• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for Beta – Soft Science Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking for a couple of people to go over a soft sci fi novel I’ve written. It’s been through several re-writes.

I’m interested in flow, plot, character development, and whether or not the story hangs together well. If there are obvious grammar or spelling issues (there shouldn’t be), fine, but that’s not the focus. If something doesn't fit, like the wristwatch in the Middle Ages, mention it.

I will expect you to be honest. If there are good things, feel free to tell me – always nice to hear – but I’m more interested in those items that need an upgrade.

If you’re interested in an exchange, fine - happy to. I read and enjoy most things, although not horror, and no spectacularly graphic violence. I don’t mind YA, although I’ve been told I’m bad at it, as I don’t understand the genre that well.

What I'll want to do is exchange a few thousand words to begin, so as to judge whether our mutual writing and crit styles will mesh well.

I’ve attached a prospective query, although it hasn’t been through QLH yet – still a work in progress:

When David Harvey discovers a special coin that answers questions with sounds that no one else can hear, it leads him on a hunt through Manhattan that ends with the discovery, buried within the bedrock, of a long since forgotten chamber.

Within that chamber, he discovers a young woman in what seems to be a perfect state of preservation. He realizes how perfect when she awakens, a bit dehydrated, but otherwise little the worse for wear. Inexplicable things begin happening almost immediately and he has no way of getting them explained, for Arin speaks neither English nor any other language he has ever heard of…until the following morning, when she does.

‘When Sleeping Girls Wake’ is a soft science fiction novel of 94,000 words.

Contrary to what horror aficionados would have you believe, some things long since buried should be dug up, but there are consequences. Lives change. Sometimes, in rare cases, the world changes. This is one of those times.

(This last paragraph will likely not make the cut, but I like it, so I put it in anyway.)
icon7.gif

Please PM me if you’re interested. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.