Questions about lockup

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
First, let me make sure I'm using the correct term.

I believe lockup is the short term holding cell in a police station, the place you would stay immediately after being arrested, but before being convicted of anything. If this is incorrect, please let me know the proper word.

1) How long is the average stay?

2) What's the maximum amount of time someone can be legally held in lockup?

3) Is there video surveillance of the prisoners?

4) If you discovered that a prisoner had vanished and been replaced by a large Labrador retriever, what would you do with the dog? What would you do re: trying to find the prisoner?

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
4) If you discovered that a prisoner had vanished and been replaced by a large Labrador retriever, what would you do with the dog? What would you do re: trying to find the prisoner?

I would assume that the dog was a were, and I probably would try holy water or something similar.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Lockup

I believe lockup is the short term holding cell in a police station, the place you would stay immediately after being arrested, but before being convicted of anything. If this is incorrect, please let me know the proper word.

<Actually a holding cell is just that, to hold people for a very short time, in my experience. When someone is arrested, they go through the booking process and generally get put in the jail population. In the prison where I worked, we had holding cells, which were just a place for the people to sit till we got to them. There were no cameras. I cannot speak for police departments. They would probably be more likely to have cameras for liability purposes.>

1) How long is the average stay?

<If intake staff is on the ball, a few hours at most. Policy will vary by department.>

2) What's the maximum amount of time someone can be legally held in lockup?

<Again, depends on policy. Call your local department and ask them.>

3) Is there video surveillance of the prisoners?

<Whatever works for your story. Could have a camera and it quit working during the critical time. I would imagine most places have cameras going just from the liability aspect if nothing else.>

<Read him/her their rights and charge them with crossing a guard-line with contraband. Book them through ID and offer them a lawyer. As to other, the facility would be placed under lock-down and the emergency escape policies would be implemented.>

<In quasi-seriousness, my very first thought would be that some staff member was playing a practical joke. It has and does happen often.>

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding cell or tank is for people just brought in.

Lock up either means the most stringent space in the mental unit of a hospital, OR it means solitary confinement.

How long the police can keep a person prior to arraignment varies by state and sometimes by county.

I agree with the practical joke suggestion for the Labrador.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
4) If you discovered that a prisoner had vanished and been replaced by a large Labrador retriever, what would you do...
Call Criss Angel and tell him to play his mind freak games elsewhere...

Jeff

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I imagine the dog would be given to animal control and taken to the pound.
A friend of mine was held in a cell for 3 days until he could be brought before a judge, I remember he told me that they got baloney sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I think the police would assume the prisoner had escaped, and send out an APB on them.
Don't know about cameras. Would they bother recording a cell where people who can't change into dogs can't get anywhere anyway?