite a few posts on aberrant psychology as it might apply to characters.

The link I'm giving you below is to one of her regular Friday columns, "Dear Jeannie," where readers can write in and get more insight about their characters' dilemmas.

Dear Jeannie

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't use good looks as the reason for the attraction/influence. This is one of those times that personality counts. Maybe the enchanter is charismatic, or has something about them that the follower wishes she could emulate, or has exciting ideas that the follower wants to be part of. Or, the follower is caught up in the 'what on Earth is she going to do now?' of it all.
And sometimes people feed off each other. Maybe the 'enchanter' is egged on by the admiration of the follower.